Orthodynamic Roundup
Oct 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #20,611 of 27,185
Quote:

got to listen to them at RMAF , a small part of me wishes I really didn't like what I was hearing. These are really ultrathin, undamped and unipolar

They have a forge casting the cups for them , magnets are custom made , and membrane is made in house  - they bought all the tooling and ploughed through a ton of protos before coming up with what was presented at RMAF. If they did not carry the price tag that they have, I think that there would be a lot more excitement about the potential technical specs of these drivers. I know that there have not been rave reviews and opinions have varied some as to the ability of the drivers.

My personal take on them is that they have a lot to offer and JPS may just achieve what they set out to do - produce the most technically proficient planar magnetic, by the end of it.

..dB

EDIT:

price was anticipated to be $5K - this is for a "package"  : custom stand, cable and box along with headphone and several backing options for tuning.

So on the one hand the engineer in me can understand where the costs come from... but then there's the hungry penny-piching consumer in me who stills goes "owch!"

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #20,612 of 27,185
Of course not. I was just saying you'd be a kickass Audio Dad either way, with or without all my rantings about orthos. And I should have thanked you for your kind words.

After all, what better way to prepare the next generation than to make them intolerant of bad (not to say fraudulent or cynical) sound reproduction? and why stop there? 

oh no..no, the honour is mine..thx for all of this, Walt..
i agreed with you for sure..OK, enough about me..
sorry to hijack the thread already, lets continue the discussion about ortho..
shall we?

hmm, 150ohm on ATH-M2..is it still using sawafuji's driver or not?

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #20,613 of 27,185
Quote:

got to listen to them at RMAF , a small part of me wishes I really didn't like what I was hearing. These are really ultrathin, undamped and unipolar

They have a forge casting the cups for them , magnets are custom made , and membrane is made in house  - they bought all the tooling and ploughed through a ton of protos before coming up with what was presented at RMAF. If they did not carry the price tag that they have, I think that there would be a lot more excitement about the potential technical specs of these drivers. I know that there have not been rave reviews and opinions have varied some as to the ability of the drivers.

My personal take on them is that they have a lot to offer and JPS may just achieve what they set out to do - produce the most technically proficient planar magnetic, by the end of it.

..dB

EDIT:

price was anticipated to be $5K - this is for a "package"  : custom stand, cable and box along with headphone and several backing options for tuning.

If they are good, then it is even worse that they are priced so high 
angry_face.gif

But, I wonder, having done all that (custom cast cups, etc), why put that grille on them? It looks like a reflex dot in the middle, just like the first batch of LCD2 had.

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #20,614 of 27,185
Quote:
Vid, I believe you'll have those HOK 80s sounding like LCD-2s some day. Never give up, never surrender.

I suspect it could already be done to some degree - at least to an ear, if not my own. I tried something similar in this post; the HOK was turned into an HP-50S (the noise issues in the graph have since been solved). If I were to buy a pair of LCD-2, measure them and convolve with the HOK, two identical graphs (= identical sound arriving to the microphone) would most likely emerge.

But all that is to an ear, not my ear. Sob.

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #20,615 of 27,185
Oct 20, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #20,616 of 27,185
A single piece large (and presumably slotted or perforated) rare earth magnet... that gets pricey. Maybe not $5k, but it's something... 

Oct 20, 2012 at 2:50 AM Post #20,618 of 27,185
Good lord! I am actually ashamed customs let something that ugly into my country. Can hardly wait to see the Incredible Hulk model!

For that price you could pick up the infamous and ever so slightly less hideous Stax Sigma's and experience a soundstage that has never been equaled.

Oct 20, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #20,619 of 27,185
my new project with the 32 ohm SFI's:

following ludoos advice I bought the small sony cans (MDR ZX300) as a housing for them. these need a new baffle for the transplant and I took a piece of plywood.

The original baffle contains one part of the hinge and therefore this two parts need to be cut off and glued to the new baffle.

the cups get lined with acoustipack lite (and stuffed with kapok)

the bass port from inside - with the felt glued in place

and from the outside

at the end the headband got a foam cushion with a leather cover

this method "sqeezes the bass out of the sfi" and has overall a very dynamic sound.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM Post #20,620 of 27,185
my new project with the 32 ohm SFI's:

Nice job! I did not glue anything to my baffles, the screws are enough to keep them pressed against the cups, and the seal is better. And I then had to cut the edges away from the pads, and use two-sided adhesive tape to glue them against the baffles, since they could not slide anymore over them.

Thanks a lot for sending the drivers, the SFI hybrids are really fantastic cans, it's nice to know I have spares in case something happens to them.

Oct 20, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #20,621 of 27,185
A picture is worth a thousand words: pads / double sided tape (can't see it ofc) / plexiglass baffle / cups. Some black silicone is used to completely seal any possible remaining space between cup and baffle.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #20,622 of 27,185
Nick-- thanks for that link. Interesting that they seem to be having bass problems with their 5 kilobuck headphone, because that's precisely where a single-ended design of a smallish size has a weak spot. It will be very interesting to see how that problem works itself out.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #20,623 of 27,185
Quote:

Thanks for the details of your work and the pictures. Good to know, that the hinge would not need the counterpart from the baffle - makes it easier the next time. I used the edges of the original pads as "sealant" that stays between the baffle and the cup.
An interesting finding was, that the "closed" sony version needs more damping behind the driver than the half open version that I showed before. As a reference I try to come as close as possible to the sound signature of the yamaha hp 1 (and the hp 1 is tuned to come as close as possible to the beyerdynamic et1000).

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #20,624 of 27,185
Quote:
Nick-- thanks for that link. Interesting that they seem to be having bass problems with their 5 kilobuck headphone, because that's precisely where a single-ended design of a smallish size has a weak spot. It will be very interesting to see how that problem works itself out.

definitely going to be interesting, if they damp it up on the rears then how bad will that affect their spaciousness ( the magnets are on the earside on this one aren't they? ) , and also depending upon the driver build itself as to how much throw it has, but then that gets into spacer limitations depending upon magnet strength and splitting hairs at that point.
Also wonder why they chose that particular shape of the magnet holes. ( would a  T-10 approach have been better? ) I don't know what they've tried over the years though, must have something to do with concentrating the field like they mentioned.

Just thinking out loud and wondering how all that is going to come into play. It's not gonna be easy I wouldn't think.

Oct 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #20,625 of 27,185
Good point about the T-10 design. Yes, the magnets are on the ear side. When the retail price is that high, expectations go up with it. 

They seem to be trying for a diaphragm so thin and light and it won't need much if any damping. I wish them luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back