Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 18, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #13,621 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What this exercise showed me was that orthodynamics are a step further towards the live sound i chase than my HD600s, and i suspected at them time i wouldn't be buying another set of dynamic headphones. Since then i've put my money where my mouth is and this morning i was lucky enough to take delivery of a pair of unmolested HP-3s.
Thanks Kabeer for introducing me to the wonderful world of orthos!

This is what I also found when I went from the HD580 to the Grundig 224, which was better in many ways than the 580, and it turned out that many vintage orthos were also better in different ways. (Except for the Audeze LCD-1 which is better in every respect, IMHO.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was planning to read through this thread to get some idea of how to make the most of these headphones, especially the use of a power amp to drive the headphones as mentioned above, but over 900 pages this could take me a while! Can anyone sum up what i need to know or point me towards key sections in this thread please? Thanks in advance
smily_headphones1.gif

This is where to go if you have an idea what to search for Home / Head-Fi Megathreads

Mar 18, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #13,622 of 27,158
Hello!

I just got a mint Yamaha HP-1 and am interested in doing some modding.

I'm trying to get it to sound like a slightly refined Audio-Technica ES7, so in other words:
  1. deep, punchy, tight bass
  2. forward, "Audio Technica-like", colored mids
  3. smooth, non-sibilant highs
  4. decent, wide soundstage while still being forward
  5. full, "leaning towards bright" sound

What mods should I do and how should I do them?

Thanks,
Leon

Mar 19, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #13,623 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeonWho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!

I just got a mint Yamaha HP-1 and am interested in doing some modding.

I'm trying to get it to sound like a slightly refined Audio-Technica ES7, so in other words:
  1. deep, punchy, tight bass
  2. forward, "Audio Technica-like", colored mids
  3. smooth, non-sibilant highs
  4. decent, wide soundstage while still being forward
  5. full, "leaning towards bright" sound

What mods should I do and how should I do them?

Thanks,
Leon

If you can make hp-1 mids sound like audio-technica mids, I don't want to know how - if the ath-a900 is representative. Edit: I'm intentionally being unfair here. The ATH-A900 is easily the biggest disappointment in my head-fi history, and the only quality headphone i took an immediate dislike to. Probably because it has a deep hole in the midrange, right smack on 'middle c'. I pray that other AT headphones don't sound so fake and weird, but I'm unwilling to find out.

You probably can't get wide soundstage out of the hp-1 driver. Not without constructing a new headphone around them, anyway.

The rest is easy - lay on some felt.

Mar 19, 2010 at 5:04 AM Post #13,624 of 27,158
Eric's right. Plus, don't be afraid to go nuts with some good quality EQ.

It's best not to overthink this. You'll know within a few minutes of doing the simplest, quickest mod (ie, the slapping-on of felt) whether the HP-1 is going to do it for you. Speed-date the 'phone. If you want to jazz the highs, slap on a square of sticky tape before you slap on the felt. Just remember that everything, even minor things, can change the sound. When you're tweaking to zero in on the sound you want, try to change only one thing at a time. Don't swap earpads at the same time you're trying out the new dryer-lint damping scheme or auditioning a new amp, for example.

Will you get an HP-1 to sound (or feel) like your A-T? We don't know. It's impossible to predict the end result when there are so many variables. But I think you'll at least respect the results of your work.

Take notes, take photos, report back.

Mar 20, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #13,625 of 27,158
Here are the pics of the 2 pairs of cloned O2 pads i picked up today..well worth the 45$ i paid for each pair. far better than the original O2 pads which turns out is not made from leather. At least the guy says so.

The new pads feel more comfortable over the ears and breathes better.

picture017q.jpg

picture019oz.jpg

picture018uj.jpg

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #13,626 of 27,158
How is the "Thunderpanzer" sound with them?

Can we see the rear of the pads? Do they fit snugly?

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #13,627 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are the pics of the 2 pairs of cloned O2 pads i picked up today..well worth the 45$ i paid for each pair. far better than the original O2 pads which turns out is not made from leather. At least the guy says so.

The new pads feel more comfortable over the ears and breathes better

Bring me back (2) pairs if you have time to grab them before you leave. Or at least get their contact info so you can arrange a small group buy.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #13,629 of 27,158
Good looking pads, sachu. That price is pretty good.

fwiw, Stax readily admits that o2mk1 pads are not leather but a high quality synthetic that both costs more than leather and should outlast it. o2mk2 pads are claimed to be real leather.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #13,631 of 27,158
Happy birthday!

I would be interested in a pair of O2 pad clones as well, if possible.

BMF, I know the Oz felt is a bit of pita to obtain, but do you have an estimate for how long it's gonna take? I can wait longer but I'd like to know roughly when I'm going to get the T40. Thanks.

Mar 20, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #13,633 of 27,158
many happy returns of the day Smegster!!

The pads work great. I only got a coupleof pairs made at the moment, but my guy has the pattern ready now so he can make them whenever i ask for a few pairs and then ship it directly over to me.

One caveat is that they don't have the foam material that goes into the pads.
So they will provide the outer ring with netting and the leather while we will have to make the frame for the foam and the foam filling for the pads. This shouldn't be too hard. They didn't have that size foam with them else theey would have got that done as well. Am right now using the foam from my O2 pads in the cloned leather pads.

I had them make a pair each with Napparone and Nappa leather the Nappa (the one in the pics) looks nicer and feels softer as well. Napparone was from goat and this was from sheep..

The pads won't be delievered immediately however as they are a big export only manufacturing facility and this they are doing for me out of a favor cause my dad knows the owner.

Anyways, more info later..I can have Jude grant us permission to do a group buy later on down the road. i will post better pics when i get back to Portland come monday.

Mar 21, 2010 at 4:15 AM Post #13,635 of 27,158
what about filling them with formless wads of fiberfill, relying on the leather to keep it vaguely in shape?

Also, I don't have ANY experience with leather earpads, so I don't know if it would have any effect, but what about using a block of memory foam?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back