post your grado mods....
Feb 11, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #6,076 of 8,989
  However I ordered:
  1. Earzonk leatherette pads (which sound absolutely terrible

I ordered these out of curiosity for my 325is's and was so disgusted in the first 10 seconds of listening, that I thought cutting the nylon driver cover off would help them out...but didn't help in any way...in total I listened to these for less than 1 minute! I'm shocked Grado lets them even advertise "for Grado headphones" which is also printed on the box they come in, they are so bad! They ruin the Grado sound 100%. Since I couldn't return them because I cut the nylon off, I sent them to another H-F member to listen with them, and he also couldn't believe how bad they were. When he wanted to send them back to me, I told him to throw them in the garbage, which is were they belong! What a total rip off!!! Even though many here like their (L)/(G) cushions, which I've never tried, I would never do business with E-Z again...ever!!!

Feb 11, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #6,077 of 8,989
  I ordered these out of curiosity for my 325is's and was so disgusted in the first 10 seconds of listening, that I thought cutting the nylon driver cover off would help them out...but didn't help in any way...in total I listened to these for less than 1 minute! I'm shocked Grado lets them even advertise "for Grado headphones" which is also printed on the box they come in, they are so bad! They ruin the Grado sound 100%. Since I couldn't return them because I cut the nylon off, I sent them to another H-F member to listen with them, and he also couldn't believe how bad they were. When he wanted to send them back to me, I told him to throw them in the garbage, which is were they belong! What a total rip off!!! Even though many here like their (L)/(G) cushions, which I've never tried, I would never do business with E-Z again...ever!!!

LOL, it's funny how we went through the same process. I was even thinking about giving it to someone. I went through things like stretching the pads over the drivers so that they're flush, nope; still bad. The best result I got was reversing the pads like the reverse bowls. That got me the best result, but... egh...

Do you have any pad recommendations that sound like the reverse bowl mod but still comfortable?

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #6,078 of 8,989

LOL, it's funny how we went through the same process. I was even thinking about giving it to someone. I went through things like stretching the pads over the drivers so that they're flush, nope; still bad. The best result I got was reversing the pads like the reverse bowls. That got me the best result, but... egh...

Do you have any pad recommendations that sound like the reverse bowl mod but still comfortable?

The best result I got was giving them away!
Sorry, I don't have any comfort issues with the Grado (L) cushions at all, I was just curious about the E-Z vinyl pads, so I have no recommendations for you.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #6,080 of 8,989
  Their G-cushions are ok in my opinion and the price is right. I wouldn't recommend their L-cush. Their S are also nice but for the price I rather get the original ones. 

Even before trying their vinyl pads, I wouldn't have bought their knockoff Grado cushions.
I have no sound/comfort issues with the real deal! 
smile.gif

Feb 12, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #6,081 of 8,989
  Their G-cushions are ok in my opinion and the price is right. I wouldn't recommend their L-cush. Their S are also nice but for the price I rather get the original ones. 

Even before trying their vinyl pads, I wouldn't have bought their knockoff Grado cushions.
I have no sound/comfort issues with the real deal! 
smile.gif

I don't detect an enough of an appreciable difference between their Gs and Grado Gs to justify paying for the real deal. Their Ls however are a touch shallower than Grado Ls so to me their SQ lies between Grado Ls and TTVJ Flats. A nice middle ground that sounds great on my RS1s and SennGrados.

Feb 12, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #6,082 of 8,989

Have you tried the 414 pads?

I also like the TTVJ flat pads, but they're not exactly cheap...

And I use EZ G cushions on the ZennJazzGrado

Feb 12, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #6,083 of 8,989
Have you tried the 414 pads?

I also like the TTVJ flat pads, but they're not exactly cheap...

And I use EZ G cushions on the ZennJazzGrado

I tried the Scotch tape mod and loved it as well. I remember I have thermal tape lying around, when I get back home and find out that the thermal tape doesn't look too bad compared to regular Scotch tape: I'll stick to that =)
If that doesn't work, then I'll try out the HD 414 pads.

Edit: I couldn't find it :frowning2:
On the good side, I found "Magic Wrap" Insulation Tape. It doesn't keep the highs like the scotch tape does. However it gives me the sound that I liked from the reverse bowls. I'll post pictures and measurements when I complete this project!

