post your grado mods....
Feb 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2,776 of 8,992
Quote:
OK, I just did a search on the entire site, but didn't get a hit. I can't believe I'm the only person who has tried to trim down a pair of G Cush pads for RS1is?  I took about of a 1/4" off the dense foam at the inner edge to bring the drivers closer in.  Sound is close to the C Cush with much more comfort and better sound stage.  Am I the only idiot to risk messing up $45 set of pads? RS1s now sound & feel a lot more like my T1s.  Anyone?

Well, yes. But I'm glad you did! :D

I never got myself to purchase those 45$ pads because I don't own the headphones they were designed for, because contrary to the appearances I'm a cheapskate and wimp.

What C-Cush, comfies?

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #2,777 of 8,992

Just got an email with the "prototype" a family member is making for me, oh they look fantastic. Now, to buy some magnums or not...

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #2,778 of 8,992
Those look gorgeous...made for partial or fully liberated drivers?

Feb 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2,779 of 8,992
well, non liberated for now, but I'm trying to see if he will make me the cup rings so I can get rid of the plastic. He has access to a CNC machine too, so maybe I can get him to make me new gimbals out of aluminum. Just trying one step at a time, not trying to ask to much at once.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #2,780 of 8,992
Quote:
holy mother of pearl inlay kopral, nice . I like the design of the cups in general and the moderate size. Any sound impressions? what drivers are inside? Any sound comparisons to stock SR/RS cups? If you can, maybe try and make a set with a wider mouth (where the driver mounts). I've had good results with that either because of the driver liking that extra 'meat' or perhaps because it seals the bowl pads somehow..............

I'm sory, I was not able to give sound impresion . maybe some of my friends who've tried on his grado can give several sound impressions.
several Grado series ever attempted to use this cup is the SR60i, SR80i.
And thanks for suggestions, maybe I will try. and I like the design of your cup. 
Sory , my english is not so good :D

I made a new cup maple wood and driver sr60i therein, this cup of my friends order.

and for next time i made other cup form ther wood and maybe i try you'r suggestion. and this wood which I will use later

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #2,784 of 8,992
Quote:

Well, yes. But I'm glad you did! :D

I never got myself to purchase those 45$ pads because I don't own the headphones they were designed for, because contrary to the appearances I'm a cheapskate and wimp.

What C-Cush, comfies?

Don't feel bad about experimenting with the g-cush pads. I bought a pair for my 225is. I did the tape mod and glued a pair of spare comfies inside the cups to add an extra level of comfort. This helped tame some of the excessive highs when using the g cush while being able to preserve the soundstage. I also glued a piece of foam from the grado "pizza box" to add some comfort for my head. Besides, if folks here don't mind modding $200-$300 pair of headphones to get better sound, modding some $45 foam pads isn't going to kill me.

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #2,786 of 8,992
Good grief I want woodies...

Feb 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM Post #2,788 of 8,992
Quote:
Don't feel bad about experimenting with the g-cush pads. I bought a pair for my 225is. I did the tape mod and glued a pair of spare comfies inside the cups to add an extra level of comfort. This helped tame some of the excessive highs when using the g cush while being able to preserve the soundstage. I also glued a piece of foam from the grado "pizza box" to add some comfort for my head. Besides, if folks here don't mind modding $200-$300 pair of headphones to get better sound, modding some $45 foam pads isn't going to kill me.

i'ts look very nice. i'll should try this mod
Quote:
I just got another piece of black cherry to play with.

nice. very nice..
Quote:
Good grief I want woodies...

go to the nearest tree, grab a chainsaw, cutting with Full of excitement. and make the Cups with passion. 

Joke 
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #2,789 of 8,992
Joke? oops.....
wink.gif

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,790 of 8,992
Here are some picture of my much loved modified Grados.

Grado Magnum V4 (thank you Biscuitz) Modified
-Garcia Memorial limited edition wooden cups (thank you thelostMIDrange aka “Sensei 先生")
-Black mesh custom screens (thank you Chris Langley)
-Turbulent Labs Teflon cable (thank you Biscuitz and Jin)
-L-Cush

-Installing this weekend - Fabricated and modified Grado headband with Turbulent Labs Manta leather (thank you Jin)

Grado Magnum V5 (thank you Jin) Modified
-Garcia Memorial limited edition wooden cups (thank you thelostMIDrange aka “Sensei 先生")

-Re-wiring currently Silver String black nylon sheathed Artemis cable (thank you Thanh)
-L-Cush pads

-Working on fabrication - Fabricated and modified Grado stock utilitarian headband (thank myself :)

Grado Alessandro MS1 Modified

-Re-wiring currently Silver String checker sheathed Artemis cable (thank you Thanh)
-L-Cush pads
-Custom headband (thank you thelostMIDrange aka “Sensei 先生")

FYI. Cups are made by thelostMIDrange. These are his Garcia Memorial cups made of Paduak, Maple and Movingui wood, which is densier than Limba according to the Sensei 先生. The end result is 3 pair of beautiful sweet ass sounding cans.

How did that bong and Cloud vapor pen get in the picture?
wink_face.gif

Will respost once the rewires are complete and the other headband is finished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back