post your grado mods....
May 28, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #4,996 of 8,992
May 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #4,997 of 8,992
I'm hoping to add a little more "body" to the sound of my SR225i, and have decided to look at fitting wooden cups. The two options I have found are the Yew Woodworks cups (Cocobolo or Hawaiian Koa) and the obvious Turbulent Labs Vibros. Which of these options is likely to sound better? The Yew ones clearly look better....

Also, if I were to go for the Yew Woodworks cups, which wood would give a more neutral sound? Both are, AFAIK, tone woods. I think that Cocobolo is used in the manufacture of high-end woodwind instruments.

Finally, how easy will it be to liberate the SR225i drivers? Will I need to destroy the plastic cups to do so? What is generally the success rate? If it goes wrong, I will be left with a headband and gimbals to sell for spares....

....or I will need to buy a set of Magnum drivers from Turbulent.

If you are looking for a more neutral sound, a harder wood is the way to go. I have gotten great results with cups made of Lignum Vitae. Curly Maple, African Blackwood and several others have yielded similar results. Lean, punchy bass, nice clear highs, unobstructed mids. I am currently using Turbulent X drivers.

I had some 225 pinks and some 225i that I tried in Paduak, and that was a nice "bodied" sound (if we are using the same definition
smily_headphones1.gif
).

May 29, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #5,001 of 8,992
7Keys, I love the leather jacket. I definitely want to do this.
That looks perfect.
I did the tape mod and immediately got more bass without sacrificing any detail on my MS1i's. But ever since I changed my pads on my DT770's to leather from the Velour, my L cushes  don't feel comfortable as I would like. And I wear them a lot.
The change on the Beyers to the leather was amazing and incredible -- better sound all the way around and way more comfortable. Crisper bass, and it brought the mids and low mids forward imo and gave them a more balanced sound.

How much did putting leather all the way around the L cush affect the imaging? Did it box it up too much? I actually like the imaging I get with the MS1i. It's tighter than my DT770's, but a lot of my live recorded FLACs that are audience and soundboard recordings have a much better soundstage than the Beyers. Very accurate, especially at low late night volumes.

May 29, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5,003 of 8,992

7Keys, I love the leather jacket. I definitely want to do this.
That looks perfect.
I did the tape mod and immediately got more bass without sacrificing any detail on my MS1i's. But ever since I changed my pads on my DT770's to leather from the Velour, my L cushes  don't feel comfortable as I would like. And I wear them a lot.
The change on the Beyers to the leather was amazing and incredible -- better sound all the way around and way more comfortable. Crisper bass, and it brought the mids and low mids forward imo and gave them a more balanced sound.

How much did putting leather all the way around the L cush affect the imaging? Did it box it up too much? I actually like the imaging I get with the MS1i. It's tighter than my DT770's, but a lot of my live recorded FLACs that are audience and soundboard recordings have a much better soundstage than the Beyers. Very accurate, especially at low late night volumes.

As you can see in the picture I have only made one so far..
rolleyes.gif

The other one is half finished, I'll finish it tonight.

May 30, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #5,006 of 8,992
I've just totalled both drivers trying to solder my sr80s into their new wooden homes. Not a good start to the weekend.:frowning2:

Not good at all! What kind of soldering iron were you using ?

May 30, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #5,007 of 8,992
Gas one. I was too impatient getting the old cable off that I ripped the connections off the driver.

I thought I'd done the first driver ok but no sounds when I tested it.

Never mind. I've ordered a pair of px100s so sengrado's here I come.

May 30, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #5,008 of 8,992
Damn that sucks on two fronts. Amazon had the senn PX100-ii for $45 last Saturday. Now they are $65

May 30, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #5,009 of 8,992
£30 here in the uk. I was interested in them anyway.

I blame this forum
biggrin.gif
I started reading it about a year ago when my cables started playing up. Several million read posts later and I've made my own wooden cups and cables. Shame i blew the drivers. They were a present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back