post your grado mods....
Jun 5, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #8,281 of 8,992
Do the l-cush change the sound and if so, how? The hole in the l-cush should solve an issue I have with the stock pads. Extended use causes my right ear to hurt. Combo of my alien ears and wearing glasses..... I don't want the Grados to become brighter.
I'd suggest trying some generic G-pads, comfort is the reason I use them but since the build/QC from many of the cheap shops varies so much you might want to get 2-3 from different vendors and see what you like best since at $4-6/pair I think its a small price to pay to find something comfortable.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #8,282 of 8,992
I'd suggest trying some generic G-pads, comfort is the reason I use them but since the build/QC from many of the cheap shops varies so much you might want to get 2-3 from different vendors and see what you like best since at $4-6/pair I think its a small price to pay to find something comfortable.

I will try this also.

I have had my SR80i's since they were released. A few years ago I put them away and just recently started using them again, and remembered that the discomfort for long sessions was why I stopped. I also have an urge to get the SR325e's, but need to test the different cushions to see if I can deal with Graddos. Hopefully I can, as I love the sound.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #8,283 of 8,992
Did a little article on Shipibo Audio, note we do not sell these parts at HiFiHeadphones, we just like to support other companies making great products. It's not a review, just a small product highlight.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/upgrade-grados-shipibo/

DSC_0349.jpg

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #8,284 of 8,992
Did a little article on Shipibo Audio, note we do not sell these parts at HiFiHeadphones, we just like to support other companies making great products. It's not a review, just a small product highlight.

http://www.hifiheadphones.co.uk/reviews/upgrade-grados-shipibo/

Ive dealt with Przem on a few occasions,he’s a really nice guys and does a great job! I would definitely recommend ShipiboAudio to anyone looking for handmade Grado replacement parts.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #8,289 of 8,992
I love the way the black plastic + mahogany wood looks together, very cool!

Those stealth builds are a lot of fun. I enjoy them...

There's an elegent simplicity to the early Grados. Was a leather band original to that model? I have/had similar era MS-1s that didn't ...

Good eye. The band/gimbals are from a pair of PS500s.

I have had two early SR80 that came with a leather headband, but they were REALLY old. One actually had metal grills as well. Both came with a 1/4 inch plug, not the usual 1/8th inch. From what I could tell they were not modified either, I bought them stock.

The pair with metal grills I couldn't bring myself to disassemble, and eventually sold on to a collector. The other pair ended up being a pair of "forever" cans. The drivers and grills were extracted and put in some African Blackwood cups made as a gift for me by the guy who taught me how to turn wood.

Jun 7, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #8,290 of 8,992
The pair with metal grills I couldn't bring myself to disassemble, and eventually sold on to a collector. The other pair ended up being a pair of "forever" cans. The drivers and grills were extracted and put in some African Blackwood cups made as a gift for me by the guy who taught me how to turn wood.

I've modded several of the narrower, early model SR series - mostly MS-1s. The lack of the 'mushroom' of later models means that with the Sony 7506 headband, the cups can rotate 180 degrees within the yoke and fold up, pad-to-pad like the 7506, rather than having the backs of the cups together and the pads crushed against the headband.

Given their age, it's hard not to want to leave them as-is for someone else to appreciate. It's easier when there's damage that the mod replaces or repairs.

Jun 7, 2018 at 7:42 PM Post #8,291 of 8,992
I've modded several of the narrower, early model SR series - mostly MS-1s. The lack of the 'mushroom' of later models means that with the Sony 7506 headband, the cups can rotate 180 degrees within the yoke and fold up, pad-to-pad like the 7506, rather than having the backs of the cups together and the pads crushed against the headband.

Given their age, it's hard not to want to leave them as-is for someone else to appreciate. It's easier when there's damage that the mod replaces or repairs.

Have you had a go at making one of these?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/alessandro-ms1000-and-ms-ultimate-diy-modding-56k-warning.323271/

I've thought about it, just never gotten around to it...

Jun 8, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #8,292 of 8,992
Have you had a go at making one of these?.

I haven't. I started playing with printing an adapter to mount 100mm pads (such as the velour 880 pads) on SR series cups, similar to Headphile's 'C-Pads'.
Once I had something I was happy with, there, I thought I'd play with extending the adapter into the 'spacer' from the MS1000.

One day.

Most recently I've played with StratoKosster style mods, but failed to get anything that didn't sound like a tin-can-and-string. In trying to add some venting to the rear chamber, I'm playing with a baffle that mounts a circumaural pad and which has vents radially around the driver. Rough prototyping seemed interesting and once I get my printer re-calibrated, this is what I'll be playing with.

Jun 8, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #8,293 of 8,992
the l-cush doesnt makes the grados brighter. instead it reduces the mids 2k peak, gives a cleaner bass response and somewhat better imaging also adds a lil bit of sound stage but still relatively narrow. about the comfort tho. its terrible, but after weeks of use Ive my ears manage to adapt to it, but I still have my limit for about 5 hrs of use

Grabbed a set of the L-Cush today from my local Grado dealer. Been testing them, and while I will say the comfort is odd, they don't make my ears hurt and I am able to wear them quite awhile. Sound is pretty much how you described. Very happy with them.

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #8,295 of 8,992
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back