Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 20, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #16,921 of 27,161

Quote:
Audeze told me at a meet when they were showing off the LCD-1 that their driver would make an excellent microphone.  He said it would be a directional mic.  He sounded like they were going to make one...

That settles it. I am going to try it out in the recording studio. The LCD-1 is a good test object, since the headset bends a bit, so I wouldn't have to take it apart. In fact, it could be useful in a duet to have two microphones in one :)

The ID1 is also good to try, since it is so very easy to take apart.

Apr 20, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #16,922 of 27,161

Quote:
Yeah, that'd be them. They sounded atrocious though with stock drivers. They've now been converted into Smeggipucks, and I'm loving them!

any picts the schemes inside ?
i thought they a lil bit inefficient as too much open holes at the bottom of the baffle..
in my experience even the 32's sound inefficient than T20v2, direct or amped...
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #16,923 of 27,161

Quote:
In fact, it could be useful in a duet to have two microphones in one :)

You probably already know that in the old days of radio and recording, two people could use one figure-8 mic very nicely, and room sound would be minimized by the tight pattern. Crossing two figure-8s at 90 degrees gives you the famous Blumlein stereo mic setup, very much fun to play with.

Now, if you leave damping material in place on an ortho driver, it turns into a cardioid instead of a figure-8. Still fun to play with. Let us know what kind of sound you get. Don't expect Neumann U87 ripeness.

Apr 20, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #16,924 of 27,161
You can get orthodynamic mics now, but Audeze has abandoned the mic pursuits...  Or at least shelved them for the indefinite future.  But their trials where on drums and they did a helluva great job according to the studio that did the trials. 

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #16,926 of 27,161
They've told us at a Sennheiser visit at Wedemark that Sennheiser's "invention" of the open dynamic HP in the late 60s based principally on two of their technicians playing with some of their better mics and using them vice versa, uhhh, doesn't sound bad, let's take a closer look onto that...

Apr 21, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #16,927 of 27,161

Quote:

You probably already know that in the old days of radio and recording, two people could use one figure-8 mic very nicely, and room sound would be minimized by the tight pattern. Crossing two figure-8s at 90 degrees gives you the famous Blumlein stereo mic setup, very much fun to play with.

Now, if you leave damping material in place on an ortho driver, it turns into a cardioid instead of a figure-8. Still fun to play with. Let us know what kind of sound you get. Don't expect Neumann U87 ripeness.

The YHD-2 has no damping at all, so perhaps I should try that as well :)

Apr 21, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #16,928 of 27,161

Quote:
The YHD-2 has no damping at all, so perhaps I should try that as well :)

You should, you should. Leave them on your head and try a quasi-binaural recording too.

Nickchen's comment reminds me that back before the day, when I didn't know my childhood buddy would go on to work for Bose, we took the Rochelle-salt piezo mics that came with our ultracheap little 3" reel-to-reel recorders (this predates the audio cassette) and plug them into the earphone jacks. Sounded terrible, but it worked. Later, I tried the mic that came with my first Philips cassette machine, and that sounded much better. Kids fooling around. If only we'd had better toys, like the kids at Sennheiser.

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #16,930 of 27,161
nice thanks!  Are you using the yellow shammy (I can't be bothered to try to spell that word) as well?  Or just the 2 small circles of different density felt in the middle, with nothing on the edges of the driver? 

Apr 21, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #16,931 of 27,161
The yellow is the stock biscuit.

How do the Koss pads sound compared to the stock pads?  The stock pads are pretty awful, so I'm assuming there was an improvement with even more bass, but how do they effect the mids through highs? 

Apr 21, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #16,932 of 27,161
nice thanks! Are you using the yellow shammy (I can't be bothered to try to spell that word) as well? Or just the 2 small circles of different density felt in the middle, with nothing on the edges of the driver?

yellow biscuit are the most favorite material other than rockwool or any other felt/foam, i use the stock biscuit in the centre of sandwich schemes..the white dense felt i think was the oz felt that came from ludoo, the black thin felt are from yammy..the (broken) white disc for the open area of the cup are 2 layer of soft care (wet) wipes that used to clean baby or dirt..

The yellow is the stock biscuit.

How do the Koss pads sound compared to the stock pads? The stock pads are pretty awful, so I'm assuming there was an improvement with even more bass, but how do they effect the mids through highs?

i like this MV1 pads, its add more comfy..i like how it look on my NAD&i can use it without being tired after using it for hours..i think i dont need another pads cos i like this pads better than the stock pads..
for the SQ wise, it's change a lil' bit of the bass presentation and add some depth but not add more quantity, now the bass are thinner but good quality with it..the high become more extend with this, so its sound more stats-alike than using stock flat thin pads..the staging are improve as well, maybe because of the "spacer" that made like a dome between inner holes (which is bigger diametre than the stock one) and angled ring on the outside edge of the pads..midrange became more thinner (not much but noticable) as the midbass more tight now..i would try to roll the schemes inside to stock factory damping (with just 2 layer of yellow mineral wool) and share the result later..
i hope this time i didn't confuse all of you guys with my bad english since english aren't my native language, not to mention i post this mobile with opera on my iphone 3G..strange, using Safari on iphone can't post any reply on head-fi at all..

edit:
i guess just a bandwidth problem cos this forum engine not too friendly with mobile browser..

anyway i had try to remove the middle circle felt&2 layer of tissues/wipes, the result the bass quantity coming back again and trade-off a lil' bit high extension..more efficiency than before but became more loose..
so i try to put back 2 layer of tissues disc, and found not much but impact are added but still loose on the overall sounding..i remove again the tissues and place the 2 felt of different density and found the bass still thick&got high extension as stats-alike but sound more natural, not harsh or heard metallic..OK, that's for now..

Apr 23, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #16,933 of 27,161
How many of you missed a few heartbeats and then proceeded to let out some sort of noise resembling "aaarggghhaaahhmmppffff"  over this 10 dollar buy it now?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sansui-SS100-Stereo-Headphones-brochure-/260770065118?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3cb71b6ade

Apr 23, 2011 at 6:57 AM Post #16,935 of 27,161
RP18 musings...

So I've had 1 Kaplon/bass heavy and 2 Mylars/bass light here for a while. Background was that I was to organize something for RD, which was...well, somewhat too successful, as RD had bought a pair from Kabeer just a few hours before I hit the buy now button at a german ebay auction.

When both are equipped with W11 pads, I originally preferred my bass heavy ones, the Mylars just sounded too bright, cold & K701ish, and I missed that roaring deep bass layer of the Kaplons completely. But after RD had agreed that I was allowed to remove the stock damping and try my own Micropore and Transpore routines, I was able to get rid of most of these Mylar issues. Consequently, I don't agree to the general consensus that the Mylar's damping is perfect already stock, at least with W11- and taped DT770 pads. With a matched reduced damping, the Mylar gets the similar bass layers as the Kaplons, and at least enough warmth for my liking, but they keep most of treble glitter the Kaplon won't display to the same extend. The Kaplon still rules the mids section IMO, the dryer Mylar will never have that mellow and involving beauty. I'd say the Mylar is more audiophile and more realistic sounding, but the Kaplon is more musical and exciting. I adore both.

I ended up preferring the redamped Mylar, mostly because of its better genre bandwidth. As RD had uttered some...disappointment...about having 2 Mylars, we agreed to make a swap, and I guess that is a win-win for both of us.

So Im a part of the RP18 Mylar fraction now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back