post your grado mods....
Feb 15, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #6,092 of 8,988
  Finally got my lathe today! Posted this in the T50rp modding thread as that's where I am camping out mostly these days...I'd be lying if I said I didn't start thinking of possible Grado designs as Jim was showing me how to use it :D

Very cool!
My father is a machinist and has an industrial lathe for metals in his garage and makes anything that comes to mind with it, so I'm sure you'll be on your way to making cups/rod blocks/gimbals for your HP's. Good luck with your new lathe, enjoy it!

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #6,096 of 8,988
thanks
i was gonna scavenge them for the parts
but they sound pretty good, a bit harsh in the highs
i think i'm gonna keep the as is
the cable is an experiment to see if the silk will stay on
so far so good

Feb 16, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #6,097 of 8,988
  Finally got my lathe today! Posted this in the T50rp modding thread as that's where I am camping out mostly these days...I'd be lying if I said I didn't start thinking of possible Grado designs as Jim was showing me how to use it :D

very nice indeed! when you're ready to do some rs-1 style cups, let's re-visit our koa cups...

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #6,098 of 8,988

Way to GO fleasbaby.....i think i should get in line now for what is to come from YOU!
biggrin.gif

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #6,099 of 8,988
Way to GO fleasbaby.....i think i should get in line now for what is to come from YOU! :D

LMAO...well, it will take a little time for me to get up to speed with it...promises to fun though. Mucked about with it a little this morning, was most enjoyable...things are stalled until I get a grinder to sharpen my tools with as I go along. Harbor Freight here I come :D

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #6,100 of 8,988

very nice indeed! when you're ready to do some rs-1 style cups, let's re-visit our koa cups...

Isn't the sap in Koa toxic?... causes respiratory illness when you inhale the dust and fumes.  I thought I read that somewhere on the DIY guitar forums.  Maybe it was Korina

Feb 16, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #6,101 of 8,988
Isn't the sap in Koa toxic?... causes respiratory illness when you inhale the dust and fumes.  I thought I read that somewhere on the DIY guitar forums.  Maybe it was Korina

Holy $h1t...thanks for the heads up. I recently bought a mask so I should be good...still...worth looking into.

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #6,103 of 8,988

It's Korina that's toxic.  Although the Wood Database does say this about Koa.

"
There have been no adverse health effects associated with Koa. However, several species of Acacia, including the closely related 
Australian Blackwood
, have been reported to cause eye, skin, and respiratory irritation."

Feb 16, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #6,104 of 8,988
It's Korina that's toxic.  Although the Wood Database does say this about Koa.

"[COLOR=333333]There have been no adverse health effects associated with Koa. However, several species of Acacia, including the closely related [/COLOR][COLOR=105378]Australian Blackwood[/COLOR][COLOR=333333], have been reported to cause eye, skin, and respiratory irritation."[/COLOR]

Bugger...I went through some Korina a while back. No adverse effects but still, nice to know now.

Feb 16, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #6,105 of 8,988
Bugger...I went through some Korina a while back. No adverse effects but still, nice to know now.

This is what the wood database says about Korina.

Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Limba has been reported to cause skin irritation and respiratory irritation, as well hives, asthma-like symptoms, and bleeding of the nose and gums. Splinters also tend to become infected and take longer than usual to heal. See the articles 
Wood Allergies and Toxicity
and 
Wood Dust Safety
 for more information.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back