Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 12, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #16,876 of 27,158
Well, I won't say they are better than the TPs, but for a "closed" headphone other than TPs, I use my Denon C-710 canal phones with the Comply foam tips. They have the added advantage of being truly portable and light. Their sound signature out of my Sony A816 DAP is remarkably similar to my Fostex orthos though they are a hair slower, but not by much since they are such a small dynamic driver. Worst case they are $200, but you can usually find them for $130-$150. 

Got it!  I'll order my Koss pads today too. 

Thanks, but I guess I should have specified no IEMs either. I've already got a pair I love (Shure SE530) and I'm looking for something full sized. My house is too noisy for open 'phones and I'm not to keen on spending a boatload of money on a custom which I won't be able to hear before I buy and doesn't have any resale value if I don't like it.

Apr 12, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #16,877 of 27,158

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I won't say they are better than the TPs, but for a "closed" headphone other than TPs, I use my Denon C-710 canal phones with the Comply foam tips. They have the added advantage of being truly portable and light. Their sound signature out of my Sony A816 DAP is remarkably similar to my Fostex orthos though they are a hair slower, but not by much since they are such a small dynamic driver. Worst case they are $200, but you can usually find them for $130-$150. 

Got it!  I'll order my Koss pads today too. 

Thanks, but I guess I should have specified no IEMs either. I've already got a pair I love (Shure SE530) and I'm looking for something full sized. My house is too noisy for open 'phones and I'm not to keen on spending a boatload of money on a custom which I won't be able to hear before I buy and doesn't have any resale value if I don't like it.

Ok, but their more comfortable than Shures, at least IMO...

The MB Quart or now German Maestro closed cans are nice.  I had the Quart 905s which were demolition and construction site headphones and with a pad swap to J$ Denon or Stax O2 pads they were just killer.  I'm sure the G/Maestro closed cups would be as good or better.  They have bright highs though, not harsh, just need time for your brain to adjust each time you use them.

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #16,878 of 27,158
Apr 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #16,879 of 27,158
As I have both Kabeer's and RD's german ebay NAD RP18 here (both bass shy versions) actually, I made a short comparison. IMO, the taped DT770 pads sound much better than the W11 pads on these models, because they simply provide more bass and tame the ueber-mids to a certain extend.

But I'll keep my bass heavy RP18 on W11 pads, my liking is vice versa there...

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #16,880 of 27,158
You wouldn't happen to have J$ Denon or Stax O2 pads would you?  I bet the Stax O2 pad on the Mylar versions would be a good combo. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #16,881 of 27,158
I have at least J$ Beyer V1 pads here, they are a catastrophy on the RP18. But I think NoXter & me will do some more pad rolling this weekend, maybe we can dig out something different.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #16,882 of 27,158

Quote:
As I have both Kabeer's and RD's german ebay NAD RP18 here (both bass shy versions) actually, I made a short comparison. IMO, the taped DT770 pads sound much better than the W11 pads on these models, because they simply provide more bass and tame the ueber-mids to a certain extend.

But I'll keep my bass heavy RP18 on W11 pads, my liking is vice versa there...

Did you compare them to each other? They might be different. The mylar NADs might vary a bit.

Apr 13, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #16,883 of 27,158

Quote:
I have at least J$ Beyer V1 pads here, they are a catastrophy on the RP18. But I think NoXter & me will do some more pad rolling this weekend, maybe we can dig out something different.

Are the Beyer pads like the AKGs and really open donuts?  My complaint with the Denon pads is the ear opening is really small and tight on the ear, which is great for bass but sucks for comfort, plus the pad is so bloody think the RP18 headband is maxed out.  Which is why I prefer the O2 pad most of the time when I need to keep some bass. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #16,884 of 27,158
The inner diameter of Beyer- and J$ Beyer pads is much wider than AKG pads of the K271 or K701 sort, the overall thickness is comparable. It's true that a narrower inner diameter enhances the bass performance, but that can be partly compensated by taping or similar measures. Not enough to have sufficient bass on the T20v2 with circumaural pads of the Beyer sort though...

Apr 13, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #16,885 of 27,158
Ok, but their more comfortable than Shures, at least IMO...

The MB Quart or now German Maestro closed cans are nice.  I had the Quart 905s which were demolition and construction site headphones and with a pad swap to J$ Denon or Stax O2 pads they were just killer.  I'm sure the G/Maestro closed cups would be as good or better.  They have bright highs though, not harsh, just need time for your brain to adjust each time you use them.

I already the SE530s 6-8 hours a day at work with just about no problems so they're plenty comfy to me.

I think I'll check out the MB Quart and GMPs. Thanks.

Apr 14, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #16,886 of 27,158
Help!!! Can't take my head out of these rotten Wharfies ID1! They are scaring amazing!!!

Just... will a little bit of felt reduce that hump on the bass (only defect I can hear for now really)?

Anyone has suggestions for forsterphones or other mods apart Smeggy's wooden work of art?

A

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #16,887 of 27,158
@ nickchen, BMF & Kabeer:
i see, so the denon pads not so comfort for a circumaural pads...
popcorn.gif

how about pads ATH AD700/900 ? have you guys ever tried it on NAD RP-18 ?
it's cheaper than W11jpn though..
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #16,888 of 27,158
Only if you have a small head and with bass heavy Kapton versions of the RP18, the Denon pads would be way too much bass. 

I haven't tried any other AT pads except the W11 and ESW9s on T10s and HP-3s. 

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #16,890 of 27,158

Quote:
Only if you have a small head and with bass heavy Kapton versions of the RP18, the Denon pads would be way too much bass. 

I haven't tried any other AT pads except the W11 and ESW9s on T10s and HP-3s. 

actually my head are on average size (for an asia ppl) but denon pads are too expensive for me though...
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back