post your grado mods....
Feb 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2,761 of 8,992
They all do look alarmingly similar. My fear when trawling for drivers is that some hoodlum will pawn a pair of SR60 off on me telling me they are a pair of 325i...

I've tried to see if I could find someone who sells them, unbranded, just as plain, generic drivers, in bulk, but have never really been successful...

Feb 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #2,763 of 8,992
Quote:
 Do you have to mod the Sony headband somehow to fit the Grado cups? I will be using vibro cups, but they should be similar to the stock Grados, I guess.
Good luck with the auction, by the way.

I'm using them on a cup that is a bit smaller than the stock Grado cup . In the Magnum thread they say you can heat it up with a hair dryer but I haven't tried this myself.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #2,764 of 8,992
Quote:

Quote:
 Do you have to mod the Sony headband somehow to fit the Grado cups? I will be using vibro cups, but they should be similar to the stock Grados, I guess.
Good luck with the auction, by the way.

I'm using them on a cup that is a bit smaller than the stock Grado cup . In the Magnum thread they say you can heat it up with a hair dryer but I haven't tried this myself.

Maybe you can do that but it will surely be so tight that you will loose all the vertical cup pivoting range of movement. This will surely be less than optimal for the pad to embrace your ears and make a seal, and could also be uncomfortable if the angle isn't right at all. The only adjustment left to compensate would be to bend the headband, if you're ready to do that. I don't know if the Sony headbands take up bending as well as Grado's do.

The Sony headbands swivel though.

Sony MDR7502 (I think it's the same size as MDR7506 available at Trewaudio) headband's gimbals are 5 cm wide (diameter of the MDR7502 cups) and have 0.3 cm of play to pivot. It means you have 5.3 cm of space total you can use but you loose the ability to pivot if you fill all this space.

Grado gimbals are 5.5 cm wide (it's the diameter of their cups) with 0.4 cm to allow vertical pivoting. You have 5.9 cm total if the pins goes in all the way, and you loose ability to pivot, again.

If you understood all that basically it means that Grado cups are 0.5 cm wider in diameter than the Sony MDR7502 ones (which things I own and just measured), a diameter difference that is reflected in their respective gimbal's sizing.

Feb 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #2,765 of 8,992
hey guys, has anyone tried using no earpads on their Grados? What I did is put something in between the roadblocks and your head(ala AKG1000), so the drivers are suspended. They bearly rest on your ears, with hardly putting any pressure on your ears.

Feb 7, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,766 of 8,992
Quote:
hey guys, has anyone tried using no earpads on their Grados? What I did is put something in between the roadblocks and your head(ala AKG1000), so the drivers are suspended. They bearly rest on your ears, with hardly putting any pressure on your ears.

Doesn't this absolutely kill the bass? (not that Grados have much to start with).

Feb 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #2,768 of 8,992
just wanna chime in here, not so much of a hardware rework here, just more of a simple add on mod using some crafting copper wires, does not change sound,100% reversable and just changes the looks of it. ( i can't mod that well and extensively like you guys here
biggrin.gif
)

side note: please forgive my 'excellent' photography skills haha

Feb 7, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #2,769 of 8,992
I actually do like that idea of no pad k1000 style Grados. Sr60i drivers, all holes punched, driver dampening, and long big wooden chassis. That might help with the bass right? Different kinds of shapes for the chassis could affect sound.

Feb 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #2,770 of 8,992
Quote:
Doesn't this absolutely kill the bass? (not that Grados have much to start with).

Actually no, whatever your Grado drivers can do, it's still there. This was the last thing I did this morning before going to bed, so I'll have to check again to see how it sounds. I guess essentially, this would be more of a comfort mod for people who have comfort issues. As far as I could tell, it still mostly sounded like L-cush pads, air-e-err(duh), but no big changes in sound, if you already are using L-cush pads. If you're using comfies, well this will give you a good idea of what the L-cush pads will sound like. I posted it this in hopes that some of you would try it, and report back your findings or you're own take on this "mod", or even if you think it's stupid and a total waste of time.
size]
size]

Quote:

How about a picture?

I'll try to take a pic tomorrow morning. I wear glasses, so I always have little cleaning clothes to clean my glasses. What I did was rolled them up and put it up against the roadblocks and my head. The drivers, are still up against your ear, but no real pressure is being applied to your ear. I guess this would be more like Koss Porta Pro than an AKG K1000.

Feb 8, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #2,771 of 8,992
Quote:
I actually do like that idea of no pad k1000 style Grados. Sr60i drivers, all holes punched, driver dampening, and long big wooden chassis. That might help with the bass right? Different kinds of shapes for the chassis could affect sound.

The only mods I've done are simple like changing pads, sticking some puddy behind the driver, or more recently, transplant the drivers to a wooden chamber. out of these "mods" the most noticeable one would be changing ear pads. I did try doing some bass mod to a Sennheiser HD448 a year ago, and while it did give it more bass presence, in the end it really wasn't all that great sonically.

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2,772 of 8,992
Has anyone mad different driver housing than the typical cylinder? Maybe rectangular or ovular housing could make it sound like a different beast

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2,773 of 8,992
I might try making some stuff in sketchup this weekend.
Sorry for double post.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2,774 of 8,992
Quote:
just wanna chime in here, not so much of a hardware rework here, just more of a simple add on mod using some crafting copper wires, does not change sound,100% reversable and just changes the looks of it. ( i can't mod that well and extensively like you guys here
biggrin.gif
)

side note: please forgive my 'excellent' photography skills haha

Nice!

Feb 10, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2,775 of 8,992
OK, I just did a search on the entire site, but didn't get a hit. I can't believe I'm the only person who has tried to trim down a pair of G Cush pads for RS1is?  I took about of a 1/4" off the dense foam at the inner edge to bring the drivers closer in.  Sound is close to the C Cush with much more comfort and better sound stage.  Am I the only idiot to risk messing up $45 set of pads? RS1s now sound & feel a lot more like my T1s.  Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back