Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #16,906 of 27,161
 I looked at the link you posted. I was wondering if the small housing of those woodies would work. If you want to do some transplant, make sure you have enough enclosure volume and properly vented holes so that the low bottom can be increased by resonance. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #16,907 of 27,161

Quote:
3) They thought it looked cool

Quote:
I know! they wanted to simulate a little square room on your head so that the discernible reflections came from the front, the back, the top and the bottom like you would actually experience in a speaker setup. but... hmm, no. Thats all I got.

Don't underestimate the ability (or influence) or marketing departments (read: investor-kissers) of big companies to do things to perfectly good designs for just the reasons you guys mention, especially when the market is hot, as it was back in the '70s. After all, once upon a time, home audio was, aside from ham radio, the home electronics hobby, kind of the way computers are today. I find myself gazing wistfully at my ramshackle collection of rams and shackles and old amplifiers and speakers and reel-to-reel tape machines and recall the days when everyone wanted and/or owned such stuff, and manufacturers returned the love, cranking the stuff out by the ton. Interestingly, just now there's a nicely burgeoning thread here at HF all about using old TOTL receivers and amps as headphone amps. Who'da thunk it.

But never mind that now. Often we can't figure out why the heck certain things were done to a design, and sometimes marketing is to blame (Fostex may merely have wanted their headphones to look more like everyone else's), and sometimes it's engineering (the deeply folded surface of the T20v2 cup is stiffer, stronger and lighter than a simple dome shape). Then again, often it's just a matter of following the money... and here we'd have to ask a pro audio guy whether he finds the v1 or v2 T20 to be the better tool.

Has anyone tried holding the driver-baffle-earpad combo to his ears and having someone slowly bring the headband-cup assembly up to it until the cups and baffle are together again, just to see what effect the cup has on the sound?

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #16,908 of 27,161
Do you really think you would get real wood cups for $45?  None of the fakes are wood.  They are all plastic. 

Actually, I got two pairs of ESW10 clones to use as fosterphones for $25 each and they were made of wood. The wood was stringy and of hilariously bad quality though. If anyone expects good quality cups on fakes, they're a bit too optimistic. The frames were of decent quality though.

Apr 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #16,909 of 27,161
@ Iscabible:
this is the one that you talking about right ?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/14895#post_6761835

look nice 25 $ for a fake cans with woodie cup..
popcorn.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #16,910 of 27,161
So I just got a pair oh YH-3s in today. I didn't really do much research and was trolling for low prices on some vintage orthos to try out for fun.

I didn't really know what to expect sound-wise but I was pleasantly surprised. Bone stock, they're amazingly good for what I paid for them, far better than my T50RP MKIIs were dead stock. They're mostly flat, but with slight smile curve, bass is punchy and only rolls off below 40-50hz and treble is a bit grainy but goes past 18khz (assuming I not hearing some sort weird of 1/2 harmonic or something), and the mids are just the way I like them, fairly detailed and grain free.

They aren't entirely without sonic flaws though. First, the treble is either strangely peaky or I'm having to crank them to make up for the total lack isolation because they fatigue me rather quickly ATM.

Second is the the way the soundstage is presented. I'm not exactly sure what it is, or how to describe it, but without some sort of crossfeed they are very fatiguing. I never listen for very long without some sort of crossfeed because I find it begins to fatigue me eventually, but the YH-3 did something that no other headphones has ever done. It gave me a headache after one song. Fortunately a press of a button can fix that on my XM6, but I usually like try out something new without any crossfeed or EQ for a while to get a feel for it.

The XM6 has a fairly strong crossfeed and they're still a bit fatiguing which may still be the soundstage or the treble as I described above. I haven't tried the obvious experiment of mixing it all to mono yet since it won't be much fun.

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #16,911 of 27,161

Glad to hear the comparison between t50rp and yh-3 . I think a smile FR is more easier to tune than the T50RP's n shaped FR. Please write a review after you mod the YH-3
Quote:
So I just got a pair oh YH-3s in today. I didn't really do much research and was trolling for low prices on some vintage orthos to try out for fun.

I didn't really know what to expect sound-wise but I was pleasantly surprised. Bone stock, they're amazingly good for what I paid for them, far better than my T50RP MKIIs were dead stock. They're mostly flat, but with slight smile curve, bass is punchy and only rolls off below 40-50hz and treble is a bit grainy but goes past 18khz (assuming I not hearing some sort weird of 1/2 harmonic or something), and the mids are just the way I like them, fairly detailed and grain free.

They aren't entirely without sonic flaws though. First, the treble is either strangely peaky or I'm having to crank them to make up for the total lack isolation because they fatigue me rather quickly ATM.

Second is the the way the soundstage is presented. I'm not exactly sure what it is, or how to describe it, but without some sort of crossfeed they are very fatiguing. I never listen for very long without some sort of crossfeed because I find it begins to fatigue me eventually, but the YH-3 did something that no other headphones has ever done. It gave me a headache after one song. Fortunately a press of a button can fix that on my XM6, but I usually like try out something new without any crossfeed or EQ for a while to get a feel for it.

The XM6 has a fairly strong crossfeed and they're still a bit fatiguing which may still be the soundstage or the treble as I described above. I haven't tried the obvious experiment of mixing it all to mono yet since it won't be much fun.

Apr 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #16,912 of 27,161
It may be a while before I can get to that but I'll post my modding results here when I get around to it.

Apr 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #16,914 of 27,161
Really? That's pretty impressive. I'll have scan back and take a closer look at your mods

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #16,915 of 27,161
I just drilled some holes in the cup (this didn't really effect the FR that much, just opened them up a bit) and have nothing but some memory foam in the cups, and a bit of transpore on the front of the driver towards the back side for the upper mids.  It's not perfect, the mids are a bit further back in the mix then I would like but it's not too bad.

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #16,917 of 27,161
This is perhaps a bizzare question, but has anyone tried to use their ortho drivers as microphones?
(Is there any reason why it would not work?) (Unless someone knows for sure it is just not going to work, I'll try it myself.)

I just hooked my YH-3s to the line in on my XM6, put my XB700s on the hp out and got thumping sounds in the appropriated channel when I tapped the YH-3's cups so it works to some degree.

Apr 19, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #16,918 of 27,161

Quote:
@ Iscabible:
this is the one that you talking about right ?
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/14895#post_6761835

look nice 25 $ for a fake cans with woodie cup..
popcorn.gif

Yeah, that'd be them. They sounded atrocious though with stock drivers. They've now been converted into Smeggipucks, and I'm loving them!

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #16,919 of 27,161

Quote:
This is perhaps a bizzare question, but has anyone tried to use their ortho drivers as microphones?
(Is there any reason why it would not work?) (Unless someone knows for sure it is just not going to work, I'll try it myself.)

Audeze told me at a meet when they were showing off the LCD-1 that their driver would make an excellent microphone.  He said it would be a directional mic.  He sounded like they were going to make one...

Apr 20, 2011 at 1:43 AM Post #16,920 of 27,161
The Audeze guys are correct: a dipole driver such as the orthos we've been working with will make a working directional microphone. In fact, the pattern will be the same as that of the very first directional mics, ribbon mics: a figure-eight shape. Fostex used to make professional mics using the socalled Regular Phase principle. Here's a link to a site with lots of info on lots of mics, starting with a tech paper on Fostex's "Printed Ribbon" line: http://www.coutant.org/fostex/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back