May 19, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #5,042 of 8,134

Sold a number of headphones in prep for a "flagship summer" -

HE-6 by far my best
LA7000
MD5000
LA2000
Ultrasone Performance 840
M Audio Q40

This after having 11 on hand as recently as a week ago.................

Yet another adjustment -

HE-6
HE-400 - yes, fed from speaker taps like my HE-6 with the exact same mods (open grill, Vegan pads, Lohb's suspension headband mod) they are very close to the HE-6
LA-7000
MD-5000
MD-2000
Phillips X1
Ultrasone Performance 840 - with the Cayin S5 driving, it's the best portable basshead combo I've tried yet
M Audio Q40

May 19, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #5,044 of 8,134
ooh, ok. so:

1. Beyerdynamic DT-880 (i've had these for like a day but they are so much more comfortable and sound better than anything else i've had)
2. Grado SR80i (really good sound, but they are really poorly built..)
3. ATH-M50 (sound degraded really fast for some reason...)
4. Sony MDR-7506 (i hated these. idk why, since everyone else loved them, but they were so tinny and crap sounding to me)

also earbuds, for the heck of it:

1. AKG Q350 (really good sounding for earbuds. nice, heavy bass, and great sound isolation. exactly what i want while on the bus and stuff.)
2. new apple earbuds (sound pretty OK, actually. not terrible.)
3. old apple earbuds (kill me please. god they are so bad)

May 20, 2015 at 5:40 AM Post #5,045 of 8,134
1.  Sennheiser HD 800, Electrostat 1, Electrostat 2
2.  AKG K 701
3.  Sennheiser HD 650
4.  Sennheiser HD 600
5.  Sennheiser HD 595
6.  Sennheiser HD 238

Some of my IEMs would rough up the list, but since this thread is about headphones...

May 20, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #5,046 of 8,134
My dual driver IEM rankings

1.TTPOD T1. Good balance. Prefer it for jazz because of its soundstage but it's my first choice as an all rounder for use with my iBasso DX50.

2. Narmoo S1. Bass is perfect though treble can be a bit much with some genres.

3. CoreCool V2. I like the build and detachable cables but the bass is bloated and treble is rolled off too much. Doesn't sound right with tips that decrease bass. It does sound better with the Fiio X1 than the DX50 though.

4. Brainwavz R3. Very wide soundstage but lacks the bass that the TTPOD T1 has.

Another dual driver IEM arrived soooo....

1. TTPOD T1
2. Narmoo S1
3. GranVela VJJB V1. Vertical drivers like the T1,which I like because of the fit and comfort. Look and build is good. Sounds similar to the CoreCool V2 but with bass that is not as bloated. Good value for $26.
4. CoolCore V2
5. Brainwavz R3

May 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #5,047 of 8,134
1.) denon ah-d2000 (20hz bass extension + acceptable SQ)
2.) sennheiser hd650 (better comfort, better SQ than the denons, but bass below ~45hz falls out of the mix)
3.) phillips fidelio x1 (sold)
4.) V-MODA "god of dirt cheap bass IEMs" BASS FREQ (20hz for $20 sonnnnnnnnn) (broke pair, lost a pair... RIP never forget)
5.)bose quietcomfort 20i (noise canceling in ears- extremely comfortable for an in-ear, "good-enough SQ", a bit overpriced)

May 23, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #5,049 of 8,134
High def listening:  (DSD, FLAC, DXD, Other lossless)
  • Sennheiser HD-650  (These are my "slow, lose yourself in excellently-recorded music" headphones  Classical, most Jazz, World music, Orchestral, etc... nothing comes close other than the RS-180s, which are a fairly-distant second.  Thus they dominate this category, but don't really have a spot in the other categories.)
  • AKG K550 (Higher definition than the HD-650s, and more evenly-balanced.  While great soundstage for closed backs, the HD-650s win in terms of 2D/3D space, instrument separation, and "fullness" of sound.)
  • AKG K545  (Very similar to the K550s, but smaller, better defined bass, but NOT bass-heavy.)
  • Koss Porta-Pros (Best bang-for-the-buck all-rounders.  No weaknesses in any genre, and my iPhone compatible version allows remote control, and ability to take phone calls if needed.)
  • JVC HA-SZ2000  (The ONLY fault I have with these phones is their "stock" sound.  The stock earpads are HORRIBLE.  Immediately swap them for Brainwavz HM5 pads for uber-comfort, or JVC M55x pads for good comfort, but uber-bass kinetic transfer.  Unamped, these are decent high-resolving headphones, but mids are recessed needing fairly heavy EQ to make natural.  Amped, the same applies but now these take on  whole new life as BASSHEAD Kings.  While many have challenged, none have shown proof of superior cans by anyone at ANY price either here at Head-Fi or Youtube WHEN THESE ARE PROPERLY AMPED by an iDSD Micro, FIIO e12, or Cayin C5 (current "king" of portable amps for bassheads.)  These take audio settings that make even JVC HA-M55x phones crackle and buzz.  I venture that most of my other phones would suffer either immediate or long-term damage if I tried them at these settings!)
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Wired) (Near and dear to my heart as my first-ever GOOD pair of bluetooth headphones, and for less than $50, they aren't traumatic to lose or replace like BOSE or BEATS would be.
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS  (Discontinued, but you can still find them around.  Hands-down the most durable iems I have ever owned, and they just sound "fun" though not at all "accurate", othwise they would be much higher rated!
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Bluetooth) Powered mode brings even more low-end which is great for house/club/Techno/etc.., but slightly reduces clarity for critical listening while eeking-out a more "Full" sound and slightly wider soundstage.

