Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Jan 15, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #6,106 of 8,134
My personal list based on use (which coincides with my personal preference of sound):

HiFiMan HE400S
Shure SE 535 with the BT1 cable (they turn the shures into Bluetooth headphones)
NAD Viso HP50
Hifiman RE400

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:57 AM Post #6,107 of 8,134
Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 250ohm
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pr0 80ohm
Harman Kardon Soho
Sennheiser HD 439

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #6,108 of 8,134
It's been a while but here we go. Even to me I'm a bit surprised how I've ranked them. It's not based off which is "per say" the best and most expensive, but I what I get the most enjoyment from.

*AFO...Just a great sounding HP. Tilted to the warm side but detailed and smooth. The treble is spot on with just enough bass to satisfy my bass-head cravings. It checks off all my boxes for my kind of sound signature
*HE 560... A very surprising HP. I never expected it to sound this good. I love the soundstage and don't understand what everyone is saying that the bass is limited (well some have said that) as I hear great deep sub bass and enough bass to be a bit more on the fun side. Paired with the LYR2 and the right tube, submine. Love it!
*Modded TH-X00 Purplehearts...Still can't get enough of it. Deep, punishing bass that's clean while not bleeding into the other frequency ranges. The driver dampening did so much for the overall sound that this should be a prerequisite before buying. It also tames the treble a bit and brings the mids forward just enough where you can definitely hear the difference. The Ori pad swap also helps!
*Meze 99 Classic... This could be at the top of my list but the other 3 just edge this favorite out. For the money to value to performance for this HP, it's the best of my entire lot.
*Focal Elear...If it weren't for the splashy treble, this would probably be at the top of my list at #1. I just can't get past that treble.
*Denon AH-D2000...I love this HP but the ones listed above it I just like more. If this was the only HP I owned, I'd be happy.
*HD 650...Still an incredible HP and again the value to performance is great and really can't be beat. It's just like I said above, I like all my HP's listed above better.

I'm very happy with what I own. :L3000:

Edit: I listen to progressive metal, Djent, hard rock and classic rock.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #6,109 of 8,134
Price/performance/reliability/comfort of what I have owned so far:
DT770
AKG K812 can be find for cheaper than an HD800 because it received negative reviews. It is an overall best headphone.
HE560 similar reference sound than the AKG K812 with a bit less resolution, space and neutrality. Probably the best planar I have heard so far.
LCD2.2F heaviest headphone I ever had, not reliable with two drivers failure, pricey and you need to enjoy a dark sound with less treble. Very rich mids though I don't think any top headphone can rival the mids and bass of an Audeze LCD2/3.
Grado325 uncomfortable against the ears, not neutral, no subbass and exaggerated treble. Never tried a mod though.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #6,112 of 8,134
Cans:

• Senn hd 598 Cs (close based, more neutral sound, for music, w. 7N OCC silver plated cable)

• ATH M50x (close based, more bass and v shaped, for movie)

• Plantronics Backbeat Pro 2 ANC (flight, w. silver plated cable)

IEMs:

• Etymotic ER3SE (BA, neutral, precision and analytical listening, w. ER4 cables) thanks to etymotic earplugs. Bought with some payments received after selling stuffs.

• Brainwavz B400 (quad BAs, more neutral, w. 7N OCC pure silver TRRS 2.5 mm cable) bought with Amazon refund.

• Sony XBA H3 (hybrid 2 BAs + LCD dynamic, sony famous EX1000 is based on LCD dynamic, w. 6N OCC silver plated TRRS 2.5mm cable)

• RHA MA650 (Dynamic, 78 SGD)...

• Xiaomi ANC Hybrid (flight, 1 BA + 2 Dynamics, ANC)

• Venture Electronics Monk Plus (Dynamic, Everyday, $5)

• Plantronics Voyager 5200 UC (Skype or online communication/interview, Business)

Other:

• Sony WS 413 (waterproof sport walkman, bought last time with vouchers from insurance sign up)

• Etymotic Research ER20XS earplugs (concert, massdrop)

• Fiio Q1 MK2, Fiio BTR3, Fiio A1, Lepy LP A1, Fiio D03 DAC (in future, to accompany lepy amp)

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 6:37 AM Post #6,113 of 8,134
1. Sennheiser HD 595.
2. Sennheiser MX 760.
3. Superlux HD-668B (these are the most uncomfortable headphones that I've ever used - also I don't like how they sound).

Jan 21, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #6,114 of 8,134
Most liked to least

HD600 - Never disappoints
HD700 - Go to for gaming and when detail is important
HD589 Cs - Decent portable sound. Closed "Sennheiser" sound
MS - 1000 - Fun, but only for a few minutes at a time
DT990 - Love these for walking. Comfortable and theyre like earmuffs. Not my favored signature though. Good alternative for gaming
AT M50 - These are collecting dust

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #6,115 of 8,134
Currently I own only three pairs of hifi headphones, so here we go.

