Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #13,667 of 27,158
The CE-H is/was a Fostex built headphone for the "stereo pacific" chain in the US. It used a t-20 driver in a fancy pants home consumer friendly package as opposed to the more studio looking Fostex branded ones.

Thanks for the earpad info mypasswordis.

Mar 26, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #13,668 of 27,158
conceptphones1a-e.jpg

A Fostex OEM. Grundig called theirs the GDHS-223:

GrundigGDHS223ortho-1-E.jpg

And one more time, since I love this photo because it's a perfect picture of being at one (not to mention at home in a profound sense) with one's Wharfedales..

GaryButcherakaSmeggywithhisWharf-1.jpg

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #13,669 of 27,158
I just got some Technics EAH-810. Sounds quite pleasant in its raw state, room for improvement of course in what I understand as the usual ways. It looks really cheap, the cable is amazingly cheap and nasty looking. Pad stuffing all but shot. But its very light and comfortable.

Great thanks to Kabeer for posting photos of how he got into his.

Mar 26, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #13,670 of 27,158
Some initial work and the EAH-810 sounds nice. I put in plenty of dynamat (well, local substitute) and a couple of discs of felted wool sweater (luckily my wonderful wife does sometimes wash sweaters at the wrong temperature to provide such materials) behind the drivers, re-stuffed the pads with polyester 'hollowfill' stuffing.

I think I could pull back a bit and use a lighter felt discs, although it sounds good, somewhat forward and lively, a bit upper-mid forward, but without big spikes. Bass disappears at 20Hz dropping off from 50 or so, which is ok for me, treble goes up to my hearing drop off at 17,500Hz or so, and isn't too sharp or lacking.

Good stuff.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #13,671 of 27,158
Received a pair of HP-2 today. Stock, they sounded a bit sleepy.IIRC, the stock T20v2 sounded better but the undampened loose bass made me smile.

I opened them & placed two layers of felt & they came back to life. Speed was there but the extension on both sides lacked a little, so out came the reflex dot & I also increased the central dampening & that was all that it needed.

For a first day mod, the result exceeded my expectations.I think these are gonna stay with this mod for a while. Sounds really good, slightly underdampened but great tonal balance & extension.

I forgot to mention how light these feel compared to the T20. Mario-Bellini frame might not be very sturdy but it sure is light & comfortable.

Mar 27, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #13,674 of 27,158
You're quite welcome. Thanks for being willing to take apart some now-valuable headphones and report your results.

I admit that I myself don't understand differential damping, which is why I don't mention it. But if it works, it works.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #13,676 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbel84's differential dampening theory works well too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Errrhemm *cough cough cough*: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5049311-post6015.html
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some initial work and the EAH-810 sounds nice.

I'd like to hear them one day soon, as I think my ears have changed since I owned them. Maybe we should have a micro meet (after mid-may).

Quote:

Originally Posted by iQEM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys, check this out...
i have add some picts, would add more later...
Yamaha HP-1000 - Wikiphonia

Good driver photos. There is a lot of corrosion, that is probably what requires attention to fix it.

Mar 27, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #13,677 of 27,158
Would be good to meet you Kabeer. The 810s very far from sorted, but on the right track I think. If I haven't got them to a better place by the time we meet I'll look forward to talking damping strategies with you...

I have new T50RPs in the house too. Haven't done anything to them yet...

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #13,678 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Errrhemm *cough cough cough*: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/5049311-post6015.html

My apologies to Ludoo. I noticed dbel84 explaining the theory a few pages back & assumed that it was is contribution.
ph34r.gif

May be if I had used the Ludoo's search engine , I won't have made the mistake.Another great contribution from him.
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:25 PM Post #13,679 of 27,158
Quote:

My apologies to Ludoo. I noticed dbel84 explaining the theory a few pages back & assumed that it was is contribution.
ph34r.gif

May be if I had used the Ludoo's search engine , I won't have made the mistake.Another great contribution from him.
beerchug.gif

I need to cough some more too to get my name in there for the donuts
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by lecky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be good to meet you Kabeer. The 810s very far from sorted, but on the right track I think. If I haven't got them to a better place by the time we meet I'll look forward to talking damping strategies with you...

I have new T50RPs in the house too. Haven't done anything to them yet...

Sounds great, after mid-May I'll have some time to place towards damping and such. I should also have a pair of T50rp's on the way, but not sure exactly when they'll get here.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #13,680 of 27,158
Quote:

My apologies to Ludoo.

my apologies to Ludo too
smily_headphones1.gif
, I was not even aware of his description - we came to the same conclusions over time.

Yamaha also seemed to have come to the same conclusion - I don't recall the YH1000 having this additional differentiation at the vents. Kabeer?

HP1000_insidecup.jpg

..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back