Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 1, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #10,861 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the size and shape of the drivers, do you know and can you tell us that? I am thinking foster enclosure here
biggrin.gif

It is oval in shape..But I believe the baffle could be cut into different shapes, assuming the guys can accomodate that on their jig (?)

Jun 1, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #10,862 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did he cam you out of?

I haven't heard from him in almost 2 months. He still has my HOK80 and HOK80V2s..the guy has been online in that period but doesn't seem to respond. I am out 50 Euros.

HOK80v2. Shame..

edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It got more of the deeper bass too that's needed for Radiohead - House of Cards.

That's one of my usual bass test tracks
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #10,863 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did he cam you out of?

I haven't heard from him in almost 2 months. He still has my HOK80 and HOK80V2s..the guy has been online in that period but doesn't seem to respond. I am out 50 Euros.

50 euros seems a bit rich for HOKs. I think i paid 10eud for my hok80-2 and that was high.

As always, though, it seems that the biggest problem with HOKs is getting them out of germany.

Jun 1, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #10,864 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its at times like these i regret becoming a freelance animator, so much to buy yet so little money
frown.gif

i just found what might be a sweet deal on a pair of quad esl 63, but i also want to buy an EHHA kit, and some new orthos.
its so hard to choose
floatsmile.png

so... i ended up buying the quads, who needs orthos or food and stuff anyway?
tongue.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #10,868 of 27,158
Quick update on the YH-100s. The ID stretch on the R10 pads has been a huge success. Over night the cans evolved into YH-1000s! Well, that's a little hyperbole, as they still say YH-100, but I had the pads on empty prescription bottles about 35mm-37mm in OD. The ID stretched about 7-9mm and stayed about 4-5mm wider. Definitely enough improvement to bring up the treble and upper mids so the cans do not sound dark, while the bass is probably a little smoother and just a touch more balanced.

My mom is a quilter and has cotton batting scraps. I'm going to use some batting instead of the cotton balls and see if I can get the same sound with much better balance between the left and right channels. Oh, they sound good and you can't hear a channel imbalance per say, but I know it's there simply because I could weigh the material and the cotton balls very so much. The cotton batting will be much, much more consistent throughout the country and within the material itself. I am going to look for a small gram scale just so I can weigh the dampening and see how close it is. Since the fiberglass doesn't really dampen the drivers, then it not as critical, but a weight there would help too. I WON'T be removing the blu-tak to weigh it though. It was a PITA to put on and I cut the pieces as consistently equal as I could from the same extrusion, so they're as close as anyone's ears could tell.

Also going to change the dampening on my YH-3s to mimic the YH-100s and see how that sounds. They sound so closed in compared to the 100s now and I followed Ludoo's bass heavy scheme originally and needed more dampening.

EDIT: Just listened to the YH-100s against one of my favorite cans, cetoole's QP400s. The QPs are a little forward and a touch bright on the treble, but it's a very enjoyable headphone and probably my favorite can in my house at the moment if I had to choose just one can for all music types. The bass on the YH-100s is much stronger and the mids are there and sweet, just darker. So I think the 100s are still a tad underdamped for the R10 pads. Now he question is, do I add cotton or cover four holes on the driver?

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #10,869 of 27,158
you guys... these speakers... i cant explain it, its just...
tears of joy pouring in to my mouth... cant breathe...

hvorerwilly.jpg

even without a lot of placement testing, no aucustic room treatment, and very ghetto stands, these speakers are unbelievable!

listening to K.K.K.K.K. by Kahimi Karie right now, and the goosebumps are tearing my skin apart!
ph34r.gif

upgraditis cured
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #10,870 of 27,158
Quote:

even without a lot of placement testing, no aucustic room treatment, and very ghetto stands, these speakers are unbelievable!

listening to K.K.K.K.K. by Kahimi Karie right now, and the goosebumps are tearing my skin apart!
ph34r.gif

upgraditis cured
beerchug.gif

biggrin.gif
! congrats, looks v.cool. Are they electrostat or ribbon? (im a speaker n00b).
And hahahaa why's there a Where's Wally in the corner of your photo? (Where's Waldo for you americans)

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #10,871 of 27,158
they are quad esl 63 electrostats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And hahahaa why's there a Where's Wally in the corner of your photo?

a picture without waldo is worthless!

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #10,872 of 27,158
Quote:

ph34r.gif

upgraditis cured
beerchug.gif

Excellent!!.. i am into headphones out of desperation and not by choice..
Enjoy!!
beerchug.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #10,873 of 27,158
Quote:

upgraditis cured
beerchug.gif

You know they get better with upgrades right?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #10,874 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know they get better with upgrades right?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I CAN'T HEAR YOU, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!! oh wait... I CAN'T READ YOUR POST, CAN'T read your... sob, sob.

Jun 2, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #10,875 of 27,158
Quote:

they are quad esl 63 electrostats.

Nice speakers. I was thinking for a while now it I should get me some Quads, but never got around to it. I am happy with my SAPs and Apologies. What kind of amp are you using with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back