post your grado mods....
Jul 17, 2018 at 5:59 PM Post #8,326 of 8,987
Hi, im pretty new to Grado and would like to do some mods on my SR80e headphones, any help would be appreciated :) so i found these on ebay and was wondering if they would improve the sound? i know aluminium and wood sound different
but i think metal looks cooler. would anyone suggest i get these? thankyou in advance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173412764638?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #8,327 of 8,987
Hi, im pretty new to Grado and would like to do some mods on my SR80e headphones, any help would be appreciated :) so i found these on ebay and was wondering if they would improve the sound? i know aluminium and wood sound different
but i think metal looks cooler. would anyone suggest i get these? thankyou in advance.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173412764638?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

s-l1600.jpg

Looks good. if you like it-why not give them a chance. I don’t think they will improve sound. it is so subjective. better to say-they could change the sound for your ears. (better or worse)
More important question that you should ask yourself-will you like these changes that you’ll hear? I think it’s more about aesthetics and look than sound.

and this price....heck
£130.00 is more than the cost of your brand new Grado SR80 or even SR125.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #8,329 of 8,987

They look lovely (I actually saw these on eBay a couple of days ago and admired them).

I seem to recall a post that listed the order, from most to least impact, of various modifications to a set of headphones. I can't locate it, so from memory and personal experience (YMMV);

For the same set of drivers and same input the largest change is going to be the chamber between driver and ear. Of these, modding or changing the pads offer some of the most dramatic changes by reducing or increasing the volume of air, the distance to the ear and whether the surface(s) of the pad reflect or absorb sound at different frequencies. I would include adding material in front of the driver to absorb or reduce specific frequencies (often done to 'tame treble') and the mods that add spacers to move the driver further from the ear.

Next is modding the cups behind the speaker. Assuming you aren't sealing open or semi-open, nor porting closed headphones then modifying this area includes adding material to absorb sound or damp reflection, adding mass to the driver to try to increase inertia. There are threads that examine the effect of wood sleeves vs aluminium sleeves for Grados, or replacing plastic with either of these. I've seen reports that the surface of the interior of the cup plays an important part - that raw wood has a different sound than that same wood sealed or oiled; that modern, high end Grados (esp. those with metal bodies) have a kind of glue or caulking applied roughly to the surface. There were tests with dowel placed on the back of the driver seems to have no impact on the sound (implying that the cup's impact, at least for Grados, is largely at the interior surface). There have been experiments with attempting to produce wooden bodies that are 'tuned' to resonate. Of all these mods, changing the volume of the cup has more impact than anything else, even for open backed headphones.

For well soldered cables of appropriate gauge (I've run across entire discussions on what constitutes 'appropriate' and frankly lack the knowledge to do more than follow along) and decent connectors, changing cables to higher quality or exotic materials and configurations may make a difference noticeable to some, but not to others. At this point, you start to approach the point of diminishing returns. A well trained ear with decent equipment and source may well benefit from such modifications or improvements, others less so.

---

If those cups have the same internal dimensions as the SR80s, then I'd be surprised if you notice much difference. The surface of the interior is closer to the surface of plastic than wood is to either - I'd expect a greater difference from a raw wood interior (either sleeves or full wood body) compared to either plastic or metal. I'm not sure that the increased mass is going to make a noticeable difference - and what difference it may/may not make will depend on how well you manage to fix the drivers in the new shell.

With all that said, they are gorgeous, will look unique and the experience gained from modding and testing will give you a better appreciation for what changes impact sound and what you do and don't like.

---

PS, I'd appreciate any input or corrections on the relative impact of modifications from those with more experience (or even just different experiences).

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #8,330 of 8,987
Lets just say, if I will be sure that people will be interested in my store-I’ll give it a chance.
in other words: if people do not give it a chance- I won’t give it too.

I will finish these babies ‚till next week. They are almost finished-I need to polish them well and it's done. it will take some time.

More news later. Let me know what do ya think!
Thanks.
I have one suggestion for the cups and that is if you can make them without the slit for the cable? I've always patched the slit on cups that have it since it acts like a bass port but is not tuned correctly at times

Jul 17, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #8,331 of 8,987
I have one suggestion for the cups and that is if you can make them without the slit for the cable? I've always patched the slit on cups that have it since it acts like a bass port but is not tuned correctly at times

Darn. I already did that. lol. but it’s very accurate and thin. My wires (from 225e) were very difficult to shove. What do you suggest? Just holes?

P.S. sent you pm.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2018 at 3:28 AM Post #8,332 of 8,987
Darn. I already did that. lol. but it’s very accurate and thin. My wires (from 225e) were very difficult to shove. What do you suggest? Just holes?

P.S. sent you pm.
sent a reply to PM. For me having a hole is better since I usually install SMC jacks to make the cables removable so a hole the size of the stock Grado cable is about the perfect size

Jul 18, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #8,333 of 8,987
sent a reply to PM. For me having a hole is better since I usually install SMC jacks to make the cables removable so a hole the size of the stock Grado cable is about the perfect size
oki doki, I will make them next week. Few more pairs I think. With the same design as mentioned above, but just with simple holes. Thanks.