Edit 2: I didn't really like the loss of treble. So I put transparent scotch tape under the insulation tape.

Result? A fun V shaped sounding headphone

Lesson with all this:

DON'T BUY EARPADS. Have fun with tape and then buy a tape that will make your earpads look aesthetically nicer.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #6,084 of 8,989

I don't detect an enough of an appreciable difference between their Gs and Grado Gs to justify paying for the real deal. Their Ls however are a touch shallower than Grado Ls so to me their SQ lies between Grado Ls and TTVJ Flats. A nice middle ground that sounds great on my RS1s and SennGrados.

I think Joe nailed it. The EZ Ls give more bass and less trebles than the Grado Ls. There's no reason not to like the EZ Ls. It's almost like tape-modding your stock Ls. The foams seem to be more durable (read: take longer to disintegrate) too.

@Nec3  I'm awaiting your further findings. I use electric tapes and sometimes forget that there're many different tape types...

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #6,085 of 8,989

I think Joe nailed it. The EZ Ls give more bass and less trebles than the Grado Ls. There's no reason not to like the EZ Ls. It's almost like tape-modding your stock Ls. The foams seem to be more durable (read: take longer to disintegrate) too.

@Nec3  I'm awaiting your further findings. I use electric tapes and sometimes forget that there're many different tape types...

I gave up on the tape... It was bloated bass and not enough treble fun. I just went back to using Reverse L bowls.

Feb 15, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #6,086 of 8,989
Too bad you don't like 'em. Without tape-modding, my (old) un-burnt 325e had broken, shrieking trebles. On the other hand, tape-modding the Earzonk Ls turn guitar riffs into a bloated mess. That was the reason I stayed away from the Earzonk Leatherette. From the look of it, I already knew that it will ruin the sound. Plus, I was totally happy with my Earzonk Ls (discovered them about 2 years ago).

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #6,087 of 8,989
My first try at making a Grado Headband. Went to a local Leather store and bought about 5 different color scraps of some excellent quality soft leather, it was only $20 a pound! so basically the build was leather cut out at about 1/2" larger all the way around, using the original black vinyl as a template. 2 of thos cut out with the second one being about 3/4" larger to make room for the batting on the bottom piece. thin piece of plastic again, cut out using the original headband as a template. for the top, it was leather and plastic piece with a little spray adhesive to fold it over, the bottom was some batting, plastic piece and again the spray adhesive to fold over and make it stick. Small slit also cut in the bottom one to slide the metal band through, and then it was a matter of sewing all the way around. The metal band.slid between the two pieces plastic. Make sure the bottom plastic piece is shorter by about 1/4 on both ends. you don't want the plastic piece on the bottom to cover your slot for the headband. My sister does upholstery, so you will need a heavy duty sewing machine to sew through 4 layers of leather. Here is the result, not perfect, but it has personality!

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #6,088 of 8,989
  My first try at making a Grado Headband. Went to a local Leather store and bought about 5 different color scraps of some excellent quality soft leather, it was only $20 a pound! so basically the build was leather cut out at about 1/2" larger all the way around, using the original black vinyl as a template. 2 of thos cut out with the second one being about 3/4" larger to make room for the batting on the bottom piece. thin piece of plastic again, cut out using the original headband as a template. for the top, it was leather and plastic piece with a little spray adhesive to fold it over, the bottom was some batting, plastic piece and again the spray adhesive to fold over and make it stick. Small slit also cut in the bottom one to slide the metal band through, and then it was a matter of sewing all the way around. The metal band.slid between the two pieces plastic. Make sure the bottom plastic piece is shorter by about 1/4 on both ends. you don't want the plastic piece on the bottom to cover your slot for the headband. My sister does upholstery, so you will need a heavy duty sewing machine to sew through 4 layers of leather. Here is the result, not perfect, but it has personality!

Nicely done!

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #6,090 of 8,989
Finally got my lathe today! Posted this in the T50rp modding thread as that's where I am camping out mostly these days...I'd be lying if I said I didn't start thinking of possible Grado designs as Jim was showing me how to use it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back