Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #20,566 of 27,167
Hi,
I have just bought  a pair of t50rps with the new pads.
I am finding all the mod threads a bit overwhelming and I was wondering if anyone could point me to the simplest mods to improve the sound.
also if there are any australians around on this thread that could point me in the direction of something i could use for damping material. there are lots of things mentioned on other threads but I dont think they are avaliable over here.
Thanks

Oct 10, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #20,567 of 27,167
Quote:
Hi,
I am finding all the mod threads a bit overwhelming and I was wondering if anyone could point me to the simplest mods to improve the sound.
also if there are any australians around on this thread that could point me in the direction of something i could use for damping material. there are lots of things mentioned on other threads but I dont think they are avaliable over here.
Thanks

Which pads did you get in the end?
The simplest is to put some cotton inside the cup. Don't over-stuff them though. The amount should be controlled by ear to match your preference.

Oct 10, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #20,569 of 27,167
Quote:
Hi,
Thanks

You could try this.

Take a look at Picture D and Graph #10 and compare to Graph #11, Picture A, and Graph #1. That's about as simple as it gets. I think better sound is possible with a few more steps. All are reversible.  

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #20,570 of 27,167
continued:

I put more damping in the phones:

used a dense and stiff woolen felt (a shoe insole) to form a ring that closes the volume behind the driver.
the mid bass is "dried out" as I hoped and they are really good enough for my daily commuting with the train.
my thanks go to ludoo for the detailed description, what makes them sound good in the sony enclosure. This helped me understand the necessary steps in this one.

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #20,571 of 27,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Somebody else has to have something on the go, updates etc.

I never really succeeded to get the TDS5M to sound as I wanted it to, it's like a YH1 without the stunning holographic SS and with the loudness button enabled(we gotz bass!) on your amp 
confused_face.gif

I think the increased clamping compared to the yamies doesn't help either, mostly increasing the bass and shrinking the SS.

Also, the COBY earpads with the yamie foam donuts do sound great on the YH1 to my ears 
happy_face1.gif

And last but not least, I've whined to a pro who makes earpads for a living and he's agreed to make lambskin+high grade memory foam earpads for the yamie, it's gonna be good
e-te.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #20,572 of 27,167
Quote:

I never really succeeded to get the TDS5M to sound as I wanted it to, it's like a YH1 without the stunning holographic SS and with the loudness button enabled(we gotz bass!) on your amp 
confused_face.gif

Any idea how the regular version compares ( the non-"M" ) Hopefully you've tried it also?

And last but not least, I've whined to a pro who makes earpads for a living and he's agreed to make lambskin+high grade memory foam earpads for the yamie, it's gonna be good
e-te.gif

You getting them done to the stock specifications or the Coby specs?

Keep us posted with pics.

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #20,573 of 27,167
Nope, I didn't try the vanilla TDS5 but these are just knock-offs IMO...you don't gain the expertise of Yamie's R&D overnight duh.

There'll be prototypes and I've gotten him to buy a used YH1 so he'll be doing his homework. All I know is that his memory foam is dead comfy and he's got a long list of back-ordering customers to please, because the yamies currently don't have any good sounding PNP replacement earpads AFAIK 
happy_face1.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #20,574 of 27,167
Quote:
Nope, I didn't try the vanilla TDS5 but these are just knock-offs IMO...you don't gain the expertise of Yamie's R&D overnight duh.

There'll be prototypes and I've gotten him to buy a used YH1 so he'll be doing his homework. All I know is that his memory foam is dead comfy and he's got a long list of back-ordering customers to please, because the yamies currently don't have any good sounding PNP replacement earpads AFAIK 
happy_face1.gif

I would like to share an idea from my DIY Pads: I like 2 layer of foam best, where on the side of the phone is a polyurethane layer and to the ear you have the memory foam. It is a perfect mixture both in comfort and soundwise.

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #20,575 of 27,167
Found some NOS YH-1000s in the damnedest place, a guy cleaning out an abandoned storage locker. They're tested and seem to work properly. The guy isn't a head-fi person at all and he couldn't comment on the sound quality, just that both sides produce sound (re. "I guess they sound pretty good").

What's a good price on these now? I don't want them to slip away. Quick responses appreciated, mucho thanks!

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #20,576 of 27,167
Modded some Electronika TDS-5m recently. The sound is good with a little roll off in bass (maybe just my perception of sound), but surprisingly well responds to a good hardware EQ. Mids are wonderful just like most orthos have, highs are laid back but not recessed with a little hint of sparkle. Now that I'm going to portable music probably these headphones won't receive any head time. Thinking of selling it. Any suggestions?

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #20,577 of 27,167
Quote:
Found some NOS YH-1000s in the damnedest place, a guy cleaning out an abandoned storage locker. They're tested and seem to work properly. The guy isn't a head-fi person at all and he couldn't comment on the sound quality, just that both sides produce sound (re. "I guess they sound pretty good").
What's a good price on these now? I don't want them to slip away. Quick responses appreciated, mucho thanks!

If they are NOS and produce sound on both sides then anything $1k and below is fine. If he doesnt seem to care about price or old school cans offer him something basic, or to trade him some Dre Beats lol.
Seems like you found the ortho score of a lifetime.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM Post #20,578 of 27,167
I offered him $500 and he took it. Thanks. :)

He also offered me some Beats Studios, claiming the Beats sound "much better with more bass". I just said, "Errr, no thanks, that's okay."

Oct 14, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #20,579 of 27,167
Quote:
I offered him $500 and he took it. Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

He also offered me some Beats Studios, claiming the Beats sound "much better with more bass". I just said, "Errr, no thanks, that's okay."

Got any photos ?:)
And was there a manual in there by chance?

Oct 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #20,580 of 27,167
Nice score on the YH-1000. If anyone is interested in a good beginner vintage ortho, I just posted an Audio Technica ATH-2 on that auction site. I played around with it a little like Wualta described, but found out that I'm not too much into DIY, and just bought a Hifiman HE-500 instead. It sounds good as is though, and I did add some damping material, and sealed it with blu-tak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back