Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 3, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #20,536 of 27,156
Quote:
If nobody from Germany will be helpful, I could order them and send them to Italy: I pay 22 EUR for 2 sets (including postage) but the Austrian postal service is expensive and the way to Italy would cost around 10,- EUR additionally.

Wow thanks, maybe one pair is enough. If you PM me with the total amount and your paypal address, I will transfer the money. Fantastic!

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #20,537 of 27,156
If nobody from Germany will be helpful, I could order them and send them to Italy: I pay 22 EUR for 2 sets (including postage) but the Austrian postal service is expensive and the way to Italy would cost around 10,- EUR additionally.

I would be interested as well...!!
To Canada though :S

Let's see if nick gets a favorable reply, otherwise I may be able to purchase myself.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #20,538 of 27,156
nah
frown.gif
too bad the guy got back to me and said shipping only to Germany, I told him I was even prepared to pay any extra costs.
Good luck everybody.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:09 PM Post #20,541 of 27,156
Quote:
Ok, I ordered 2 sets today. They cost me 11 EUR per set plus the shipping to you. If you want more, I have to order them: please tell me.

Fantastic! If someone wants the second set (and you don't mind shipping to two different ppl) I can get only one, otherwise I'll be glad to have both. Please send me a PM with your paypal address and the amount I owe you.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #20,542 of 27,156
please take a look at this calculator for the shipping price and tell me the way you like it. To Italy it could be as cheap as 3,40 EUR and to Canada 5,90 EUR as a letter (no tracking, no insurance, ...). The better way is a parcel (insured!) but it is also more expensive.
http://www.post.at/en/privat_versenden_formate_tarifrechner.php

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #20,543 of 27,156
Quote:
please take a look at this calculator for the shipping price and tell me the way you like it. To Italy it could be as cheap as 3,40 EUR and to Canada 5,90 EUR as a letter (no tracking, no insurance, ...). The better way is a parcel (insured!) but it is also more expensive.
http://www.post.at/en/privat_versenden_formate_tarifrechner.php

I weighted my last pair of 120ohm SFI drivers, and each driver weighs about 38g. So, if I get one pair and the other goes to Canada, I guess including a padded envelope and a couple cardboard sheets for protection, it should be under 150g. It should fit in a C6 envelope which with tracking is 9.65€.

If you think that's ok, can you send me a total for the ebay purchase + ebay shipping + packing material + postage, and your paypal address?

I will have a couple baffles laser cut to size to fit them onto cheap Sony MDR-ZX100, they work splendidly with SFI drivers and are very cheap. The baffles should cost a few euros (I can't remember but something like 3 or 4€) so if anybody needs a pair just tell me and I'll add them to my order. You can check here and here for details about my Sony hybrids.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #20,544 of 27,156
@Bruma: As a letter, would that be a regular envelope or something a bit thicker? I'm okay without tracking... slightly more concerned on whether or not they will start sticking to everything during shipping and self destruct! xD

Whichever could be easier, be it through ludoo or from Bruma. Would be interested in 1 pair as well.

Oct 5, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #20,545 of 27,156
Got tired of trying to make the Grundig 211-A setup work out, so off they go to live in the project bin, I think I need to line the rears with adhesive felt rather than the creatology thin foam, not going to bother. It could be because they are shaped like a radar dish inside. Too difficult to tame those cups. Simply made me too irritated so this is what I whipped up tonight while listening to the recently modded Superlux 662F ( wow ).

Headset and wiring from an AT-701 , Alder cups cut out the other night, the old SFI drivers from the Grundig. I love working with this wood it's so light, strong,  easy to work, holds a finish well just overall great.
I somehow managed to make them work absolutely stunningly with the damping scheme right off the bat, somehow. Had it in my mind about the Wikiphonia T-10 damping posted, so I sort of borrowed an idea from that, the stuff directly against the back of the driver, in this case it is Arctic Cotton ( essentially a fuzzier felt ) not Arctic Bamboo which is a little thinner. Secured by a ring of double sided tape to keep it in place during the driver seating.
 Rears of the cups have a disc of soft adhesive backed felt~ 5/16 thick, a few spacers on the ridge inside to seat the driver on, doesn't need to be perfect ( as seen in pics ), and in the middle 0.2 grams  per side of some fibreglassy-type acoustic filler[ Twaron Angel Hair ]. ( great depth to the sound due to that )
The gaping holes in the sides of the cups where the wiring enters and the SFI tabs seat into is all sealed off and filled up with Newplast plasticine so they aren't a problem now either.
Used the stock cable shortened by half and the stock grommets also at the top of the cup wire entry points. Strain relief is recessed and siliconed around at the main cable entry hole.
Bass ports are 5/32 . Any larger would be too much they rumble nicely now without being too overbearing.