Hifiman HE560
AKG K812
Beyerdynamic DT 990

I don't know whether I prefer any over the others. Basically it comes down to price – I paid 3-4 times the price for the first two over the DT 990, hence I don't dare to like the DT 990 as much. But they're also one leap to another direction in sound. I will probably sell either the K812 or the HE560 but I have to decide which one to stick with. But it might be that I will only be able to sell both after getting a totally new set of cans...

Jan 21, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #6,116 of 8,134
Currently I own only three pairs of hifi headphones, so here we go.

Hifiman HE560
AKG K812
Beyerdynamic DT 990

I don't know whether I prefer any over the others. Basically it comes down to price – I paid 3-4 times the price for the first two over the DT 990, hence I don't dare to like the DT 990 as much. But they're also one leap to another direction in sound. I will probably sell either the K812 or the HE560 but I have to decide which one to stick with. But it might be that I will only be able to sell both after getting a totally new set of cans...

Very interesting observation I think....That confirm my experience with mine, for me the AKG K 340 modded and first in a treated audio grid,second in a cleaned electrical grid, is so good that I cannot even compare them to my others headphones(stax or hifiman)... Sometimes it is not the headphone the problem,sometimes it is the synergy, but principally the audio system grid is the unknown element that cause problem, and least but not last the electrical grid that is the more unobserved element that plague all audio system... The more high level is an headphone the more it is sensible to the audio grid system and to the electrical grid of the house where the audio system is embedded... This is the reason why I treat any review anecdotically and seriously no more...No one treat or clean their system, I dont even speak about the right synergy between elements that is the smaller of these 3 problems any audiophile must solve...

Jan 21, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #6,117 of 8,134
Very interesting observation I think....That confirm my experience with mine, for me the AKG K 340 modded and first in a treated audio grid,second in a cleaned electrical grid, is so good that I cannot even compare them to my others headphones(stax or hifiman)... Sometimes it is not the headphone the problem,sometimes it is the synergy, but principally the audio system grid is the unknown element that cause problem, and least but not last the electrical grid that is the more unobserved element that plague all audio system... The more high level is an headphone the more it is sensible to the audio grid system and to the electrical grid of the house where the audio system is embedded... This is the reason why I treat any review anecdotically and seriously no more...No one treat or clean their system, I dont even speak about the right synergy between elements that is the smaller of these 3 problems any audiophile must solve...
Ok Richard,
I read your thread about using pebbles on the electrical grid. You took some flack on your thoughts but you've stayed true to your beliefs. I still don't understand how wrapping pebbles/crystals up in some type of mesh bag and lay them on the electrical runs outside of your home is magically going to clean up my static/distortion issues. Is there something in the certain type of rocks or pebbles that you use that has some bearing on the current running to your house? :)
I'm having such a ground loop issue now that I just can't figure out, that hell, I'm ready to sprinkle fairy dust on or drink some unicorn milk, spit it on my PC and gear to clean this up. I'd appreciate it if you'd enlighten everyone in cliff notes style for everyone who hasn't read your take on your above statement.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #6,118 of 8,134
Here's mines:
1- Creative Aurvana Live! 2
2- Apple Earpods (from my SE)
3- Superlux HD660
4- TFZ Series 1 (i love the hard hitting bass, but it has almost no imaging)

Jan 21, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #6,119 of 8,134
Hifiman HE500 - My Favor. Hifiman always makes good sounding headphones.
Hifiman HE400 - Excellent headphone better than the 400i, detail is not at the he500, t1 level. Great Bass. very capable headphone. better than the hd650, 600.
Hifiman HE4XX - Bass is lacking for me here.
-of the 3, I like the he500 best, but the other two are not far apart, not at all.

Fostex TH900 - I understand why so may prefer the THX00, more sound stage and detail than the X00, brighter.
Fostex THX00 - more meat in the mids, less sound stage.
Denon D7000 - I can't tell the difference between the D7k and the THX00. maybe thx00 has more mids.
-of the 3, I like the THX00 best for music, TH900 for gaming.

Beyerdynamic T1 - excellent all rounder like the he500.
Audio Technica AD2000X
Philips X2, L2, SHP9500 - L2 best of the 3, better bass and detail.

Sennheiser HD800 - lack bass
HD6XX - its ok.
HD600 - its ok.

V-Moda M100 - Bass is great, very fun headphone.
Bose QC25 - sound quality is trash but NC is great, I know what I'm going to get when I put it on.

RHA T20i . - Worthy of upgrade to the 750. reference filter is my fav on the T20.
RHA T750i. - great value for the money. good bass and detail.
Noble X - overly hyped.
Logitech UE900 - overall pleasing sound signature. Don't disappoint in any area and not the best in any either.

Owned - Audio Technica m50X, M40X, Sennheiser HD598, Sony mdr v6, Samson SR850. - M40X is better than M50X. Sennheiser HD598/good for entry level gaming and movies, Sony mdr v6 great vocals didn't disappoint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back