Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 15, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #20,583 of 27,168
Don't have pics, sorry.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #20,584 of 27,168
hi, last week I got a pair of t50rps which I have done some mods to. mods done on the cans include:
-cotton wool for damping in cavity behind drivers.
-tape over vents on the back of the phone with a small hole
-tape over the bass port on the ear side with a needle hole.
-plasicine on the underside of the baffle and around the drivers.
-FA 003 pads

I am hearing a dominant frequency somewhere in the 1-8 khz range I believe and it is dominant over other frequencies when listening to tracks with lots of highs and high mids such as acoustic guitars.

I was wondering if anyone here would have an idea which mod is causing this or a  mod I could do to fix it.

Thanks

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #20,585 of 27,168
hi,
I have an update on my Yamaha HP 1 activities:
with the original yellow foam disc behind the driver I heard a kind of a box resonance and wanted to get rid of it. someone in the forum recommended the Acoustipack lite for this task. this is what it looks like:

I was not pleased with the result, it lost soundstage and was kind of dull. then I tried different combinations and came up with a ring of the original foam and the center with acoustipack. here you see the ring before I cut out the counterpiece of the acoustipack ring:

result: clearer hights, less distortion over all, good soundstage, very open and dynamic sound

Oct 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #20,586 of 27,168
Some ortho CSD plots. Posted in the CSD thread but copied here for convenience.

Data is raw, so the frequency response is more suggestive than accurate.

KWH HOK 80-1 (modded)

This mod was a simple one: remove the back disc and add some light cotton into the cups (if I remember right). But basically have minimal damping and an open back. I'll measure the closed-back version at some point.

Yamaha HP-50S (unmodded)

(My software didn't spot the long ridge for some reason and so it's not annotated on the graph, but it's more or less in the same place as the smaller ridge in the modded version below.)

Yamaha HP-50S (modded)

I think three layers of nylon in the cup. Overdamping a bit, but no worries. Going to try with two layers instead some day. The 11 kHz area is pushed up compared to stock, and looking at my measurement log, I think that's partly due to having removed the white paper disc.

Yamaha HP-50S (EQ mod)

Bass hump dampened out via EQ alone by matching the response of the physical mod from above on stock foam disc and adjusting the extremities (3 and 11 kHz) a bit to not hurt the ear so. It's interesting that this EQ mod brings up the 2 kHz ridge that's just barely visible as a faint trace in the normally-modded graph.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #20,587 of 27,168
Hi all,

speaking about damping, well here's mine...yes, its Yammy HP1...
got it for affordable price from germany auction several weeks ago...

the driver...
img5083g.jpg
img5084n.jpg

Serial Number...
img5085c.jpg

damping material..O disc from yellow glasswool, mini disc rockwool..
copy schemes from HP1000 theha...i use transpore with several holes before, but deicide to remove em after..
secure the driver to baffle using dynamat..i dont use the factory/stock material dampener...
img5087v.jpg

the damping...and using sealer all over inside the cup...and, i remove the factory black felt layer that covering vent as well...
img5088s.jpg

refurbish the velvet inner headband..using lamb skin thin sheets...
img5093.jpg

img5094z.jpg

img5095i.jpg

and the HP-1 modded picts with the owner...yes, i purchase this for my son..
so he would smiling again, after his DIYortho 32ohm broken 1 channel/driver several months ago...:frowning2:
img5092yw.jpg

Oct 16, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #20,590 of 27,168
Quote:

I am hearing a dominant frequency somewhere in the 1-8 khz range I believe and it is dominant over other frequencies when listening to tracks with lots of highs and high mids such as acoustic guitars.
I was wondering if anyone here would have an idea which mod is causing this or a  mod I could do to fix it.

1kHz to 8kHz is three octaves. You might want to try to nail it down a little closer than that when you take the problem over to one of the T50RP threads. I suspect you've sealed the headphone up a little too tight plus got some treble frequencies bouncing around inside the cup and coming out through the diaphragm, but the guys who wrestle with these problems every day would know better than I. Maybe someone in this thread will have better suggestions.

Vid, I believe you'll have those HOK 80s sounding like LCD-2s some day. Never give up, never surrender.

IQED, Best Dad Ever.

Oct 17, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #20,592 of 27,168
IQED, Best Dad Ever.

just tryin to do my best..thx, Walt...still far away from you though, as the Father of (our) Ortho club..
without you creating this great thread, maybe i & my son would still listening music with my vintage AKG's K400 all day... :wink:

Oct 17, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #20,594 of 27,168
Quote:
maybe i & my son would still listening music with my vintage AKG's K400 all day...
wink.gif

As I recall, that's the ancestor of my K501 and that's a worthy headphone. Either way, you've given your son a way to take high-quality sound reproduction with him, something speakers can't easily do.

Quote:
Who stands in the abyss then, making those?

I'm just afraid they spent way too much time and money on that wooden fretwork and that the sound will be abysmal as a result.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #20,595 of 27,168
@ wualta:
well yes, it's not that i meant K400 were an unworthy cans...
it's comfy and deliver great open sound with great speed, without any mod added..
a descent cans for the price, i must say..

without knowing about Ortho&all planar cans type from you&HF, maybe K400 are my last cans that i would keep for lifetime...
but after that, even the lowest tier Ortho beat K400 on many aspect...not to mention, in transparancy terms...
i remember when using this as my avatar several years ago on HF...

even those K400 album still available on my profile here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back