post your grado mods....
Aug 26, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #8,402 of 8,992
Is that a balanced cable mode, if so what do they sound like compared to standard
It’s actually a detachable cable mod. I installed a pair of 3.5mm jacks on the earcups. And the cable on the picture was Kimber’s Sony Z7 balanced cable. The amp was Sony pha3.
With this cable sr80 had wider soundstage, cleaner background and less harshness/sibilance than using the stock cable.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #8,405 of 8,992

Grado drivers with a twist

What have we here?!? Nhoord drivers in what donors? Looks like some Beyers?

Have you seen Larry at Headphile's "Vixen"? Similar concept....how does it sound?

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #8,406 of 8,992
Good spot, they were Darthbeyers v4 that I found cheap in a garage sale in a red Mahogany finish, I say finish but they were in not great condition ie. Scratched.
Enjoyed the sound / bass for about 2days then decided to play with them.
Signature wise I would put them very close to a pair of old grado GS1000 I had year's ago.

Aug 30, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #8,409 of 8,992
Now there's an ask.
Take it grado labs weren't abliging haha.
Think you're probably got more chance a obtaining the technical drawing for a SR71 blackbird from the US airforce.
Good luck with your search.

I wouldn't call an aluminum cup aeronautics top secret science, there's nothing special about them, I just like the vintage looks.
I already have a rough mechanical drawing but it would be nice to have the exact dimensions.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #8,410 of 8,992
Sounds like a great project
It'll be difficult to find the exact dimensions in such a rare headphone. I'm sure someone has to have a pair on headfi.
Their kind of the Holy grail of grado headphones, I for one would like to see the results if you manage to succeed,
Which drivers would you use.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #8,411 of 8,992
Hey all,
Anyone has a mechanical drawing/dimensions of the Joseph Grado vintage HP1000 aluminum cups?
Kinda fiddling with the idea of building clones of them.

You might try one of the guys in the Grado Fan Club. I know @ruthieandjohn was very kind and generous with his time when I asked for some measurements before...

Sep 1, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #8,412 of 8,992
I have a set of hp2 and can take measurements but do not have the tools to do so. Anyone can give me instructions and I would be more than happy to do so.

That said, I have tried many iterations of grado and grado like headphones (check my profile) and outside of the hp2, the best combination is wood sleeves with metal cups as it just provides the hst combination of warmth and detail. I have yet to try metal sleeves with wood cups yet.

Even then, the hp2 has to be driven by the right amp to shine the brightest. I’m using the mytek DSD 192 right now and it’s not really phenomenal. It was unbelievable drive by a custom balanced dynalo though, just that the cost is just too high and it’s tough to find anyone willing to build a dynalo anymore.

Sep 9, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #8,413 of 8,992
Hello Grado modders. New kid on the block here. After mgh24 sent me his R1 build to audition, and I was totally blown away by the quality and quantity of sound that they pumped out, I have become enthralled with what these mods have to offer. Also DavidA, wooden records and especially fleasbaby have added to my interest and education of what these builds have to offer.

Fleasbaby was gracious and is doing a Nhoord build for me and mgh24 is doing an R1 build for me in fleasbaby purple heart cups. After I see how the pros do it I intend to do a couple of builds for friends and family.

Anyway, here is a picture of the cocobolo cup master pieces that fleasbaby has crafted for his Nhoord build for me. He rocks!!

5332CFBA-ACCD-428C-8A72-82BA2DA86014.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back