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #8,335 of 8,987
They look lovely (I actually saw these on eBay a couple of days ago and admired them).

I seem to recall a post that listed the order, from most to least impact, of various modifications to a set of headphones. I can't locate it, so from memory and personal experience (YMMV);

For the same set of drivers and same input the largest change is going to be the chamber between driver and ear. Of these, modding or changing the pads offer some of the most dramatic changes by reducing or increasing the volume of air, the distance to the ear and whether the surface(s) of the pad reflect or absorb sound at different frequencies. I would include adding material in front of the driver to absorb or reduce specific frequencies (often done to 'tame treble') and the mods that add spacers to move the driver further from the ear.

Next is modding the cups behind the speaker. Assuming you aren't sealing open or semi-open, nor porting closed headphones then modifying this area includes adding material to absorb sound or damp reflection, adding mass to the driver to try to increase inertia. There are threads that examine the effect of wood sleeves vs aluminium sleeves for Grados, or replacing plastic with either of these. I've seen reports that the surface of the interior of the cup plays an important part - that raw wood has a different sound than that same wood sealed or oiled; that modern, high end Grados (esp. those with metal bodies) have a kind of glue or caulking applied roughly to the surface. There were tests with dowel placed on the back of the driver seems to have no impact on the sound (implying that the cup's impact, at least for Grados, is largely at the interior surface). There have been experiments with attempting to produce wooden bodies that are 'tuned' to resonate. Of all these mods, changing the volume of the cup has more impact than anything else, even for open backed headphones.

For well soldered cables of appropriate gauge (I've run across entire discussions on what constitutes 'appropriate' and frankly lack the knowledge to do more than follow along) and decent connectors, changing cables to higher quality or exotic materials and configurations may make a difference noticeable to some, but not to others. At this point, you start to approach the point of diminishing returns. A well trained ear with decent equipment and source may well benefit from such modifications or improvements, others less so.

---

If those cups have the same internal dimensions as the SR80s, then I'd be surprised if you notice much difference. The surface of the interior is closer to the surface of plastic than wood is to either - I'd expect a greater difference from a raw wood interior (either sleeves or full wood body) compared to either plastic or metal. I'm not sure that the increased mass is going to make a noticeable difference - and what difference it may/may not make will depend on how well you manage to fix the drivers in the new shell.

With all that said, they are gorgeous, will look unique and the experience gained from modding and testing will give you a better appreciation for what changes impact sound and what you do and don't like.

---

PS, I'd appreciate any input or corrections on the relative impact of modifications from those with more experience (or even just different experiences).
WOW lots of info! thanks a lot :) from what ive been reading, it seems no cups at all would be the best option XD

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #8,336 of 8,987
WOW lots of info! thanks a lot :) from what ive been reading, it seems no cups at all would be the best option XD

LOL...you laugh....for a while there was a 3D printed "minimal" cup making the rounds, designed by Rhydon at Symphones. It was done around the time of his V6 driver. Was rather nice actually, but a little fragile.

Jul 20, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #8,337 of 8,987
For first time in ages instead of fiddling with different audio gear. I've just plugged in my grado turbulent x drivers wooden cup headphones into my ibasso dx150 and just rocked some dimmu borgir. Glorious sound

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:24 AM Post #8,338 of 8,987
LOL...you laugh....for a while there was a 3D printed "minimal" cup making the rounds, designed by Rhydon at Symphones. It was done around the time of his V6 driver. Was rather nice actually, but a little fragile.
I got these 3D printed cups from @Harry Manback and they worked out great IIRC, I've since I sold the build since the GF was getting on my case about too many headphones around the place.
For sale-4.jpg

SennGrado-3D cups-1.jpg
I tried to use MMCX jacks but changed them over to SMC since the male MMCX jacks are crap to work with and the connection is not very secure for long term use
SennGrado-3D cups-4.jpg

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #8,340 of 8,987
See my work years ago from lathing the wood cup and experimented different dynamic drivers (including an original one). It was a lot fun.
For detailed process, see https://imgur.com/gallery/LRWvwK9.
The work is also shared on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/8o5pd1/self_made_a_grado_gs2000e_style_headphone_with/

BTW, I have a Grado ms1 and love it too.

zmkKLVY.jpg

ZmFWmz6.jpg

OlezhWy.jpg

kEwGU39.jpg

txl9wKN.jpg

ggpI8iz.jpg

Brjx6Js.jpg

h55ijIs.jpg

OeVyBMU.jpg

UwEXd61.jpg
See my work years ago from lathing the wood cup and experimented different dynamic drivers (including an original one). It was a lot fun.
For detailed process, see https://imgur.com/gallery/LRWvwK9.
The work is also shared on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/8o5pd1/self_made_a_grado_gs2000e_style_headphone_with/

BTW, I have a Grado ms1 and love it too.

zmkKLVY.jpg

ZmFWmz6.jpg

OlezhWy.jpg

kEwGU39.jpg

txl9wKN.jpg

ggpI8iz.jpg

Brjx6Js.jpg

h55ijIs.jpg

OeVyBMU.jpg

UwEXd61.jpg
This is beautiful work.

Users who are viewing this thread