Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #20,521 of 27,137
Folly. I just pulled my Realistic Pro 30's out of storage and hooked them up via the speaker outs on my receiver. There's the small headstage, sure enough, but also the spectacular imaging! On Here and Heaven off of Yo-Yo Ma et al's The Goat Rodeo Sessions, the female lead was almost nuzzling the back of my skull, and the male backup was singing over her shoulder. There were the sparkling highs, the dripping-honey mids, and the slightly slightly rolled-off but visceral bass. Folly, I've missed my orthos!

Before, I was mainly using craft-felt from Michael's and "shamois" microfiber cloth from Big-Lots. Does anyone have any recommended felts for the inbound T50RP's?

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #20,522 of 27,137
Quote:
Folly. I just pulled my Realistic Pro 30's out of storage and hooked them up via the speaker outs on my receiver. There's the small headstage, sure enough, but also the spectacular imaging! On Here and Heaven off of Yo-Yo Ma et al's The Goat Rodeo Sessions, the female lead was almost nuzzling the back of my skull, and the male backup was singing over her shoulder. There were the sparkling highs, the dripping-honey mids, and the slightly slightly rolled-off but visceral bass. Folly, I've missed my orthos!

Before, I was mainly using craft-felt from Michael's and "shamois" microfiber cloth from Big-Lots. Does anyone have any recommended felts for the inbound T50RP's?

This link might help.

BTW, is Clermont near Wallaby Ranch and Quest Air? I seem to remember driving through a small town on my way there that I think was Clermont.

Sep 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #20,523 of 27,137
Quote:
1 ) The Unipolar are the strangest headphone I've tried to measure.  Maybe the huge size of the driver has to do with the way it measures?

2 ) Also, the amount of bass measured changes depending on volume. The more volume, the less bass is measured. This might be related to the amp or transformer box as well, but I've no idea if and how.

3 ) I did find by looking at the CSD graphs that a ridge which shows up at 10.8 kHz ... seems to be riding on an ear canal resonance. ... Found it at about 9.8 kHz, put the EQ dip in there and quite a bit of harshness was gone.

1 ) Oh yeah. See if you can move the mic/headphone around ever so slightly. Watch the graph change.

2 ) It's entirely possible the transformers are designed to saturate, thus saving the diaphragms from hitting the stators too hard.

3 ) Wow, a third harmonic of the ear canal resonance..? does the second harmonic show up too?

Sep 29, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #20,524 of 27,137
I'll see about doing some averaged measurements. The Unipolar basically measure like on-ears - which I've found a pain to measure with any accuracy (for whatever reason).

I'm wondering whether the channel imbalance in the bass that my pair has is related to the muting of the bass at higher volumes. Could be a faulty transformer box, maybe?

The resonance (peak) that shows up at 10.8 kHz in non-pinna measurements and which I hear at about 9.8 or so kHz is most likely the second ear canal resonance.

Oct 2, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #20,525 of 27,137
Hi,
I joined the forum today to thank you all for the valuable information, that you offer here!
Secondly I wanted to share a new source for the bipolar (most probably SFI) ortho drivers, although there are just 8 ohm types available:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/150913313502?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
You will hear soon, if they are useful for headphones, because I try them and will tell you.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #20,527 of 27,137
Quote:
Hi,
I joined the forum today to thank you all for the valuable information, that you offer here!
Secondly I wanted to share a new source for the bipolar (most probably SFI) ortho drivers, although there are just 8 ohm types available:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/150913313502?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
You will hear soon, if they are useful for headphones, because I try them and will tell you.

That's great news!

My 32ohm SFI hybrids are exceptional phones, my default when I'm not using an amp, and I always regret wasting a few pairs of drivers on stupid projects, when I had no idea what I was doing. I bought a couple pairs of the 8ohm drivers you mentioned, can't wait to try them.

BTW if anybody needs an easy mod for them, look for my Sony hybrids a few months back in this thread, I still have the designs for the laser-cut baffles and can share them. Cheap, easy to assemble, great sound straight out of a pc or a media player.

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #20,529 of 27,137
Quote:
I'm wondering whether the channel imbalance in the bass that my pair has is related to the muting of the bass at higher volumes. Could be a faulty transformer box, maybe?

The resonance (peak) that shows up at 10.8 kHz in non-pinna measurements and which I hear at about 9.8 or so kHz is most likely the second ear canal resonance.

Possible but not likely. Could be a partially-tripped inline protection device of some kind.

Quote:
Does not ship internationally it seems :/

Well, dang it, they sold some to ludoo, and he's in Italy. Ludoo, how did you convince them to ship them to you? 

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #20,531 of 27,137
Quote:
although it says "no international shipping" he sends it to you, if you send a mail and ask for it.
I know, because I live in Austria and got it this way.

on it. Says 8 ohm but I wonder if it's an 8 - something range.

Oct 3, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #20,532 of 27,137
Quote:
Well, dang it, they sold some to ludoo, and he's in Italy. Ludoo, how did you convince them to ship them to you? 

I did not convince him, I just pushed the BIN button. :)

I'm still waiting for a shipping price though, so it's possible he won't want to ship them here, which will be tricky as he did not set a country-based restriction on the auction. Let's see what happens.

Oct 3, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #20,533 of 27,137
I'll check in if they get back to me .=> Says he only ships to Germany, I even reminded him I would pay any extra shipping.  Too bad.

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:10 PM Post #20,534 of 27,137
The seller got back to me: apparently shipping to Italy is not the same as shipping to Austria, we must be second-class EU citizens...

Is there any German member willing to buy a couple sets for me, and ship them to Italy?

Oct 3, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #20,535 of 27,137
If nobody from Germany will be helpful, I could order them and send them to Italy: I pay 22 EUR for 2 sets (including postage) but the Austrian postal service is expensive and the way to Italy would cost around 10,- EUR additionally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back