"FUN" listening:  (MP3, miscellaneous)
  • Koss Porta-Pros
  • AKG K545
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Bluetooth)
  • AKG K550
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Wired)

BASSHEAD: (Any worthy track in any format)
  • JVC HA-SZ2000  (Nothing I've heard touches it when amped!)
  • JVC HA-M55x (2nd best amped, 1st place straight from iPhone/iPad/MP3 players with "standard consumer-grade amplification")
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Amped or not, Wired or bluetooth.  Would rate higher but while LOT of bass, it errs a bit on the loose & sloppy side compared to the top JVCs above.  Before owning them, I happily called these my favorite basshead headphones, so not bad at all, and for less than $50 for GOOD bluetooth headphones is nothing to sneer at.)
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS (My favorite in-ears hands down for ANY application.)
  • Koss Porta-Pros (Get honorable mention because while they CAN "thump" surprisingly well, I use them while mobile, and they don't isolate well like the AKGs do, so I seldom get to BASSHEAD levels with them out of courtesy to others.)

TRAVEL:
  • AKG K545 (Best balance of portability, Sound isolation internal and external, iPhone audio/call functionailty, REFERENCE-CLASS sound quality, and equally capable in all genres EXCEPT BASSHEAD.)
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS (Simple, small, good sound, tons of "fun factor".)
  • Koss Porta-Pros (Great sound, inexpensive if lost/broken, easy to fit in even the smallest laptop bag.)
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Bluetooth sound great, good sound quality over-all, but bass is a bit bloated and obscures the mids.  For the most part, it's correctable, but as I generally use them as portable BASSHEAD cans, I never bother  to EQ for that shortcoming anymore.)
While the HA-SZ2000, K550, &HA-M55x would all sound great for travel, they are all RIDICULOUSLY LARGE for wearing in public.  Maybe it wouldn't bother others, but I never cared much for the "Princess Leia look" on guys personally....

EDIT

I almost forgot movie viewing!  Sennheiser RS-180s are my favorites hands-down.  They aren't bad for music either, but the HD-650s just out-do them in every area, so I seldom do use the RS-180s for anything other than movies/TV.  Fair warning though, they are open back so others in the room can hear what you are watching.

May 23, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #5,050 of 8,134
  High def listening:  (DSD, FLAC, DXD, Other lossless)
  • Sennheiser HD-650  (These are my "slow, lose yourself in excellently-recorded music" headphones  Classical, most Jazz, World music, Orchestral, etc... nothing comes close other than the RS-180s, which are a fairly-distant second.  Thus they dominate this category, but don't really have a spot in the other categories.)
  • AKG K550 (Higher definition than the HD-650s, and more evenly-balanced.  While great soundstage for closed backs, the HD-650s win in terms of 2D/3D space, instrument separation, and "fullness" of sound.)
  • AKG K545  (Very similar to the K550s, but smaller, better defined bass, but NOT bass-heavy.)
  • Koss Porta-Pros (Best bang-for-the-buck all-rounders.  No weaknesses in any genre, and my iPhone compatible version allows remote control, and ability to take phone calls if needed.)
  • JVC HA-SZ2000  (The ONLY fault I have with these phones is their "stock" sound.  The stock earpads are HORRIBLE.  Immediately swap them for Brainwavz HM5 pads for uber-comfort, or JVC M55x pads for good comfort, but uber-bass kinetic transfer.  Unamped, these are decent high-resolving headphones, but mids are recessed needing fairly heavy EQ to make natural.  Amped, the same applies but now these take on  whole new life as BASSHEAD Kings.  While many have challenged, none have shown proof of superior cans by anyone at ANY price either here at Head-Fi or Youtube WHEN THESE ARE PROPERLY AMPED by an iDSD Micro, FIIO e12, or Cayin C5 (current "king" of portable amps for bassheads.)  These take audio settings that make even JVC HA-M55x phones crackle and buzz.  I venture that most of my other phones would suffer either immediate or long-term damage if I tried them at these settings!)
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Wired) (Near and dear to my heart as my first-ever GOOD pair of bluetooth headphones, and for less than $50, they aren't traumatic to lose or replace like BOSE or BEATS would be.
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS  (Discontinued, but you can still find them around.  Hands-down the most durable iems I have ever owned, and they just sound "fun" though not at all "accurate", othwise they would be much higher rated!
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Bluetooth) Powered mode brings even more low-end which is great for house/club/Techno/etc.., but slightly reduces clarity for critical listening while eeking-out a more "Full" sound and slightly wider soundstage.

