post your grado mods....
Jun 14, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #5,026 of 8,987
Plussound are great...had a plain brown and from them for a while...

Jun 15, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #5,027 of 8,987
I posted this in the non-Grado driver thread. Honestly the only part of these that is still Grado is the metal part of the headband and the gimbles.

what driver? seinh ?

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #5,028 of 8,987
meet member Audi kere hore group, surabaya region

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #5,029 of 8,987
Jun 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM Post #5,031 of 8,987
Just want to give a big shout out to fleasbaby for guiding me throughout the modding process of my 225i. And special thanks to Kugino for posting earlier nice photos of his 225i mod with a Lignum Vitae cups :cool: He referred me to fleasbaby for the nice wooden cups which propelled me down this path.

At first, I was daunted by the task of liberating the drivers. Never thought I could do this. But fleasbaby was very thorough in explaining thru each step until I finally have reached the part where I was able to cut into both sleeves, that were holding the drivers, without placing much damage to them. This allowed me, at least, to re-assemble back my HP in place or to its original state.

However the only thing I didn’t quite accomplish was the soldering part of the stock cables. It was just too delicate for me to deal with and felt it left me little room for error. After a long consideration, I chickened out and ordered the Vibro classic cups instead. This particular cup design has a notch which doesn’t require to detach the stock cable off the drivers.

So I now have an extra Lignum Vitae cups available which I may just keep, in case I’m in for another building mod; otherwise, I’ll put them out in the market. Best part of all - accomplishing this project without having to read throughout the entire thread which I know would've taken forever :D So once again, thanks to the both of them :)

Jun 16, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #5,032 of 8,987
Just want to give a big shout out to fleasbaby for guiding me throughout the modding process of my 225i. And special thanks to Kugino for posting earlier nice photos of his 225i mod with a Lignum Vitae cups :cool: He referred me to fleasbaby for the nice wooden cups which propelled me down this path.

At first, I was daunted by the task of liberating the drivers. Never thought I could do this. But fleasbaby was very thorough in explaining thru each step until I finally have reached the part where I was able to cut into both sleeves, that were holding the drivers, without placing much damage to them. This allowed me, at least, to re-assemble back my HP in place or to its original state.

However the only thing I didn’t quite accomplish was the soldering part of the stock cables. It was just too delicate for me to deal with and felt it left me little room for error. After a long consideration, I chickened out and ordered the Vibro classic cups instead. This particular cup design has a notch which doesn’t require to detach the stock cable off the drivers.

So I now have an extra Lignum Vitae cups available which I may just keep, in case I’m in for another building mod; otherwise, I’ll put them out in the market. Best part of all - accomplishing this project without having to read throughout the entire thread which I know would've taken forever :D So once again, thanks to the both of them :)

No worries :). Always fun to help out with a project!

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5,034 of 8,987
How about hearing some bass mods after replacing the plastic cups?
smily_headphones1.gif
  I noticed improvements in the upper and soundstage department although a slight compromise in the lower end, as a result.  What do you guys think is the most effective way to add inside the cups just to tighten the bass region?  I certainly like the sound quality even more now with the wooden cups – there's an almost RS2i feel to it.
cool.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #5,035 of 8,987
Ditto. Those cups are beautiful to look at (and smell nice, too) so keeping them wouldn't be the worst thing. Good luck!

Thanks!  Yes that distinct smell actually brought some childhood memories when my dad used to bring home nice wooden chess sets.  He always wanted quality chess pieces where he can find one, determined by weight and feel…just like with sound
wink.gif

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #5,036 of 8,987
I just had a couple questions:

7keys-> Did you make those wood cups or who did?

Does anyone here make custom wood cups for others out of Lignum Vitae?

Edit: I answered both questions finally, trolling through the forum. Just didn't notice at first. As I understand it @7keys made his own cups @fleasbaby makes cups too including out of Lignum Vitae?

Jun 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #5,037 of 8,987
Just for reference, I've been interested in doing a custom Grado style build for awhile. I'm looking for a closer to neutral sound with extended bass without too much of a midbass hump that most Grados have and smoother highs with a great soundstage that I hear about with the GS/PS1000. Full bodied mids a plus that are great for male and female vocals. Looking at doing a MS1000 styled mod (with recessed driver for improved soundstage with g-cush or mod for Beyer velours.) I've looked at the Jaben AluMod but I think wood might be more elegant and lighter. May Start out with a Grado SR80 or 225 and slowly mod as budget allows with Turbulent-X drivers, Martin Aluminum gimbals and rodblocks, embossed leather headband etc.

But I've only heard a Grado SR60/80 so I don't know what all the different mods actually sound like.

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #5,038 of 8,987
@ Azrael
Hi I would try listening to some 225is headphones and go from there.these I feel are a sweet spot in the range that does not produce such highs.you can usually smooth these ones out a little further with some either African black cups of cocobolo or ebony.these are very nice dense woods and produce a very delightful sound.

Jun 19, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #5,039 of 8,987
  How about hearing some bass mods after replacing the plastic cups?
smily_headphones1.gif
  I noticed improvements in the upper and soundstage department although a slight compromise in the lower end, as a result.  What do you guys think is the most effective way to add inside the cups just to tighten the bass region?  I certainly like the sound quality even more now with the wooden cups – there's an almost RS2i feel to it.
cool.gif

If you put a leather band around the L-Cush pads it boosts the bass a bit and looks nice also, some use tape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back