Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #20,221 of 27,141
Jul 16, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #20,222 of 27,141
Jul 17, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #20,224 of 27,141
Hi Guys, 

Still enjoying my HP 1s

Just have a question. 

I have added 2 layers of felt behind the drivers for damping and afterwards noticed a reduction in bass compared to before. I have also added blue tack around the edges of the driver and the pads have been glued and then restuck with double sided tape after finding the glue too strong. 

my question was whether the layers of glue and tape or the blue tack would affect the bass or whether it is a result of the damping

thanks

Jul 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #20,226 of 27,141
Yes I'd agree.  Unless you put so much bluetak in there that you reduced the enclosure volume significantly, which could reduce bass.  Lots'a felt on the driver will do it too though the quality also increases usually. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #20,227 of 27,141
So I went ahead and removed the paper-disc in front of the driver (Yamaha HP-50a). Helped elevating the treble and upper mids... violins shine a bit more but some instruments seem a bit shouty... slight loss of bass quantity. Put the paper back in place, I tend to like darker presentations.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #20,228 of 27,141
ferrytrainhp1,

https://picasaweb.google.com/teamo65/HP1Recable?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Here's a picasa album of my first attempt for your comparison.  They were over-damped (over-dampened?), no matter, too much dampening material.  I removed one layer of felt and the manilla paper, leaving just the one layer of common craft felt.  I removed some of the rope caulk surrounding the driver, but left the bottom layer in to close the cup vents.  I added an 1/8" dia. 'string' of caulk around the inside perimeter of the baffle to improve seal and dampen the interface between the baffle and the driver.  That last step was the key to getting good bass out of them.  Well that and buying a Schiit Lyr for 'em.  Having that much current in reserve really helps Timpanies and kick-drums hit with authority.  Good luck.

Jul 20, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #20,229 of 27,141
IME deep bass on the yamies is all about earpads sealing, and installing them as you did on that picasa link never did the job for me....I'm expecting some COBY CV185 earpads, apparently they sound gooood 
happy_face1.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #20,232 of 27,141
Quote:
IME deep bass on the yamies is all about earpads sealing, and installing them as you did on that picasa link never did the job for me....I'm expecting some COBY CV185 earpads, apparently they sound gooood 
happy_face1.gif

The double sided tape on mine doesn't even stick anymore, the pads keep falling off until on my head. Still getting deep bass.

Jul 21, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #20,233 of 27,141
Quote:
The double sided tape on mine doesn't even stick anymore, the pads keep falling off until on my head. Still getting deep bass.

And you can hear the bass line of "Nick Cave - Red Right Hand.flac"(my fav test tune for deep bass response) loud and clear? definitely not my experience...this said, I've got a large head(I pretty much max out the headband of those yamies) and dumbo'esque ears as well, so I guess this could temper w/ my own results.

Jul 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #20,234 of 27,141
I have ordered some new pads for my HP 1s off amazon , these were mentioned by someone earlier in the thread. 
at the moment there is three layers of adhesive under the pads, the original stuff, glue that I found was too strong and double sided tape. I was thinking that I could remove all three layers and start again. Does anyone know of a method of removing the adhesive easily without damaging the headphones?

Thanks for all the help you guys have already given me. when I get the new pads on I will post a photo of the headphones for everyone to see.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #20,235 of 27,141
quick edit
I just got some Shure 550 pads today . I am acting as a middleman for a fellow orthonaut to send them overseas, but got his permission to open them up simply to take some measurements and assess their overall quality. Well I have to add modding goodies to the box too of course.
 I have to say they are really nice, they worked out to ~$10 Canadian a pair plus the usual taxes etc. Got them from Headphoneshop here in Canadaland. ( 2016 edit AVShop.ca also carries these )

Now the important parts.
They feel very soft, very close to the stock T50Rp pads, both in squeezability and surfaces ( don't squeeze the Charmin ! Did I just date myself there or what )
MEASUREMENTS
Width across = 90mm /    3 1/2 in
Height = 14-15mm /      1/2 in
and maybe the most important part, and hardest to find is the smaller round center opening 33mm /  1 5/8 in ( I think this is crucial anyhow )
Here's the glamour shots.

Is it sad that I get excited over things like this, and when I get different foams included as packing materials" oooh the porosity on this foam sheet is perfect I needed this just in case, I better put it in the special foam bag". I hope it's not just me. I'm betting it might be.

Quote:
any news from EK400 experiment, nick n?

not yet tried to get inside the Philips again. As soon as i do I will post it up, but it might not be a pretty sight :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back