post your grado mods....
Jan 25, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #2,746 of 8,987
holy mother of pearl inlay kopral, nice . I like the design of the cups in general and the moderate size. Any sound impressions? what drivers are inside? Any sound comparisons to stock SR/RS cups? If you can, maybe try and make a set with a wider mouth (where the driver mounts). I've had good results with that either because of the driver liking that extra 'meat' or perhaps because it seals the bowl pads somehow..............

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:04 AM Post #2,747 of 8,987
Quote:
The litz round braid and flat braid should shield equally well. However, the flat braid is much easier and required less wire.  If you are making a longer cord, do not use the round braid as the extra length may degrade sound--though very minimally. I like the round braid because the sleeving will feel nice and full but it looks great even without it.

My cord is about 6 feet braided and took about 30ft of wire. I used 24 gauge copper wire I believe. You can go with a slightly thinner wire with no problem.

I got the mono jacks at RadioShack.

Both braids work. I don't like the round braid just on looks. As far as extra length, it's minimal difference. You should always have enough for 1.5 cables :)

Quote:

Had to look up 24 gauge wire. I currently have  .25mm2 wire laying here..it falls just short of 23 gauge.
a single strand is 30ft? Or all 4 wires combined?

What would you recommend for a 5-wire braid?

Gawd..I'm looking it up, but what a bunch of happy peppy girls on the tutorials for braiding..giddy! :D

I recommend buying silver plated copper teflon wire from ebay, it's cheap, works, and is a great conductor. It's used in consumer electronics usually and not audio cables as you'd think, but it's actually fantastic for DIY cables.

Use this to learn how to quad braid. I dunno about 5.. I wouldn't recommend it, it would be of higher capacitance, and it would weigh more as well as limit your sheathing options if any.

http://www.chimeralabs.com/diy_braid.html

This is the flat braid. It's easy, mistakes are easy to correct with it, and it just feels nicer wrapped around my leg when I'm sitting down. For sleeving, just leave it bare. The teflon around the wire should be thick enough to work. I recommend 26 to 28 awg in that.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #2,748 of 8,987
Don't suppose anyone has some spare grado cups lying around, wood or plastic, PM me please. I have SR60 drivers from igrado, headband I can get, I wanted to make wood cups but have no reference...

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,749 of 8,987
There have been some images deep down in either this thread or one of the two sr60 mid threads that have exact dimensions of cups.

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #2,752 of 8,987
I am wondering if anybody is looking for grado drivers for a DIY project. I want to build a pair of magnums and all I need to finish is the headband and gimbals. 

Here is the idea: You buy a pair of SR60i, SR80i, or Alessandro MS1i. Take the drivers, cable and earpads, and send the headband to me. I can even send you my part for you to buy the headphones. After we are done, we can post our grado mods here!

Please, PM me if you are interested. I would prefer if you have been in the forum for a while, and have positive trader feedbak.

[COLOR=FF4400]7keys
[/COLOR]

Just received the Konaaudio Ka-Roh-116 headband I bought off eBay............Not bad.

@7keys:
 How is that headband working for you? Does it look solid? 

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #2,755 of 8,987
Jan 31, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2,756 of 8,987
Quote:
Don't suppose anyone has some spare grado cups lying around, wood or plastic, PM me please. I have SR60 drivers from igrado, headband I can get, I wanted to make wood cups but have no reference...

I have a pair of SR80i cups sat in my spares drawer,you can have them if you still need some.Don't think i will ever want them again..

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #2,757 of 8,987

Users who are viewing this thread

Back