Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 1, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #10,831 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm listening - you know what my opinion has been , this sounds just what the doc ordered
wink.gif
..dB

edit - ps fantastic news btw , always thought those ESW9 pads were worth their looks.

Yep, your help and quantification of the mid-bass misbehaving was extremely helpful as I thought I was going crazy!

Check your email in a bit...

Jun 1, 2009 at 6:03 AM Post #10,833 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good. What would be included in the $400 price? How much will the drivers by itself cost? Please post official Audeze LCD-1 pics and driver pictures/ diagrams if you have any.

We will post the official pics as soon as we take them.

As far as a pic of the driver we would like to refrain from making these public yet.

Our goal at Can Jam was to introduce the driver and get opinions as well as introduce ourselves to the industry.

Sankar and I have not decided if we are going to sell the transducers alone yet.

We are doing a run of 25 of these for our first edition and pre-orders were made today at CanJam.

If you are interested in reserving a pair please email info@audeze.com

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 1, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #10,834 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm so do I assume Hans Dorms scammed me? Seems unlikely..

I think it sounds weird too. A HOK-80 isn't exactly worth a fortune, so it is not the ideal item for a scam.... Let's hope he reappears soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by troopers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got this item from Ebay last night.... Sansui SS-L55
it's look like my ATH-2... is this item orthodynamic?

From the picture of the inside of the cup, I thought it was hard to see whether it's an ortho driver inside. We know that there has at least been one dynamic can released using an ATH-2-like headset. The Sansui is supposedly late 80s which speaks against it being an orhto, but it's not impossible. It will be good to hear what you find when opening it!

image001seo.jpg

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #10,835 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man,they couldn't spring for a brand new foster phone? At CanJam to make their debut?

There are features I like on head-direct's orthos, but others I don't. Are we assuming he's using SFI drivers like everyone else? But angle closed cell foam pads? To Grado sandpaper'ish for me...

The RE5 drivers are large square drivers,and at least nothing like the SFI drivers we've been getting for DIY. The headphone sounds Very good, even with a $300-400 EF1 tube hybrid (which is powerful enough to drive them easily). It reminded me a lot of my Smegma Pros. Very electrostatic-like.

Jun 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #10,836 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by troopers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got this item from Ebay last night.... Sansui SS-L55
it's look like my ATH-2... is this item orthodynamic?

Picture :

269717091_o.jpg

269717074_o.jpg

269717062_o.jpg

goodluck mate, hopefully it's the same as we expect before...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the picture of the inside of the cup, I thought it was hard to see whether it's an ortho driver inside. We know that there has at least been one dynamic can released using an ATH-2-like headset. The Sansui is supposedly late 80s which speaks against it being an orhto, but it's not impossible. It will be good to hear what you find when opening it!

image001seo.jpg

x2...FYI, he's the one that bought ATH-2 from me...
popcorn.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #10,838 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by aasat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find in net this sentence, Review from may 1978

"Ross Electronics are adding four new orthodynamic headphones and professional electret microphones."

Review | Commentary by John Borwick | Page*144 - May*1978 - Gramophone Archive

New unknown ortho?

Hello aasat,
Me and Defectiveaudiocomponent were pondering over this a month or so ago when he came across that.

To me it seems they are reffering to the PMB line up (was there 4 PMB orthos in one line up?) Since it looked like Ross and PMB were partners.
Thats my guess.

Jun 1, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #10,840 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm so do I assume Hans Dorms scammed me? Seems unlikely..

What did he cam you out of?

I haven't heard from him in almost 2 months. He still has my HOK80 and HOK80V2s..the guy has been online in that period but doesn't seem to respond. I am out 50 Euros.

Oh well..i iwll sort that out later..big news!!..Sankar and Alex are great guys..The Audeze has a helluva lot of potential. I saw the driver, its looks great. I am not going to give away too much as the guys have yet to file for patents and in a month they will post all the pics themselves am sure.
From waht Sankar told me, we can expect the specs on the river to be even more impressive a few months down the line.

