Orthodynamic Roundup
Apr 29, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #16,996 of 27,156

Quote:
I forget the exact model off hand.  The lack of bass is do to the very small transformers used in the energizers.  They severely limit frequency response and speed.  I'm removing the stock cable and switching over to a Stax cable and running mine off the Cavalli Audio Liquid Lightning prototype once I have it finished. 

I suspected so myself & would be very interested in your results.

BTW, I think I might have found the secret to unleashing the soundstage of NADs so folks, send all your NADs to me & I shall fix them for you.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #16,997 of 27,156

Quote:
I suspected so myself & would be very interested in your results.

BTW, I think I might have found the secret to unleashing the soundstage of NADs so folks, send all your NADs to me & I shall fix them for you.
evil_smiley.gif

None of the electrets will ever top full blown 'stats as the electrets do loose their static bias charge over time, or rather, it does weaken, but the effect of a good amp driving electrets is amazing.  Certain models of the ATs will never have the bass of an ortho or even a Stax SR-34, but they are enjoyable none the less and I'm planning to completely remove the little built-in trafos from my Kenwood 'trets and make them some woodie cups too.  The Toshibas need more mods, but they are generally a better driver than the Stax/AT cousins or the Phillips based 'trets like the Kenwood model I have.  I have about 7 pairs of 'trets ATM, but three are in need of replacement drivers that should be on the way soon from another H-F'er.  Once I have the AT and Stax 'trets refurb'ed, they'll all be posted up for sale, with and without energizers.  Then after auditioning the Kenwood and Toshiba 'trets, one will stay and the other will go.  I only plan to keep my favorite 'tret. 

I really need to thin the whole heard.  I have too many orthos and 'trets sitting here unused that should go into the hands of other members to spread the love and fund a TOTL build of my Liquid Lightning build. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #16,998 of 27,156
Actually, I was surprised by how good the rotel sounded aside from the lack of bass. The treble is among the best I have heard & the mids are smooth without any peaks/troughs although thin compared to the orthos. It really could have been interesting if they had a bit more bass.
I promised the big W to post some pic/info of the rotel & I need to get my lazy bum moving.
smile.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #16,999 of 27,156

Quote:

ATH-2?  Did anyone ever figure out how to make that thing sound good?  Sorry, haven't been around.  I have one that lives in a box currently.

Quote:
At least one person cut out the baffle.  I can't remember if they sounded good after that or not.

If you're talking about the stupid holes in front of the driver, I've done it. It opened the sound up, made it less dark, but it's still pretty colored, to the point where I stopped bothering to mod them until I can get an electric knife and memory foam. They're decent. not amazing, but good enough to show off to friends. They're damped with micropore, thick wool felt, and stock damping. I still need to try Nickchen's K171 pad thing for them though.

Apr 30, 2011 at 1:11 AM Post #17,000 of 27,156
for the NAD/T50's driver orientation, just try it out without removing it out from the housing..
to get more fairly, just removed the damping scheme from the inside, and put it all over again without damping and wear it..then try to move the headband backward or forward and hear the difference, different orientation will trade-off some freq, etc..i found that both version of NAD, SS100&T50v0 have different from others on orientation when stock..too bad i never make a pict all of em together..
if you notice there's 2 dotted that embossed on the corner of the magnet driver, and factory mark with red ink on the corner..you might not see it because its covered with mineral wool that glued to the magnet surface..there's emboss dotted&red mark ink on the opposite magnet as well, and it aligned with the front magnet..i know that the mark&dotted not there by mistake or randomize, my suspect is it's there to show something like quality control on the magnet driver orientation position when attach to baffle..
this is not my first experience change the orientation on ortho driver though, i have try it before on my SFI's and T20v2..if you remember well, there's some sonic changes happenned to the overall sounds if we alligned the openned holes on the magnet of T20/40's..i think the large holes on the magnet are there for something, even not too noticeable by bare eyes..the spacious depth just dissapear when the holes align straight, i dislike the result so i change it back again to stock position and the sound imaging, presentation coming back to how it used to be..
thats why i'm sure its the same for bigger Fostexen driver like T50/NAD and other OEM's..maybe for T30 as well, playing with the whole part of driver orientation are affected the whole sonic sound, imaging, presentation, even on the staging as well..there's some trade-off offcourse, exactly like on my experience with T20's, so it would be better to take a pict of it before you play with the orientation clock..
i remember there's some ink mark on the baffle of mylar NAD that i purchase from our ortho ninja, so i think i'm not alone with these found..try it out, you'll found what i've been talking about, just remember to take pict of it before changing, just in case you dislike the changing and want to put it back to the factory/stock orientation..the hint would be there on my previous post with picts of the openned cups to get it sound more like mine..mine now are more like a low tuning version of Lambda's modded with rockwool, only less wider staging&openness feel since they both have diff on the shape+size on the driver, cup frame&pads..that's for now..and yesterday i have tried to cover the magnet holes with micropore, improves the presentation a lot but still i prever without it and use the twin felt instead..i still able to hear a lil peak on the high freq that make the midrange almost sound sibilance/harsh for several song that i used to listen alot..OK that's for now guys, tell me what you've found with the clock orientation driver..

