post your grado mods....
Jun 10, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #8,296 of 8,992
@anothertwilight, got some pictures of your creations? I love to look at the creative stuff that others do so I can get ideas on what I want to try next.

Things that I've finished are at https://www.flickr.com/photos/153641312@N02/albums

Works in progress

Playing with ported baffles.

Ported baffles.jpg

DT880 pad adapters

DT880 adapters.jpg

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog cups

Open alpha finish exterior.jpg

Jun 10, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #8,297 of 8,992
Has anyone ever done a Grado mod to keep the cups from being able to spin endlessly? I like very much that they can lay flat, but those poor cables seem to scream for their lives when things get twisted around one too many times...

I dug out the headband that I used with collars and took a photo of the grub screw stopping rotation

collar rotation.jpg

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #8,298 of 8,992
I haven't. I started playing with printing an adapter to mount 100mm pads (such as the velour 880 pads) on SR series cups, similar to Headphile's 'C-Pads'.
Once I had something I was happy with, there, I thought I'd play with extending the adapter into the 'spacer' from the MS1000.

One day.

Most recently I've played with StratoKosster style mods, but failed to get anything that didn't sound like a tin-can-and-string. In trying to add some venting to the rear chamber, I'm playing with a baffle that mounts a circumaural pad and which has vents radially around the driver. Rough prototyping seemed interesting and once I get my printer re-calibrated, this is what I'll be playing with.

The StratoKOSSter is tough. I made a pair for my daughter, and was never quite happy with the sound. She liked them though.

Beyer pad adapters are nice. I've done a couple of pairs of cups made to take those pads, and liked what I heard. And felt. Far easier on the ears than the normal foam pads. The downside was having to bend the headband a little to get a proper seal.

Jul 9, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #8,305 of 8,992
Jul 10, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #8,306 of 8,992
Curious - what kind of wood is that the cups are made of?
Of course it’s Walnut :)
Classical walnut, smooth, and rich aesthetically.
I've got lucky to find this beautiful piece of walnut, with such as coolest shapes and textures.

BTW, I finally received my package from http://rholupat.com and.....it’s awful.

Very poorly made. I’m so disappointed. the worst waste of money in my life :frowning2:

I mean....heck I don’t even understand why there's so much hype?
I’d expected much better quality....
Do people really enjoy them? How? Or is it something with my pair?

For me, it seems that the craft-master didn't even try to do his job well...

And fo "this" they want to charge you 65$+plus shipping? Really?

Maybe I don’t understand something.....or something is wrong with this world.

IMG_0050.jpg
IMG_0054.jpg
IMG_0035.jpg
IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg
IMG_0056.jpg
IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Is it SO bad? maybe not so.... IS IT WORTH 65$? of course it’s NOT. for 25/30 bucks it will be fine. That's my opinion.
Anyway, it was a great experience and the life lesson (don’t trust everything that people say). Now I am confident in the quality of my own cups.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #8,307 of 8,992
Of course it’s Walnut :)
Classical walnut, smooth, and rich aesthetically.
I've got lucky to find this beautiful piece of walnut, with such as coolest shapes and textures.

BTW, I finally received my package from http://rholupat.com and.....it’s awful.

Very poorly made. I’m so disappointed. the worst waste of money in my life :frowning2:

I mean....heck I don’t even understand why there's so much hype?
I’d expected much better quality....
Do people really enjoy them? How? Or is it something with my pair?

For me, it seems that the craft-master didn't even try to do his job well...

And fo "this" they want to charge you 65$+plus shipping? Really?

Maybe I don’t understand something.....or something is wrong with this world.

Is it SO bad? maybe not so.... IS IT WORTH 65$? of course it’s NOT. for 25/30 bucks it will be fine. That's my opinion.
Anyway, it was a great experience and the life lesson (don’t trust everything that people say). Now I am confident in the quality of my own cups.

Inconsistency of product and shipping charges are the main reasons I stopped ordering from rholupat some time ago.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #8,308 of 8,992
Inconsistency of product and shipping charges are the main reasons I stopped ordering from rholupat some time ago.

Agree. It was my first time buying something "crafted" by others(I mean handmade in any way). Now I'd better make it by myself. it’s even not so sad for me now-after realizing that my own cups so much better and worth at least the same price :)
The main thing from all this is: "If you want to have something really good-do it by yourself".

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #8,309 of 8,992
Agree. It was my first time buying something "crafted" by others(I mean handmade in any way). Now I'd better make it by myself. it’s even no so sad for me now-after realizing that my own cups so much better and worth at least the same price :)
The main thing from all this is: "If you want to have something really good-do it by yourself".
I guess I've been lucky and all the cups that I've gotten from Rholuplat have been quite good in fit and finish. For the price I think they are about right since other vendors charge a bit more and the fit and finish is sometimes about the same as Rholuplat but at other times are much better.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #8,310 of 8,992
Hey, I got the RS2e for a while now. I really like the sound it produces. From time to time it's a tad too bright for my taste. So I've checked the mod section here and it's full of nice ideas.

Here I've seen a very simplistic approach to overcome the slight sibilance. Does this work effectively for all Grados with wooden cups? Since the "doggie treats tweaking kit" by MrSpeakers is no longer offered, could somebody give me a hint on the material or an alternative source for it (preferably Europe)?

From further reading I‘ve learned that the „doggie treats tweaking kit“ was sold in a set of four pieces. If someone still has a pair of two left, I‘d be happy to buy it. Please make me an offer (posted to Germany).

EDIT

Can you guys recommend a shop which is able to swap the RS2e stock cable with a custom style balanced cable (2.5 mm termination + hardwired or SCM sockets on the headphone). I'd prefer if it's located in Europe for easier postage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back