post your grado mods....
Jan 5, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #2,716 of 8,992
how would you know the difference of drivers being wrapped in foam vs direct mount? meaning, if the driver opening is wide enough to accomodate foam, how could it also be small enough to be a tight fit without it? and therefore how could an a/b listen be performed....am i missing something...

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #2,717 of 8,992
Quote:
Contact Jin. He's extremely friendly and helpful. And the padding should face down, onto your head.

So I took your advice & contacted Jin. He was very helpful, entertained all of my concerns, photos etc. until I asked for a replacement... He told me "the headband was fine & all of his headbands are the same"

Perhaps for another thread/review but this headband is so crooked and so badly stiched ... I sincerely hope they are not all the same. Anyhoo, for the cost, shipping time and the fact that same vendor deals in high priced drivers and cables I would be very nervous about future purchases but no doubt there are better headbands out there

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #2,718 of 8,992
Sorry, should have been more specific...the changes were compared to stock 225i, not a direct mount, woody cup.

The foam wrap with a woody cup provided these "improvements" (subjective notion, so not sure if I can strictly call them improvements) over a stock 225i.

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #2,719 of 8,992
Quote:
Quote:
Contact Jin. He's extremely friendly and helpful. And the padding should face down, onto your head.

So I took your advice & contacted Jin. He was very helpful, entertained all of my concerns, photos etc. until I asked for a replacement... He told me "the headband was fine & all of his headbands are the same"

Perhaps for another thread/review but this headband is so crooked and so badly stiched ... I sincerely hope they are not all the same. Anyhoo, for the cost, shipping time and the fact that same vendor deals in high priced drivers and cables I would be very nervous about future purchases but no doubt there are better headbands out there

Demand a replacement then, man.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,723 of 8,992
7keys, I am on the OC Forums! I go by Celeron_Phreak, over there.

For the smaller outside diameter I used a 2 1/2" hole saw, and for the the larger outside diameter I used a 2 5/8" hole saw. For the inside diameter, I used a 2 1/8" forstner bit, and for the outer screened hole I used a 1 5/8" forstner bit. Then I cut the "formed" cup off the "base" of the wood, slightly shallower than the depth of the outer screened hole and sanded them to prep for finish.

No where near perfect, but they are decent enough to wear. :) One of the cups are slightly off center, the wood burned some from the hole saws, and I didn't install them with the grain the the same direction, but, they sound great! :)

I deffinitly prefer the wood lathe process as I used with my SR-80i cups using Padauk wood, and I think I'm going to get a lathe from Harbor Freight when taxes come back. It's easier to get things precise and uniform, so long as the tools remain sharp!

I took them into work today and everyone was drooling over them. They haven't seen my SR-80i yet. :)

Here they are finished and on the SR-60:

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #2,724 of 8,992
Quote:
7keys, I am on the OC Forums! I go by Celeron_Phreak, over there.

For the smaller outside diameter I used a 2 1/2" hole saw, and for the the larger outside diameter I used a 2 5/8" hole saw. For the inside diameter, I used a 2 1/8" forstner bit, and for the outer screened hole I used a 1 5/8" forstner bit. Then I cut the "formed" cup off the "base" of the wood, slightly shallower than the depth of the outer screened hole and sanded them to prep for finish.

No where near perfect, but they are decent enough to wear. :) One of the cups are slightly off center, the wood burned some from the hole saws, and I didn't install them with the grain the the same direction, but, they sound great! :)

I deffinitly prefer the wood lathe process as I used with my SR-80i cups using Padauk wood, and I think I'm going to get a lathe from Harbor Freight when taxes come back. It's easier to get things precise and uniform, so long as the tools remain sharp!

I took them into work today and everyone was drooling over them. They haven't seen my SR-80i yet. :)

Here they are finished and on the SR-60:

What kind of driver fit are you getting with the 2 1/8" forstner bit?

Jan 10, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #2,730 of 8,992
Hey guys,

I have a pair of modded SR-80's:
  • pleather pads over L-Cush foam pads
  • Custom Black mesh
  • 4 holes punctured in felt for better base
  • removed old cable
  • added mono jacks to bottom
  • Litz round braid removable cord
  • A bit of green paint for a custom look
  • Felt behind driver and around cup to control treble

20130109img1478.jpg