Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #16,966 of 27,137
I have a xb700 and the pads are very confy. Compare to my moded t50rp the sound is a joke so I might think about taking the pads from the xb to the t50rp.
But I don't see how it would fit and not sure that the extra volume inside the pad is helpful.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #16,967 of 27,137
Have the pads a bigger or a smaller outer diameter?

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #16,968 of 27,137
I don't have a T50RP with me, mine's packed away.  If I remember correctly, the T50RP's pads are ovals.  The Sony pads are circles.

I did just match the pads up to my T20v2 and the outer diameter is close to the same.  The inner diameter is bigger.  My ears just fit inside the XB500's pads.  I assume the XB700's pads are bigger.  My plan for attaching them is to use carpet tape.  I think taping them is the only way you can attach them to any other headphone since I read that the metal ring that is used to attach them to the baffles are an integral part of the pads.  I haven't taken mine apart yet to be sure.

I have some XB700 pads heading my way.  If they are bigger, they may be too big for the T30.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #16,969 of 27,137
I know I pop in every couple of years and say this, but DANG, this thread is still goin'?  Golf clap, gentlemen.  Golf clap.

Dug my ol' Fostex out for the first time in a while and gave them a listen last night.  After spending all week auditioning 'good' portables in my closed-can-for-office search, I realize anew how good the Fostexen sound.  Any new discoveries/developments in T40 land?  I never got around to cramming that paper
'chamois' in there like you mentioned a few years back because I was literally broke.

Apr 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #16,970 of 27,137
Scompton, if the Sony XB500/XB700 pads are like the knockoff ueber-plasticy pair I bought at Ross's for $10, the ring is only seated between the fabric screen and the underside of the pads. Admittedly, that is an unlikely scenario.

And, if you remember that ATH-2 you sold me a while back, that's what I have the pads on. I removed the baffle and seated the driver with sticky tack inside the cup, and then the inside diameter of the pads (with the ring removed) was perfect for the baffle-less cups. I never finished soldering a plug on, so I have no idea how it works for sound.

Apr 26, 2011 at 6:53 PM Post #16,971 of 27,137

Quote:
Scompton, if the Sony XB500/XB700 pads are like the knockoff ueber-plasticy pair I bought at Ross's for $10, the ring is only seated between the fabric screen and the underside of the pads. Admittedly, that is an unlikely scenario.

And, if you remember that ATH-2 you sold me a while back, that's what I have the pads on. I removed the baffle and seated the driver with sticky tack inside the cup, and then the inside diameter of the pads (with the ring removed) was perfect for the baffle-less cups. I never finished soldering a plug on, so I have no idea how it works for sound.

ATH-2?  Did anyone ever figure out how to make that thing sound good?  Sorry, haven't been around.  I have one that lives in a box currently.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #16,972 of 27,137
At least one person cut out the baffle.  I can't remember if they sounded good after that or not.

The XB500 pads aren't plasticy feeling at all.  They're very soft and pliable.  I seem to remember reading that the ring doesn't come off the Sony pads, but I'm not doing anything with them until the weekend so I don't know.  Five minutes of listening to them was more than enough.  They sound horrible.

Apr 27, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #16,973 of 27,137
lol, conventional dynamics with boom boom sound(Sony "tyre") are simply unbearable. I never though my Modded T50RP and T40 V1 can be that good. And don't get frustrated when modding them. These are some really good headphones with no grains and silky smooth highs after proper modification. 

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #16,974 of 27,137

Quote:
The XB500 pads aren't plasticy feeling at all. Five minutes of listening to them was more than enough.  They sound horrible.

Not surprising. As they have a bigger inner diameter, I guess they would need a total reconstruction of the inner damping routines.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #16,978 of 27,137
Yeah, let's see a photo. The only plausible reasons I can think of are the ones Sambones has already flung, or variations thereof. Of course, maybe they ran out of Type 1 magnets and just got in a shipment of Type 1As.

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #16,979 of 27,137

Quote:
With a "complete seal" I mean only covering the magnet holes of course. Principally, I have the suspicion that interchanging our damping schemes isn't very useful, as we use different pads.

I would rather make love to Chuck Norris than going back to stock pads...
tongue.gif

OK, i'm not going to use the stock pads either..so we both are similar, even choose different pathway...
at least we know for sure that NAD still good for their price&performance right ?
no matter the mylar one or the kapton one, they both still very nice choice...
even when we prefer differently version, it's still known as NAD RP-18, right ?
so no need to argue anymore about which one are better since ppl hear differently..
beerchug.gif

Quote:
^I had similar experience to iQEM with my pair, micro/transpore = too much treble & exaggerated upper mid leading to sibilance.
That's why I prefer felt.
You may also like to try 'differential damping' approach, it helps in retaining good bass even with W11 pads.

yes, i'm with gurubhai here...i have bad experience using transpore on T20v2 before and found the same thing on NAD as well..
so i prefer felt and any other material like wet tissue, foss silicon sealer & dynamat to balance the dark beast NAD...
wink.gif

Quote:
I wonder why Akai used completely different magnets on the front and back side of their ASE40 orthodynamic. Ideas, anyone?

Quote:
Are there pictures of that?  Sounds interesting, but I couldn't find anything via google or wiki.
Quote:
Yeah, let's see a photo. The only plausible reasons I can think of are the ones Sambones has already flung, or variations thereof. Of course, maybe they ran out of Type 1 magnets and just got in a shipment of Type 1As.

aha, i think this is the right time discuss about this one...is it identical or not, with Victor HP D-50 that i posted before ?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/16455#post_7284905

more info:
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Victor_HP-D50
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Akai_ASE-40-J
DAC, maybe ? or ericj ?
popcorn.gif

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #16,980 of 27,137

Quote:
at least we know for sure that NAD still good for their price&performance right ?
no matter the mylar one or the kapton one, they both still very nice choice...
even when we prefer differently version, it's still known as NAD RP-18, right ?

smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back