post your grado mods....
Sep 9, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #8,416 of 8,992
Hello Grado modders. New kid on the block here. After mgh24 sent me his R1 build to audition, and I was totally blown away by the quality and quantity of sound that they pumped out, I have become enthralled with what these mods have to offer. Also DavidA, wooden records and especially fleasbaby have added to my interest and education of what these builds have to offer.

Fleasbaby was gracious and is doing a Rhoord build for me and mgh24 is doing an R1 build for me in fleasbaby purple heart cups. After I see how the pros do it I intend to do a couple of builds for friends and family.

Anyway, here is a picture of the cocobolo cup master pieces that fleasbaby has crafted for his Rhoord build for me. He rocks!!

THEY ARE JUST STUNNING!:clap::clap::clap:

Simply, beautiful....

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #8,417 of 8,992
Hello Grado modders. New kid on the block here. After mgh24 sent me his R1 build to audition, and I was totally blown away by the quality and quantity of sound that they pumped out, I have become enthralled with what these mods have to offer. Also DavidA, wooden records and especially fleasbaby have added to my interest and education of what these builds have to offer.

Fleasbaby was gracious and is doing a Rhoord build for me and mgh24 is doing an R1 build for me in fleasbaby purple heart cups. After I see how the pros do it I intend to do a couple of builds for friends and family.

Anyway, here is a picture of the cocobolo cup master pieces that fleasbaby has crafted for his Rhoord build for me. He rocks!!

Thanks man :)

Posted a bunch of other cuops on my site, eBay and Etsy as well:

IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1016.JPG
IMG_1015.JPG

just saw this one posted recently

Interesting...is that Cocobolo? I wonder...

Sep 10, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #8,420 of 8,992
Its Cocobolo according to the poster on the Grado Fan thread

Thanks David...just had a look. Interesting choices on Grado's part...modders have always steered away from Pine. I always thought it would be too soft, and not so great for turning, but maybe I was wrong. Might be worth picking some up and trying it out.

The GH3 cup design, by the way looks remarkably familiar. A while ago a prototype, that never became a production model, surfaced for sale on eBay (I think). It was a Mahogany version of this shape. Apparently John Grado wasn't too impressed it was up for sale. He had autographed it for the recipient as well. I don't recall a model number for the prototype, but basically it was the non-i/e version of the SR series cup, made as a one-piece wooden cup. Its funny, given our discussion on cup length a few days ago...

@devouringone3 @Konstantin690

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #8,421 of 8,992
Thanks David...just had a look. Interesting choices on Grado's part...modders have always steered away from Pine. I always thought it would be too soft, and not so great for turning, but maybe I was wrong. Might be worth picking some up and trying it out.

The GH3 cup design, by the way looks remarkably familiar. A while ago a prototype, that never became a production model, surfaced for sale on eBay (I think). It was a Mahogany version of this shape. Apparently John Grado wasn't too impressed it was up for sale. He had autographed it for the recipient as well. I don't recall a model number for the prototype, but basically it was the non-i/e version of the SR series cup, made as a one-piece wooden cup. Its funny, given our discussion on cup length a few days ago...

@devouringone3 @Konstantin690
I remember that too. It might of been an Rs3 (I think)

Sep 10, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #8,425 of 8,992
Huh?
Never seen that one before, it may sound very good with a pair of L-Cushions on them.
Future project, "TICK"....

So a while back I tried this and it was nice. It was a while ago though. I can’t even remember what drivers I used. I’d recommend trying it if you can source the cups.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #8,426 of 8,992
So a while back I tried this and it was nice. It was a while ago though. I can’t even remember what drivers I used. I’d recommend trying it if you can source the cups.
Thanks man :)

Posted a bunch of other cuops on my site, eBay and Etsy as well:

Interesting...is that Cocobolo? I wonder...
I remember that too. It might of been an Rs3 (I think)

I wonder, shall we replicate these? :wink:
Is it worth it? How does it sound? Considering that they are much smaller.
Some time ago I was trying to make this form, I even did, but....I decided to leave this idea. So I never finished them, and I never heard how it sounds.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #8,427 of 8,992
Some time ago I was trying to make this form, I even did, but....I decided to leave this idea. So I never finished them, and I never heard how it sounds.

If you get the chance, try. From what I recall the form factor was nice....it was compact and light. I forget what drivers I used, but I liked the way they sounded too.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #8,428 of 8,992
I agree with @fleasbaby. Aesthetically they are nice and low profile which I think some people will like, as far as the sound goes my guess is that you'll hear more of the driver and not much of the cup, which is probably not a bad thing just a tiny bit different.

Sep 14, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #8,430 of 8,992
I agree with @fleasbaby. Aesthetically they are nice and low profile which I think some people will like, as far as the sound goes my guess is that you'll hear more of the driver and not much of the cup, which is probably not a bad thing just a tiny bit different.
That makes me wonder. Hell, I can’t pass through it =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back