Apr 30, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #17,001 of 27,156
Maybe I will give that I try with my T20v2 when I got them back...

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #17,003 of 27,156
I am looking for an open enclosure for drivers of HP50s (45mm I believe) and would appreciate if someone can point me to some candidates.
Should be completely open, have some volume behind driver for damping & most importantly - cheap !

Would the stax/AT electrets do & if anyone has a cheap/defective pair, then do let me know.

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #17,004 of 27,156
Hello everyone,

I currently own a stock pair of Fostex T50rps and have enjoyed them IMMENSELY. I know I haven't brought out their full potential yet through modding and properly amping them, but hey, a delay in the upgrade bug and a relief for my wallet, eh?
The thing is, I got $1000 to spend now. 
atsmile.gif

What should I do with it? Buy like 5 pairs of T50rps and mod em? Smeggy treatment? LCD-2? Buy a nice amp and DAC?

Nah, as much as I love my audio gear, I think I need to save up still. Don't go too crazy on me, cause I don't want to spend the WHOLE thousand on audio gear. Maybe I would, but most likely not. Perhaps about half of it or a little more. I kinda want a bike or another saxophone, or a nice microphone for recording... Really think cost-efficiency here! And I'm still a nub to the audio world: my entry-level set-up definitely satisfies me, as of now, at least. 
wink_face.gif

I was originally thinking about buying the Fiio e7/e9 combo, but now that the available money is nudging me a little... you know!!

I have a stock pair of Fostex T50rps, no portable headphones/IEMs, no amp, a crappy onboard sound, and an iPod shuffle I really want to get rid of. 
I want a nice home setup and perhaps a decent portable one too. For ~$400-500, or a little more.
Cost-efficiency and options. Go!

May 1, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #17,005 of 27,156

Quote:
I am looking for an open enclosure for drivers of HP50s (45mm I believe) and would appreciate if someone can point me to some candidates.
Should be completely open, have some volume behind driver for damping & most importantly - cheap !

Would the stax/AT electrets do & if anyone has a cheap/defective pair, then do let me know.

I think I still a pair of teh AT 'trets w/o an energizer with one or both channels low output.  I'll check them on the other energizer and see if they are still dead.  If so, I'd be willing to pull the drivers and part with the rest of the headband for a reasonable price, unless you want to do some experiments with low output 'tret drivers. 

May 1, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #17,006 of 27,156
I just put XB700 pads on my T30 and finally they're comfortable.  I haven't listened to them in a couple of years and I forgot to listen before changing the pads so I'm not sure how the new pads may have changed the sound.  They are pretty amazing sounding with the new pads though.  

May 2, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #17,008 of 27,156

Quote:
I just put XB700 pads on my T30 and finally they're comfortable.  I haven't listened to them in a couple of years and I forgot to listen before changing the pads so I'm not sure how the new pads may have changed the sound.  They are pretty amazing sounding with the new pads though.  

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back