post your grado mods....
Feb 4, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #6,047 of 8,988
  This one is the closest I've seen.

http://turbulentlabs.com/grado-saddle-manta/

That is the one I am considering. It seems a bit light and a better match for the RS1e. The Coffee Manta also seems a tad too dark. Maybe I just stick with black..

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #6,048 of 8,988

That is the one I am considering. It seems a bit light and a better match for the RS1e. The Coffee Manta also seems a tad too dark. Maybe I just stick with black..

If I was to ever change the headband on my RS1i I would go with the Coffee.
I'm sure the coring of the cups on all the RS1i/e's vary but mine are dark compared to others I've seen, so the Coffee would match mine well.

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #6,049 of 8,988
  If I was to ever change the headband on my RS1i I would go with the Coffee.
I'm sure the coring of the cups on all the RS1i/e's vary but mine are dark compared to others I've seen, so the Coffee would match mine well.

I just received my RS1i and my cups are pretty dark. I definitely agree think black or coffee are the best choices. The stock headband is actually pretty solid (compared to my wimpy 325i)

Feb 4, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #6,051 of 8,988
  Dosen't your (325is in my case) have the same "stock" headband as your RS1i? Mine does.

That's funny. As soon as I posted that comment, I second guessed myself immediately. But I just double checked and the 325i headband is not as wide or thick. The RS1i definitely has more cushion

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #6,052 of 8,988
  That's funny. As soon as I posted that comment, I second guessed myself immediately. But I just double checked and the 325i headband is not as wide or thick. The RS1i definitely has more cushion

WOW big difference!
My 325is has the same headband as the RS1i…I guess that was one of the improvements on the 325 (is) model.

Feb 4, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #6,053 of 8,988
  WOW big difference!
My 325is has the same headband as the RS1i…I guess that was one of the improvements on the 325 (is) model.

I think the thicker headband is only on the later RS1i models. Further, it looks like grado is releasing the RS1e with a dark brown thick headband. 

Edit --

Now I realize you have the 325is which has the thicker band. I get it now :)

Feb 6, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #6,055 of 8,988
In a moment of impulse I shipped the SR40, which will come to me in one month (I don't live in the US). However after a tour de head-fi 2003 I found that the 40s are not remembered fondly. So I'm thinking of modding them into something comfortable with open cups. I may try to turn them into clip-ons (someone on head-fi did), or turn them into on-ear/over ear. I heard that the SR40s use original SR60 drivers - is there anyway to turn them into something that is compatible with G cushs?

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #6,057 of 8,988
  In a moment of impulse I shipped the SR40, which will come to me in one month (I don't live in the US). However after a tour de head-fi 2003 I found that the 40s are not remembered fondly. So I'm thinking of modding them into something comfortable with open cups. I may try to turn them into clip-ons (someone on head-fi did), or turn them into on-ear/over ear. I heard that the SR40s use original SR60 drivers - is there anyway to turn them into something that is compatible with G cushs?

I had an SR40 and is didn't sound very good (to put it mildly).  The outer cup area acoustics resonate with ANY midrange in the vicinity and creates an echo-ey hollow chamber resonant sound.  Just wearing the headphones (with no music playing) with people talking near-by, or a TV set on causes earcup chamber resonance.... just awful.  Its what happens when you design audio equipment for asthetics and profitability and sonics takes a second seat.  Its been a while but IIRC John contracted out their design to a foreign OEM manufacturer... and the results spoke for themselves.

G-cush pads won't fit.  I was using HD414 pads on mine for a while. I pulled the SR60 drivers out and transplanted them into an old Sony MDR CD-### headphone which didn't sound much better.  I gave that headphone to a co-worker.

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #6,059 of 8,988
I got a soldering station in January, one of my new year resolutions was to learn how to solder. To be fair I "soldered" once before but it was an exothermic welding in a mold so it doesn't count (I used to work for a company that sell connectors for the electrical industry) Last night I decided to fix two "broken" headphones I had: the Magnum V4 drivers in Cocobolo cups and the headphones that made me join this community: my grado sr60i. (My ex cut the cable trying to get me mad but that is another story) I left the pieces in a corner and forget about them. 

I started with the Magnums... (what kind of crazy guy learns how to solder using magnum drivers??) the soldering wasn't the tricky part but to keep everything firmly attached to apply enough pressure and not blowing the work was really a challenge. Playing with desoldering wick showed me that my pulse is not that bad in the end. 

Later was the turn of my Grados, I got the Laredo headband last year but it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Look nice but that thing is too delicate... Long story short: I soldered a cheap cable to the drivers, put sr60e cups on them and used the headband.
The instant I tried the original sr60i drivers reminded me the moment I listened for the first time a pair of Grado headphones. Nirvana. 

I was genuinely happy. It was a good moment. No other headphone put a smile on my face immediately after I tried them.
I know they don't sound better than the magnums and the sr325i but still. Now I feel I have way too many headphones.

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #6,060 of 8,988
  (My ex cut the cable trying to get me mad but that another story) 

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back