The Head-direct ortho is a really sweet headphone. We did a small shootout of orthos, Audeze, Head-Direct, Yamaha HP2, HP1, YH-100s.. The HeadDirect trumped in this contest. The audeze was somewhere in the middle but I believe with a better frame it can be great. What floored me was that the head-fdirect ortho was open (so was the LCD-1) with no damping at all, the bass response was unbelievable.

IF they do go ahead with a intro price of 700$, expect them to run out very soon for they can only manufacture a 20-30 a month at the moment.

The fact that the driver itself is only 4 ohms (mylar membrane) they have had to add a resistor in series to bump p the impeadnce so your precious amps don't fry.
The connectors they are using too is very cool. Detachable and are exactly the ones that I think are used in BERT systems in Electronic labs. Usually used to test high frequency stuff. The quality is top notch all around.

Replaceable foam pads (twist and pull , very cool. There might be an option of velor, which would add to the already fantastic bottom end response.)

I will post pics later ..just got back and I am friggin tired as hell.

I did not take too many photos of the meet as my camera bummed out on me the first day and the second day I was just too excited.
tongue.gif

I have pics of the Head-direct drivers. Also have pics of our friends at their table.

More to follow. I am sure Colin will have a lot to say on this as well.

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:33 PM Post #10,841 of 27,137
bah!...figured I might as well get them up since I was sitting here posting ..
here you go you bunch of weirdos with an ortho fetish
tongue.gif

The head-direct driver with the earpads off.

I think this pic makes things very clear about the driver
wink.gif

With the foam pads on:

Colin (cetoole performing the ortho shootout)
beerchug.gif
:

and...yours truly enjoying the LCD-1 out of the CTH.
ph34r.gif

p.s: the only thing about the head-direct ortho that is going to be a sticking point is that the cups will not be detachable. So I doubt if we can custom damp it. (and yes, it could use some damping)

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #10,842 of 27,137
thanks a bunch for the pics and info sachu!

really surprising that the head direct ortho works so well, being completely undamped and having such unsuitable pads.
thats one cool looking driver as well; do you know how big it is, and if the baffle is properly sealed?

Jun 1, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #10,843 of 27,137
I bought 4 32ohm sfi from ebay, two I used to make something portable from my akg k140, i have older version of it, withno holes on the body like here: http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/akghifi/akg02.jpg

after one hour of fighting, i was able to try it, first i heard was sound withno low frequencys, highs, mids are very nice and clear...

any sugestions, how to give them some bass? maybe making some holes in body would be good way.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #10,844 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brestinder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought 4 32ohm sfi from ebay, two I used to make something portable from my akg k140, i have older version of it, withno holes on the body like here: http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/akghifi/akg02.jpg

after one hour of fighting, i was able to try it, first i heard was sound withno low frequencys, highs, mids are very nice and clear...

any sugestions, how to give them some bass? maybe making some holes in body would be good way.

i cant get the link to work, so i cant see what you have done already, but to get the sfi singing the way they should, you need to make sure to seal the driver to the baffle properly using bluetack (also seal any openings in the baffle leading into the ear).

you would also need to reduce the volume of the k140 cup if it is to large, using epoxy putty or bitumen.
if the cups are completely closed you should add a small bass vent in the back.
have you damped them in any way, or are they undamped?

edit: just found a picture of the k140 showing cloth pads. the sfi driver really needs sealing leather or pleather pads to produce bass, so yourse have cloth pads as well, you might want to cover the pads with some leather/pleather, or find some more suitable pads.

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #10,845 of 27,137
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks a bunch for the pics and info sachu!

really surprising that the head direct ortho works so well, being completely undamped and having such unsuitable pads.
thats one cool looking driver as well; do you know how big it is, and if the baffle is properly sealed?

I would say it is about 2 inches x 2 inches

The baffle is sealed properly I think. The white material on which the driver is mounted is the baffle and it looks like some kind of rigid plastic (?). The pads are actually very nice..very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back