Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 21, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #13,637 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what about filling them with formless wads of fiberfill, relying on the leather to keep it vaguely in shape?

Also, I don't have ANY experience with leather earpads, so I don't know if it would have any effect, but what about using a block of memory foam?

THis i had them try..the polyfiill ended up in bunches and making the pad feel lumpy. No uniformity in the feel. Also as you rightly guessed, they don't take to the shape quite as well as the foam.

The problem with the foam is the sloping shape. Cutting it by hand may not be perfect but will be doable i feel.

I was told that if the order was big enough then they could source the foam which comes as a big roll and have it cut on their machines. I don't think there is enough demand for like 100 pairs or so of the pads which is the number he quoted as a minimum for them to source the thick foam material.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #13,638 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have ideas and sources for potential fillings. Yes, memory foam is good but I'd need to get my hands on the pads before knowing for sure.

We'll see if that can be arranged specially for you Smegster
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #13,640 of 27,137
Mar 22, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #13,642 of 27,137
There was a great DC meet yesterday that had a lot of good planars. I brought most of my orthos, MPI brought his Beyer E-1000, SR-X MkIII Pro, and Lambda Signature. cetoole brought an HE-5, Thunderpants, and SR-007. AmanGeorge brought a Lambda normal, SR-404 Limited and ESP-950. Hirch brought an undamped YH-1000 and Jelkin Stat.

The biggest disappointment for me was the HE-5. It sounded like a typically under damped ortho. The Thunderpants were my favorites. They were the only headphones at the meet that you could really listen too. They're isolation is incredible.

Mar 22, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #13,645 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by aasat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice ortho phones
smily_headphones1.gif

2 old grandfathers of this hobby - now you need a wharfdale to complete the family
wink.gif

Cool to hear of the ortho representation at the meet Scompton

..dB

Mar 22, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #13,647 of 27,137
Yeah we had a really good planar thing going between the five of us. cetoole also brought his SR-404 with him, which I asked him to bring. It was really hard to do any critical listening since everyone, including myself, was almost always in conversation. In fact, I only got a decent listen to maybe two or three headphones, and even then only got a vague idea of the sound. Closed headphones work a lot better than open ones in meet conditions. I couldn't really get a good idea of anything at all with the K1000, and frankly didn't try very hard since I was talking to people so much.

Mar 22, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #13,649 of 27,137
Funny thing is that my current favourite are my little woodied YHD-2's. Reasonable isolation but still has that big sound of the little YHD series. Not that any of them are bad, but parting with my YH100 made me revisit these little gems. I few small mods and they bounced to the top of the pile.

If anyone did have the chance to form some opinions of the biggins, YH1000, TP , HE5 .... ?others
smily_headphones1.gif
. would like to hear about it

..dB

Mar 22, 2010 at 11:11 PM Post #13,650 of 27,137
Did you ever post pictures of the woodied YHD-2? I don't remember seeing them.

I listened to the YH-1000 for about 5 minutes. They weren't damped, and the pads were fabric, but sounded pretty good. They didn't sound that under damped. The stock damping must be pretty good.

I wasn't all that impressed with the HE-5. It sounded like a typically under damped ortho. I only listened for a minute or 2, but that was enough to know I prefer most of my vintage orthos. They are very good looking though. MPI said that when he heard them before, he remembered them sounding better.

I liked all of the stats I listened to. The one I'd buy is the normal bias Lambda. It has the best price/performance ratio. It was pretty close to the SR-404 Limited in sound. I might change my mind if I heard them in a quieter environment.

Hirsch also brought a Ergo 2 that I was happy to listen to. It wasn't as open as I thought it would be. It sounded nice, but not as nice as I hoped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back