Orthodynamic Roundup
Mar 15, 2010 at 8:48 PM Post #13,591 of 27,184
iheadphones has a deal on T50-RPs - £60 - which seems pretty fair for the UK, so ordered a pair today. Looking forward to hearing how they can be made to sound compared to mt T20v2s. The Smeggy Thunderpants that Kabeer had were very interesting. I can see some lathe work at some point in my future...

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #13,592 of 27,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did a frequency sweep with sinegen.
I found my T20 to be smooth from 1k to 10k apart from a dip between 7.5-8k & the sound alternately pans to one ear in that range.
Can some one explain this?

Sounds like the two sides don't quite match up. As to the cause, could be normal production variation, but could also be slight damage affecting tension or stiffness of the diaphragms.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #13,593 of 27,184
perhaps, or may be it is due to the cup resonance.
Not really a significant problem, didn't notice it during my listening sessions.

The DT880 600 ohm in comparison have a dip at around 4k & a big peak at 6.5k,
so T20 is actually the smoothest headphone I have had.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #13,594 of 27,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
heh, this flashed through my mind when I responded but realized medial lateral would be the best anatomic descriptive
wink.gif

and BMF, this is just sad
wink.gif

On the frequency response front - this is the principal I work on, no idea how accurate it is but most of the damping responses work

I consider essentially 2 types of drivers ( I know this is a gross oversimplification but their reaction to damping can be split this way )
1. center pinned
2. not

The center pinned drivers - most of the yamahas, the PMBs all behave like a ring radiator ( but again not quite) Because the center is pinned the diaphragm in this region moves less that the diaphragm at the periphery . My simple interpretation is that most high frequencies come from the center and the bass comes from the edge. I thus damp these drivers differentially, emphasizing the heavier damping centrally to control the mids and push up the highs while leaving the edge some freedom to move air.

The other drivers ( not all ) are attached at the edges and although the force exerted is evenly distributed, I treat these as the converse of the center pinned drives - ie bass comes from the center while the edges produce the highs/mids and thus differentially damp them to keep the ceneter less heavily damped . This is where the donut concept comes in.

..dB

So, I guess this is what's going on with my T20v2, and I didn't realize it. I wanted to remove the cups completely, and go for an open set, so I used a disc of dynamat with a hole punched in the center (sticky side out), with a microfiber cloth disc on top of it. I put a small piece of packing foam in the middle, to tension up the "shamois" layer, to kill the mid-bass bloat. So, apparently, what you describe is exactly what I did.

So far, my only annoyance with it is that the only comparison 'phones I have are sub-$100 (PMX-100, Creative Aurvana Live, Sony MDR-v6), so I have no idea how good or not-yet-good these are.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #13,595 of 27,184
I've been reading up on orthos but the info is pretty hard to come by so I'll ask this blunt general question: Is it possible to get into the ortho world with $400 and if so, what would be the best way?

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #13,597 of 27,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by gurubhai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^^ If you had been reading more carefully you would have known that the target entry price here is more like $40
evil_smiley.gif

I mean the whole rig.
evil_smiley.gif
I know that orthos can be cheap. But I have heard that not just any amp can drive them. also in regards to modding, can a noob bring them up to snuff?

BTW, There's a yamaha hp-3 I can grab for next to nothing, is that one any good?

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #13,601 of 27,184
Yup if you can get it for next to nothing, go for it. Then cram a lot of felt in the cups and you should be good to go.
biggrin.gif
In general, orthos like a lot of good clean power.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #13,602 of 27,184
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many mW are needed?

This all depends in the impedance of your headphone but you won't go amiss throwing a good 10W at most orthos
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Although I guess they do recommend the Solid States so I know that much.

no such thing - if you do read this thread , big old mosfet receivers are FOTM

Quote:

Maverick D10 enough? Travagan's Red?

Does Travagan's Red taste any good? sounds like it should.

..dB

edit - grab the HP3 , the small driver Yamaha's have some of the best magic

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #13,603 of 27,184
Quote:

That article didn't help very much.
frown.gif
Just a bunch of amplifiers with a short description.

How many mW are needed? Maverick D10 enough? Travagan's Red?

You can get into orthos for $400 easily if you can DIY. The Fostex T20v2s are probably the easiest to come by and sound great for the usual price around $55-$75. You can get new T50RPs for $80-$90'sh shipped, but I feel they lack bass compared to the older Fostex. T10s and T20v1s are awesome, but in the $100-$150 neighborhood. The small driver Yammies are still reasonable at $60-$125 depending on model.

For amps, I have a vintage Yamaha CR-620 and love it, but also have a couple others in the works: MOSFET-MAX V1.2 (bumped up to 3.5A supply and 135-175mA bias on the FETs), an Aikido 24V planned at 75V (with 80-100mA bias initially before I take it up to 135-170mA on a big slab heatsink). Any of the Yamaha CR-x20s are great, but the CR-620, CR-820, and CR-1020 are the easiest to find on eBay.

The CTH and EHHA are the other two amps that would be on the short list if I needed to stick to the $400 budget and I'll probably build an EHHA before too long and let my three hybrids duke it out in the ring, then sell off two.

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #13,604 of 27,184
Quote:

That article didn't help very much.
frown.gif
Just a bunch of amplifiers with a short description.

How many mW are needed? Maverick D10 enough? Travagan's Red?

Get something like Dynalo or CKKIII and you will be happy. I heard both during a meet and they worked very well with YH-1 and HP-50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back