post your grado mods....
Mar 18, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #271 of 8,992
Simple mod that works incredibly well for me:

Stack the HD414 pads, quarter modded, with the bowls. Unlike the shack hack rs1's, the bowls should rest on top of the hd414 pads. Soundstage is a lot better, bass impact is reduced, and it's a lot clearer. More comfortable, too.

Mar 19, 2008 at 2:13 PM Post #274 of 8,992
Copper would look beautiful with wood. -hell copper looks amazing on it's own! (better than gold does)

I plan on using it to rescreen the top of my MAX and for the screens of my woodied MS1's (once I buy new drivers/new set).

Mar 19, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #275 of 8,992
I like the black screens on my dad's old SR225.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 20, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #277 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by omg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
still wondering if any of you have tips on what to use to re-screen my sr80s...

I just used the patches that you can get for repairing screen doors at my local hardware store. Cheap (couple of bucks), easy to work with, and they come in black (not a huge fan of the silver).

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #278 of 8,992
I just woodied my HF-1 #28 tonight. Bought the cups from strangedaze39 in February. Alex at APureSound did a great job gluing them back together when he did the re-cable, so I only just now had the time to get them apart to woodie them.

hf1_woodied.jpg

Mar 21, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #279 of 8,992
Why did you put the grills all the way down the cups, doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of installing deep woodies on your HF-1 ?!

Also,

Here's my tweaked SR100 :

Grado SR100 w/ Factory HP1000 Drivers,
Grado Signature Laboratory Standard Audio Cable,
Unbuttoned/Regrilled Black SR325 Housings,
Beyer Headband & Grado Flat Pads.

Put together by a good friend of mine, Laurent aka larryminator on this forum.

Mar 21, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #280 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why did you put the grills all the way down the cups, doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of installing deep woodies on your HF-1 ?!

I think they are pretty transparent, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to mount them any other way; because the stock grills were too big to fit inside the hole at the outer end, and they wanted to come apart when I tried to bend them at the edges.

I can pretty easily heat them up now and remove the grills when I hear back from someone about how to mount them anywhere else, or get the materials to build my own grills.

strangedaze39 said he was gonna send me new grills separately, but I didn't get any, so I PM'd him.

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #281 of 8,992
doesnt they sound weird with those closed backs??

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My reverse woodied MS-1
icon10.gif

Still have more to do to them, as always.

csc7216ail6.jpg

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #282 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricmat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
doesnt they sound weird with those closed backs??

I'm not the OP but I believe that is a layer of foam ...

confused.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #283 of 8,992
oh! really?? i thought it was black "card" or something even harder...

Quote:

Originally Posted by s1rrah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not the OP but I believe that is a layer of foam ...

confused.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #284 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think they are pretty transparent, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to mount them any other way; because the stock grills were too big to fit inside the hole at the outer end, and they wanted to come apart when I tried to bend them at the edges.

I can pretty easily heat them up now and remove the grills when I hear back from someone about how to mount them anywhere else, or get the materials to build my own grills.

strangedaze39 said he was gonna send me new grills separately, but I didn't get any, so I PM'd him.

I very much doubt that the location of the grill impacts the rest of the woody's chamber. So long as you have a grill there to protect the driver, it should be perfectly alright.

My woody is actually 2 pieces - the chamber and the lip were glued together with the mesh resting in between the two. The lips of my cups happen to be so thick that my mesh appears to be farther down inside the chambers, but they are actually sitting right on top of them.

Here's a pic to give an idea of what I'm talking about (had been meaning to post anyway):

HPIM2355.jpg

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #285 of 8,992
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aura /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Here's a pic to give an idea of what I'm talking about (had been meaning to post anyway):

HPIM2355.jpg

My goodness!! Those look fantastic which models were modded this way? And please describe the differences between the stock model and the modded version. Great job man, did you do the modding yourself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back