post your grado mods....
Jun 21, 2014 at 9:22 AM Post #5,044 of 8,987
Easy peasy
1. Find a thin metal rod. I cut one from an old metal clothes hanger. Note that the final diameter of the coil will be twice the diameter of the rod when all is done.
2. Step two, coil cable around rod really tight and secure both ends with electric tape or duct tape. note that final coiled part length will be around half of the coil you wrapped in the rod.
3. Find a shallow container that will fit the length of rod.
4. Pour boiling water on container and soak the coiled cable. coils must be completely immersed
5. Let it sit until both water and coil are cool enough to touch.
6. Remove tape on the jack side of the coil.
7. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: reverse the coil by turning the jack to the opposite direction of your original coil, stretch accordingly to avoid tangles. Keep turning until the entire coil is reversed.

Reversing the coil tightens it like in the picture. It also improves the cable's ability to return to the coil when stretched

Jun 21, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #5,045 of 8,987
Anyone doing the MS1000 mod anymore?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/323271/alessandro-ms1000-and-ms-ultimate-diy-modding-56k-warning

Jun 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #5,047 of 8,987
My SG1000's :) Sorta

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #5,050 of 8,987
7keys, interested in seeing some black cherry cups!

I still have some blocks of cocobolo and, I think, maple waiting to be cut into something artistic. I want to do something really nice with the cocobolo, but I want to put a really nice, deep, gloss finish afterwards. Not sure what to use that will be tough enough to avoid scratch and chipping. My current coco's are just buffed and waxed. While they look great, just are not stunning enough for me!

Yeah, I'm still around, lurking in the shadows. I check up on this place every day, just been hella busy with training for a promotion at work for the past few months (still training), but cillaxin' to some good tunes on the Grado's ends the day well every time!

Jun 26, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,051 of 8,987
Wondering if anybody is willing to part with their Magnum v4s.  I have a set of SR325i aluminum cups, with some wooden inserts.  Given (at least from what I heard) the v5s were designed for wood cups while the v4s were designed for aluminum cups, I would like to get my hands on some aluminum cups and fit drivers into housings they were meant to be housed in.

If you have one, and know of someone who still has one, let me know.

Jun 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #5,054 of 8,987
  7keys, interested in seeing some black cherry cups!

I still have some blocks of cocobolo and, I think, maple waiting to be cut into something artistic. I want to do something really nice with the cocobolo, but I want to put a really nice, deep, gloss finish afterwards. Not sure what to use that will be tough enough to avoid scratch and chipping. My current coco's are just buffed and waxed. While they look great, just are not stunning enough for me!

Yeah, I'm still around, lurking in the shadows. I check up on this place every day, just been hella busy with training for a promotion at work for the past few months (still training), but cillaxin' to some good tunes on the Grado's ends the day well every time!

I'd like to see what you do with your Cocobolo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back