Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 23, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #13,651 of 27,158
I had posted images previously , not sure where so here is a reminder.

yhd2001.jpg

The YH1000 is an interesting phone, I would be interested in hearing wualta's impressions as he had this in his possession for a while before it was shipped to Hirsch. The naked drivers sounded good but I never got to hear this pair "all wrapped up" - they are well damped by design.

..dB

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #13,655 of 27,158
Mar 23, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #13,656 of 27,158
Now that we're already talking about old headphones, I've finally got some Mogami cable with Neutrik plug for the old Peerless PMB-80. I also replaced the blutak damping of the bass-cancellation vents with thick dense felt. Changing several things at the same things has the added bonus that it will for sure sound different compared to how it was.

Mar 23, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #13,657 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, these small drivers can have mad bass on them with the right enclosures.

Yeah, as long as you don't use that horrible, bass-robbing fake chamois crap.

I went through over a half dozen foster phones thinking it was the enclosure to blame only to try this stuff on some dynamic drivers with stupid amounts of bass. Put this stuff on and it sounded much like all the ortho's I made - sucked the bass dry. Actually, the bass was still there it was just greatly attenuated. Stuff also kills dynamics. Hate it.

A better damping material? One or two layers of hepa filter material...

Try it.

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #13,659 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't all that impressed with the HE-5. It sounded like a typically under damped ortho. I only listened for a minute or 2, but that was enough to know I prefer most of my vintage orthos. They are very good looking though. MPI said that when he heard them before, he remembered them sounding better.

I liked all of the stats I listened to. The one I'd buy is the normal bias Lambda. It has the best price/performance ratio.

Seems like the HE-5s follow some of the other orthos lead in being very source/amp sensitive. With my Denon DCD-F101 CDP feeding the CR-620, they were good, but the highs were too metallic or too bright to me. They definitely sounded better than unmodded Yamaha YH-100s or YH-3s though, however, for $600 they damn well better be the nicer sounding can.

I'm just smitten with how good my SR-Lambdas sound out of the SRD6 plugged into the CR-620. I bump the bass up to +2 to compensate for the bandwidth reduction of the SRD6 and they are just fantastic. I'm really looking forward to them out of my boutique eXStata SS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that we're already talking about old headphones, I've finally got some Mogami cable with Neutrik plug for the old Peerless PMB-80. I also replaced the blutak damping of the bass-cancellation vents with thick dense felt. Changing several things at the same things has the added bonus that it will for sure sound different compared to how it was.

So the felt rings fit ok? How do they sound now?

Mar 24, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #13,660 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BMF, I know the Oz felt is a bit of pita to obtain, but do you have an estimate for how long it's gonna take? I can wait longer but I'd like to know roughly when I'm going to get the T40. Thanks.

Mar 24, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #13,661 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Doesn't really belong in the public thread, so PM sent.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #13,663 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seems like a planar extravaganza going on there
smily_headphones1.gif

Not letting go of my wharfeys, they are prolly my second fave ortho.

Will hunt down another pair somewhere down the line for sure. Love them Wharfies more than any other ortho..hate being a student sometimes.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #13,665 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard somewhere that someone put some O2 pads on a Concept CE-H and got a big old pile of bass. Wondering how the O2 pads fit and if the
ph34r.gif
had any comments in regarding the rest of the sound.

Reports say the O2 pads are just slightly too big for the CE-H so there's some wiggle room but not enough for them to be really loose. If you mean how they actually fit, they do so the same way the CE-H pads fit, through use of a lip.

Pads seem to make up a large majority of the sound, as putting on the O2 pads brought a lot of the qualities noticed on the O2 to the CE-H. A very smooth sound, somewhat echoey due to cavity resonance, and with huge bass that is not quite punchy. Decently flat frequency response other than the huge bass but another damping layer on top of the two felt discs and reflex dot already in place would've certainly helped. These impressions are just from a quick listen, some say, as the O2 pads were then promptly removed for use with another headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back