"FUN" listening:  (MP3, miscellaneous)
  • Koss Porta-Pros
  • AKG K545
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Bluetooth)
  • AKG K550
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Wired)

BASSHEAD: (Any worthy track in any format)
  • JVC HA-SZ2000  (Nothing I've heard touches it when amped!)
  • JVC HA-M55x (2nd best amped, 1st place straight from iPhone/iPad/MP3 players with "standard consumer-grade amplification")
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Amped or not, Wired or bluetooth.  Would rate higher but while LOT of bass, it errs a bit on the loose & sloppy side compared to the top JVCs above.  Before owning them, I happily called these my favorite basshead headphones, so not bad at all, and for less than $50 for GOOD bluetooth headphones is nothing to sneer at.)
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS (My favorite in-ears hands down for ANY application.)
  • Koss Porta-Pros (Get honorable mention because while they CAN "thump" surprisingly well, I use them while mobile, and they don't isolate well like the AKGs do, so I seldom get to BASSHEAD levels with them out of courtesy to others.)

TRAVEL:
  • AKG K545 (Best balance of portability, Sound isolation internal and external, iPhone audio/call functionailty, REFERENCE-CLASS sound quality, and equally capable in all genres EXCEPT BASSHEAD.)
  • VMODA BASS-FREQS (Simple, small, good sound, tons of "fun factor".)
  • Koss Porta-Pros (Great sound, inexpensive if lost/broken, easy to fit in even the smallest laptop bag.)
  • Photive PH-BTX6 (Bluetooth sound great, good sound quality over-all, but bass is a bit bloated and obscures the mids.  For the most part, it's correctable, but as I generally use them as portable BASSHEAD cans, I never bother  to EQ for that shortcoming anymore.)
While the HA-SZ2000, K550, &HA-M55x would all sound great for travel, they are all RIDICULOUSLY LARGE for wearing in public.  Maybe it wouldn't bother others, but I never cared much for the "Princess Leia look" on guys personally....

EDIT

I almost forgot movie viewing!  Sennheiser RS-180s are my favorites hands-down.  They aren't bad for music either, but the HD-650s just out-do them in every area, so I seldom do use the RS-180s for anything other than movies/TV.  Fair warning though, they are open back so others in the room can hear what you are watching.

bass freqs! those things were awesome. dirt cheap, stupidly huge, DEEP, clean bass, and great comfort. I wonder if they still make them... i could really use a pair for the gym.

NOPE they're gone forever. RIP bass freq...

May 24, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #5,052 of 8,134
  bass freqs! those things were awesome. dirt cheap, stupidly huge, DEEP, clean bass, and great comfort. I wonder if they still make them... i could really use a pair for the gym.

NOPE they're gone forever. RIP bass freq...

Fear not JDecker!  I've got your back.  :)
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-In-Ear-Headphone-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000FUICLY/ref=pd_bxgy_23_text_y

Not white like mine, but Red ones fit the gym theme nicely!  (Better than orange, anyway.)  $49 bucks is still a steal if they are anywhere near the quality of mine.  (I think mine were only $29 when I bought mine many years ago.) A decade later, and my set still look mostly like new.  (Just a smudge, here and there, but hey, THEY'RE WHITE.  Anything white and used almost daily for years will show a smudge or two.)
Oh, and did I forget to mention that they are LOUD?!?!?  I use them out of my iPhones or iPads without an amp, and they never sound too soft, OR flat as many  headphones can sound straight out of iPhones/iPads.  They don't thump as hard as they are capable of, but they don't sound as bass-anemic as the iPhones can sound normally, and that to me is a good thing.

May 31, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #5,053 of 8,134
1.Hifiman HE500
2.Grado SR125i
3.Hifiman HE300. I fixed them and got familiar with them again after a year and a half. Bass is lean and they have a veil that makes their use limited low resolution music.

May 31, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #5,054 of 8,134
Temporary ranking while my other schiit is away.

1: Pioneer SE-500: By far the best thing I have right now. Absurd clarity and soundstage depth, extremely good detail retrieval. Just too shallow down low and not comfortable enough to wear constantly.

2: Sony MDR-605 (mods): Baby MDR-F1. Very realistic soundstage, clean and clear, but can't be played loudly without causing awful grating upper mids.

3: Sansui SS-35 (Extreme modifications): New 50mm silk/wool composite drivers. Big pleather earpads from a Sony DR-9.  Much nicer than stock. Bass isn't as thick as stock drivers. Treble is much smoother and more detailed.

4: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (mods): Audiophile bass cannon until I finish the new pads for them. The soundstage is too smashed and the bass is too monstrous with these thin earpads.

5: Speakers: Power Woofer OG-5050. Sub + two midrange satellites with piezo horn tweeters. Good FR, crisp treble, but there's a huge veil that goes away when I change to headphones. Not any specific headphone either, just anything but these. Even running off the same DAC they sound lo-fi by comparison to anything above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back