post your grado mods....
Sep 17, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #8,431 of 8,987
I posted on the Grado Lovers thread about Beautiful Audio cushions and here is a follow up in the Grado mods section where it probably belongs.

Disclaimer: I am new to Grado Mods and I am not even close to a pro reviewer. But...I know what sounds good to me.

That said, these observations are coming from a rather new V8 build with low hours on it. Cushions that I used for 1 hour each before I went to the Beautiful Audios were L cush and Ear Zonk versions of the G cush. I use a Jolida FOZ SS-X sound stage expander to adjust EQ. ( More to follow from mgh24 on the FOZ)

To my ear the Beautiful Audio Merinos really increased the bass. The mids and highs were still there but not as in your face. They are a fun listen and are extremely comfortable. My ears are a little large and the BA s covered my entire ear. With the FOZ tuned to max treble, I was able to hear every drum stick strike on the cymbals and vocals were clear and distinct.

With the V8 drivers these things rock. They might even push my LCD3s to the FS section. They are that good. Here they are.

IMG_1117.jpg

Yes wormsdriver, they are pricey. But IMO they are worth it. I will be trying to set up an unofficial tour for a pair of these so more people can try them before they step up to the $115 cost. Stay tuned to this channel for details.

Sep 17, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #8,435 of 8,987
@Geezer Rock 001, anyway I can get on the tour?
I think there were a few in the main Grado thread that had tried pads similar to the BA pads and really didn't like them but I'm not sure which model they tried but I don't remember anyone noting the cost of $115 which is quite high, but like @wormsdriver noted if they last a long time, are very comfortable and sound good/better than G-pads then its something I'll consider.

Sep 18, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #8,436 of 8,987
DavidA, roger that. You would be #4. Yesterday I tried the less dense foam inserts. They corrected the need for treble eq and the bass was better too. To my ears they are a step up in comfort and sound from the E Z g cush.

With a less than 10 hours on the V8 s, they are the real deal. Rich full sound with excellent bass and detail. A+ imo.

Sep 21, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #8,437 of 8,987
I would like to share my modding experience with Alessandro MS-1i (with classical cups). I think the mod led to excellent sonic results, so I could recommend it.

My basic idea was to preserve the original look, using some of the 'engineering' ideas from the top of the range Grado headphones. The modding process explained step by step (excluding the opening/closing of the cups) is as follows:

1. Pierced 3 holes on felt ring of the driver. I used thick rollerball pen as a tool.

2. Carefully removed the cut scraps with tweezers, because the straps can slip down within drivers, which is not good.

3. Added additional round Neodimum magnets N52 (the strongest grade) on the back of the driver caps, south pole upwards. I experimented with several sizes and the final verdict was based on the sound quality. I tried 8*2, 10*1, 10*2, 10*3, 12*1, 14*8, 15*1 (diameter * thickness in mm) and the 10*3 worked best. What magnets actually do: they affect the mids and highs and upgraded the resolution, the detail, the sesitivity, and the response speed in that frequency region. An overal improvement, which is far from subtle. With bigger and stronger magnets the mids and highs became too agressive for my taste.

4. Applied a small amout of bitum paste on the magnets and the driver caps. This is an original idea from the top Grado models. The bitum additionaly fixed the magnets in an exact centered position.

5. Used my favourite solder with 2% silver for cable joints. Fixed the cable to the cup with a drop of GE silicone. Assembled the cups, fixing the halves with 3 drops of the same silicone per cup.

6. Upgraded the pads to original Grado L-pads. This is important step in order to ballance the new sound signature of the heaphones, which became too bassy and dark with the original 'comfies'

Voilà! The new MS-1ii (ii = double improved :gs1000smile: )

Sep 21, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #8,438 of 8,987
Greetings from Spain to all!!!

Hello Grado modders. New kid on the block here. After mgh24 sent me his R1 build to audition, and I was totally blown away by the quality and quantity of sound that they pumped out, I have become enthralled with what these mods have to offer. Also DavidA, wooden records and especially fleasbaby have added to my interest and education of what these builds have to offer.

Fleasbaby was gracious and is doing a Nhoord build for me and mgh24 is doing an R1 build for me in fleasbaby purple heart cups. After I see how the pros do it I intend to do a couple of builds for friends and family.

Anyway, here is a picture of the cocobolo cup master pieces that fleasbaby has crafted for his Nhoord build for me. He rocks!!

I "need" a pair of that COCOBOLO beauty!!! GH-1 cut?? I have a pair of RS-2e drivers waiting... :wink:
For now, the drivers in Shipido (not Rholupat, sorry) cups with Rholupat Headband:
IMG_20180720_102402.jpg

Thank´s for sharing.

C.K.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #8,439 of 8,987
I would like to share my modding experience with Alessandro MS-1i (with classical cups). I think the mod led to excellent sonic results, so I could recommend it.

My basic idea was to preserve the original look, using some of the 'engineering' ideas from the top of the range Grado headphones. The modding process explained step by step (excluding the opening/closing of the cups) is as follows:

1. Pierced 3 holes on felt ring of the driver. I used thick rollerball pen as a tool.

2. Carefully removed the cut scraps with tweezers, because the straps can slip down within drivers, which is not good.

3. Added additional round Neodimum magnets N52 (the strongest grade) on the back of the driver caps, south pole upwards. I experimented with several sizes and the final verdict was based on the sound quality. I tried 8*2, 10*1, 10*2, 10*3, 12*1, 14*8, 15*1 (diameter * thickness in mm) and the 10*3 worked best. What magnets actually do: they affect the mids and highs and upgraded the resolution, the detail, the sesitivity, and the response speed in that frequency region. An overal improvement, which is far from subtle. With bigger and stronger magnets the mids and highs became too agressive for my taste.

4. Applied a small amout of bitum paste on the magnets and the driver caps. This is an original idea from the top Grado models. The bitum additionaly fixed the magnets in an exact centered position.

5. Used my favourite solder with 2% silver for cable joints. Fixed the cable to the cup with a drop of GE silicone. Assembled the cups, fixing the halves with 3 drops of the same silicone per cup.

6. Upgraded the pads to original Grado L-pads. This is important step in order to ballance the new sound signature of the heaphones, which became too bassy and dark with the original 'comfies'

Voilà! The new MS-1ii (ii = double improved :gs1000smile: )

Good idea with the magnets! I've never tried that....where did you source them?

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #8,445 of 8,987
Update on the Beautiful Audio cushions. I have used these for a little over 10 hours. I have also switched back into the L cush and the Ear Zonk G cush before I wrote this. My drivers are V8 s. The L's and G's have a very good sound, but imo the Beautiful Audios improve on the sound. The bass line is deeper and you can clearly hear the bass notes and the drum kicks. The highs and mids are not muted and they fit in well. The singer's voices, male or female are clear as a bell and are not over powered by bass or highs.

To me the Beautiful Audio Merinos are extremely comfortable. They measure 3 1/4 inches in diameter and they fit nicely over my rather large ears. I had one session at just over 3 hours and there was no discomfort or heat issues. They are just as open as the L's and G's and you can hear outside world sounds through them.

My last observation is that the Beautiful Audios seem to focus the sound that enters my ears better than the other two. That would mean to direct the sounds in a clear and nicely layered presentation. Here are a few fair to poor pictures. ( My flash has died)
The tour pair is hitting the road on Wednesday. Stay tuned for more impressions.

IMG_1147.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back