Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 23, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #16,937 of 27,156

Quote:
Damping Scheme
p4140180resize.jpg

pads Koss MV1
p4200184resize.jpg

Ah, I see, you're going the felt path. I think I will give that a try in medium terms, my Micro- and Transpore damping is rather a snapshot than final stage.

Those Koss pads are very peculiar... 
blink.gif
  As we're already at it, I've always asked myself if those super-comfy Sony XB500 monster pads were utilizable...

Apr 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #16,939 of 27,156

Quote:
How many of you missed a few heartbeats and then proceeded to let out some sort of noise resembling "aaarggghhaaahhmmppffff"  over this 10 dollar buy it now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-SS100-Stereo-Headphones-brochure-/260770065118?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cb71b6ade

You'd pay $10 for a brochure?  I have lots of brochures if your interested!

Apr 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #16,940 of 27,156
Not even that. It's an advert sliced out of a magazine. These guys buy up magazines from yard sales for a couple bucks a boxful, cut all the full-page ads out and sell them for $7-20 a pop. the more enterprisingly loathesome ones save their money by cutting the ads out of magazines in the library.

I've got some words for people who do this but the forum software would censor it.

Apr 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #16,941 of 27,156

Quote:
But the T20v2 was made before any of the square driver Fostex.  I guess a square housing makes a little more sense (at least aesthetically) for a square driver, but I still would think that having corners like that in a housing can't be a good idea. 

Yeah, I agree.  It must have been a 1960's era designer's idea of cool design aesthetic.  

Apr 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #16,942 of 27,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As RD had uttered some...disappointment...about having 2 Mylars, we agreed to make a swap, and I guess that is a win-win for both of us.

So Im a part of the RP18 Mylar fraction now.

Certainly not disappointed, more just surprised by the fact that I wound up with 2 of the more rare version.  The chances of that happening must be pretty slim.  But I do hope it wound up the best for you and you're welcome to change your mind down the road...

Quote:
You'd pay $10 for a brochure?  I have lots of brochures if your interested!

No, but I didn't realize it was just the brochure at first.  I saw the model name, the picture, and the price and went yiiiippppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! 

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #16,943 of 27,156
Does anyone know the approx thickness of the Wharfedale Isodynamic's magnets?

Also if one was to replace the Wharfedale magnets, im assuming the directionality of the magnet is important, it seems all flexible sheet magnets are just the same in directionality?

Apr 24, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #16,944 of 27,156

Hi all
Today I did some mod to the fostex T40v1. I found some important things during my mod.

The air volume at the back of the driver players an important rule. Especially for the bass response. Right now my T40V1 would not make you think it is bass-shy. It has some real good bass depth. And the increased bass dramatically improved the warmness of the sound signature. 

I tuned the bass response by drilling a small hole at the top of the earcup. I will attach picture later on how I drill the hold and how does it work to tune the bass. 
In side the earcup, there is nothing. I only cut a small cylinder of small open cell foam (quite firm and dense open cell foam). The outer diameter of the cylinder barely fit in the back of the driver. 
Here is my theory, the backcup and the small vent are a resonating system. The resonance is around 50-60HZ I guess. 

If I recall correctly, some member in this thread mentioned he had channel volume difference of his T40. I admit I realized that problem too. But for me, the two drivers are identical once the frequency goes over 500HZ. It is really the low-end that makes me feel the channel are not balanced(one being louder than another.). But after this mod, I also notice in the place where the left plug attaches the earcup, there is a very small hole that allows the air to leak out. That small hole contributed to the low-end difference of the two drivers. after I blocked the leakage with some putty, I ensure that my two drivers have the same back volume and vent size. Right now everything sounds correctly positioned. 

I am really happy today because I love the highs of T40 very much and I successfully bring up the lows tonight. 

EDIT: I may add some cotton in the cup to make the mids less lush and the bass less boomy. I'd never though I need to make the T40 V1 less boomy.
basshead.gif

EDIT2: I added a little more damping, but using a slightly longer cylinder foam. Now I feel very happy with the sound. Audioable at 16HZ....rolled off but vibration is there.  effortless all over the spectrum and well balanced. Best closed can ever.period.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #16,945 of 27,156
I guess you should specify the exact diameter of that hole, otherwize others might end up in mummy's cupboard or in a norwegian fjord when the try to reproduce that
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #16,946 of 27,156
I guess you should specify the exact diameter of that hole, otherwize others might end up in mummy's cupboard or in a norwegian fjord when the try to reproduce that
biggrin.gif

Thank you for reminding me. I would say the hole is about 2 mm in diameter. I actually used a hand drill that I got from amazon.

But you can always start with a small hole and keep making it bigger I guess, coz you cant make a larger hole smaller lol.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:12 AM Post #16,947 of 27,156
But if you have a t40 get it out and look at the place where I drilled the hole. I was wondering did the fostex engineers planed to open a hole there? Coz it looks to me like a hole that was intended but later was sealed in final production. Maybe fostex don't want people to fully reveal the potential of t40. You don't know what these engineers are thinking. Lol.

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #16,948 of 27,156
And the way I modded my t50rp are similar.
If you can recall what smeggy did, that is right, properly damped driver back loaded with an vented enclosure. The holes on thunderpants are quite small as well.

But I still wondered how the yamaha orthos get the good bass response without a low frequency resonating box. Probably the yamaha's digraph is vey loose so it has a lot more better bass reproduction?

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:27 AM Post #16,949 of 27,156
Just wanna state that I sincerely believe that the HE-4 is quite possibly the best sub $500 headphone....

Yes, I haven't heard them all, but HOLY SMOKES... :L3000:

Believe me when I say I'm very critical with my headphones... and these have moved me like no other headphone...

Apr 24, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #16,950 of 27,156

Quote:
But if you have a t40 get it out and look at the place where I drilled the hole. I was wondering did the fostex engineers planed to open a hole there? Coz it looks to me like a hole that was intended but later was sealed in final production. Maybe fostex don't want people to fully reveal the potential of t40. You don't know what these engineers are thinking. Lol.

The engineers were trying to create a headphone for people who were demanding a fully closed headphone for studio work.  They used the same housing, but sealed off as requested by prosumers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back