post your grado mods....
Nov 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #8,087 of 8,992
I picked up a SR80e recently and wanted to improve the bass impact and warmth a bit, so I went with taped L cushions plus the venting mod (four holes poked for a total of six) and wow! I think four might be one hole too many, the upper bass can overshadow things a bit in some songs but overall I really like it. Impressive what these drivers are capable of!
The most I'd go with the "e" series is 2 additional holes and even then it might be too much to me. I think you might want to try different ear pads like the OEM Grado G-pads with the 4 vent holes opened since the Grado G-pads usually reduce the bass a few dB. Might be why I like the sound with generic G-pads since they add a few dB so I don't need to open more than 1 vent hole. I've also found that instead of opening vent holes which can make the bass muddy dynamat in the cups and on the back of the driver give a boost in the bass while keeping it clean and helps to prevent it from becoming muddy.

@cathee suggestion of dynamat round the vent holes will also help clean up the bass
Nhoord-Scarlet-2.jpg
you can see the dynamat on either side of the open vent holes of this prototype Nhoord driver

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #8,088 of 8,992
Finally had some time to work on my Grado mods this afternoon and guess what happens? The mailman drops off a package from PETEREK :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Immediately I noticed the 2.5mm connectors have the perfect depth for these wood cups I was working on.

12Feyz6l.jpg

GMiPTfCl.jpg

Anyone know where to source the necessary parts to make this a detachable rig?

Nov 16, 2017 at 3:58 AM Post #8,089 of 8,992
Nov 16, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #8,090 of 8,992
@cathee , you could try something like this but you will probably need to enlarge the hole and need to either epoxy or super glue the jacks in place
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-2-5mm...348460&hash=item4b14a24276:g:dHkAAOSwzx9Z01Nk
These are stereo so you will need to figure which contact point are used in the jacks to match your cable

thanks for the pointer.

I was actually thinking if there's a way to just mount the female2.5 on the inside of the cups. The plug pedestal seems just the right depth!

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #8,091 of 8,992
Finally had some time to work on my Grado mods this afternoon and guess what happens? The mailman drops off a package from PETEREK :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Immediately I noticed the 2.5mm connectors have the perfect depth for these wood cups I was working on.

12Feyz6l.jpg

GMiPTfCl.jpg

Anyone know where to source the necessary parts to make this a detachable rig?

I thought peterek stopped doing hp mods? Guess I need to fire off another pm!

Nov 16, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #8,092 of 8,992
PETEREK did note that he was not taking on new projects since he said that he needed to catch up and had a lot of things going on in his life but it looks like he might be starting to take on new projects again.

Nov 16, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #8,093 of 8,992

PETEREK did note that he was not taking on new projects since he said that he needed to catch up and had a lot of things going on in his life but it looks like he might be starting to take on new projects again.

Not sure if my order was a "new project" or not, but I did order from Brandon a couple of months ago..

Nov 17, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #8,094 of 8,992
Just destroyed one of my Nhoord red drivers - de-soldering old cable to replace it! Board came away on the cable! :frowning2: :frowning2: (note to self - pay attention and don’t get distracted while using soldering iron!)

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #8,096 of 8,992
Nov 17, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #8,097 of 8,992
Just destroyed one of my Nhoord red drivers - de-soldering old cable to replace it! Board came away on the cable! :frowning2: :frowning2: (note to self - pay attention and don’t get distracted while using soldering iron!)
Feel for you there and I know the sinking feeling also but with a bit of luck didn't destroy the SR60i driver that I was working on since I was able reattach the very thin leads from the board to the voice coil. Ever since I make it a point to not pull on the wire I want to de-solder and also to use the tip of the soldering iron to help hold the board in place while heating the solder.

@WoodyLuvr , A friend of mine also damaged his SR80i drivers when trying to cut open a vent hole using a craft knife since he let the tip of the craft knife puncture the diaphragm below.

I think there were a few other "horror" tales from others in the Ypsilon thread a while back so hopefully these incidents are very few and far between.

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM Post #8,099 of 8,992
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back