These things are just soaking up the Watco natural oil so I am in the middle of waiting for them to absorb a few more coats, then i will secure the side cup mount points with some wood glue and done.

Don't know something must be wrong I never get it right off the bat.
confused_face.gif
I can deceive myself about that sure but when you know it's right you KNOW. Maybe my lucky night? Yep wiring worked nothing crossed, cups swivel, sounds amazing. Hmmm.

How many times must I find something better than before and rework another pair I previously modded ( this case older Alder ones I have kicking around that are of a similar small cup interior ). Once again.

That reminds me some of my earlier posts in here make me cringe thinking back but it's all a learning process.

Looks like a hack job but once everything is done inside the cups its nice and tidy:)
Not a fan of bending down tabs on these drivers at all so that's whY I make the spaces at the top there ( filled in after )

I'm gonna give these a walk up to the coffee shop tomorrow morning, they do stick out slightly but are pretty much the same heights as the original AT-701.

Yep I did screw up, needed to move the cup attachments back a 1/4 inch.  Could have been worse

EDIT MARCH 2014  should mention also this method is easy, keeps a smaller cavity in there, and doesn't require me to make extra baffles since the pads can be directly attached to the cups win win win especially when using SFI drivers

Oct 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #20,546 of 27,156
They are so beautiful in wood!
I'de like to show you my contrast programme, it is my first experiment with the SFI driver:

The front and back look the same, because it is a 2 in 1 solution with the 8 ohm tweeters.

The ear pads come from a Yamaha 50A, stuffed with new polyurethane foam.
PS: I cannot see the pictures after submitting the post???

Oct 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #20,549 of 27,156
ludoo, thank you for rescuing my pictures!
I did "copy and paste" them into the editor, because the upload button did not work.
These headphones are quite astonishing with a great sound, and are the reason that I was looking for the original dipoles.

Concerning the shipment: yes, I will do as you recommend, ludoo: a padded envelope and a couple cardboard sheets for protection. Should work for the longer trip to Canada too. I just have to wait, till they arrive and check the weight (there are additional plates mounted on them).

Oct 5, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #20,550 of 27,156
bruma what's that shell you are using?

Here's a couple more shots of the next work in progress, in it's rough stages.
Tore apart an older not so hot sounding set of cans for this driver transplant. Boy I'm getting ruthless now.

All parts are still in the rough stage, and this is gonna be a little different as far as construction to allow for larger circumaural pads.
Used to be a Koss TD/80. ( huge stock 55mm driver in them see here http://www.head-fi.org/t/202122/the-headphone-driver-pics-thread/240#post_8664958 )
Behind the badges on the inside they are riveted to keep the slider tension, I'll need to carefully tighten those again a bit, then deal with the cover there it creaks. Possible epoxy time. It had better work or this whole project might be substandard ( even more than it is now ha! )

Baffles from the TD/80 also, Alder veneer applied to baffle outside with LePage's Blue ( their strongest ) contact cement. I wanted to see the veneer on the outside so pads will be flush mounted, that way it's easier to make my own for these and not rely on the crappy thinly coated pleather things I have a bunch of, foam stuffing in those sometimes leaves a lot to be desired.
Side badges will be replaced by veneer also I'll just use those ear-hole bits that were cut out.
Hopefully this damping scheme works again in these, it should they are the exact same inner cups.
Not sure how to attach the cups to the baffles I could contact cement them but that means if anything fails at all ever then they would need to be destroyed to get inside again, maybe 4 screws right around the driver and a black gasket of some kind, or screws and some black carpet tape as a gasket. Not sure what i did with the sheet of black rubber I had.

Anyhow I'll post up finished shots also. These are most likely going to be a portable pair for a gift, depending on how they look all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back