Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 4, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #10,891 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bargain !!!! where do I send my cc details
tongue_smile.gif

- so satisfying to see you come this far to getting the sound where you want it.

..dB

Email sent with a link to membership...

Thanks!

I'm also waiting on you and Colin to replicate it on your YH100s once I think it's maxed out and tell me what you think. Working on the two together has really allowed me to take big steps on both. Getting the vocal mids to match so perfectly between the two was a great confirmation as well. Of course, I could open the vents on the YH-100s and it could sound worse, so I'm only trying one change at a time now, no matter how small I think their effect may be.

Jun 4, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #10,892 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared it to the YH100s and they both have nearly identical mids, so I'm happy with the materials and tape on the drivers. Now I just need to take advantage of the YH100s larger driver for more bass and damp the 100s with more cotton and remove the felt from the vents and just have the batting discs go right to the edge without being pressed into it. That should open the soundstage on the 100s and the extra cotton should add the dampening I need.

YH-1 and YH-100 have the same size drivers by the way so in my opinion the sound differences are all due to diaphragm tension and magnet strength.

Jun 4, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #10,893 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YH-1 and YH-100 have the same size drivers by the way so in my opinion the sound differences are all due to diaphragm tension and magnet strength.

Ah, then the size of the rear cup and vent sizes are also playing a role, as is the earpad. I know it's not just the magnet and diaphragm alone because my drivers undampened are bass monsters. The YH-100 drivers undampened had less bass. That's the only reason I can think the YH-100s have been so hard to dampen in the past. That also being said, I guess I really need to remove the blu-tak and invest in some Dynamat.

But I wonder what will happen if I replicate the 100's tape scheme on the YH-3s as the rest of the dampening is similar... Or what if I use polyfil on the YH-3s instead of most of the FG to "trick" the driver into thinking it's in a larger enclosure likewe do in speaker building?

Man, dampening these orthos is serious therapy for my ADHD! I just wish the 100s were easier to open up and now I'm considering a ESW9 pad adapter for the YH-3s...

I will prevail!

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #10,894 of 27,179
You have YH-1s that were bass monsters stock? That would point to variation in the top tier of 1st-gen Orthos, and I don't even wanna think about the implications...

The fiberglass-in-a-box trick works because of a heating effect. There's not enough volume in a YH-100 cup for it to work. But it acts as a way to partially remove reflections (quasi-anechoic? sort of), and is useful for that.

Jun 4, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #10,895 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have YH-1s that were bass monsters stock? That would point to variation in the top tier of 1st-gen Orthos, and I don't even wanna think about the implications...

The fiberglass-in-a-box trick works because of a heating effect. There's not enough volume in a YH-100 cup for it to work. But it acts as a way to partially remove reflections (quasi-anechoic? sort of), and is useful for that.

NOPE. YH3 bass monsters!

Ludoo's bass heavy Smeggy felt/ Moorbrook mod was too underdamped! I had to tape the driver and then add Moorbrook in the vents.

Ah, I'll still try the polyfil to see if it improves perceived sound stage, but I know speaker theories just don't apply to headphones.

Jun 5, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #10,896 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan
NOPE. YH3 bass monsters!

Whew! YH-3 bassmonsters I can cope with, and even welcome!

Quote:

Ludoo's bass heavy Smeggy felt/ Moorbrook mod was too underdamped!

It's so hard to get good help these days...

Quote:

I'll still try the polyfil to see if it improves perceived sound stage, but I know speaker theories just don't apply to headphones.

Yup, mostly because headphone dimensions fly under the radar, so to speak. But some speaker tech does apply. For example, waterfall plots and reflections and backwave cancellation and things.

Polyfill won't hurt anything, and may help. I remember trying it on my ATH-1.

Jun 5, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #10,898 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's so hard to get good help these days..

LOL! Not implying that at all, just that my drivers are really loose so a lot of bass. But they're also very, very sensitive to minute changes in the dampening. They keep flipping from over to under to over to under damped with very small changes now. I guess that means I getting close to their maximum performance with the stock pads and stock cable as uncovering 2 holes out of the eight I had covered knocked off the mids and highs a hair too much for me for the relatively lower gain in bass. I noticed my stock pads cover the two outer most rings of holes under the earpad, so I suspect a pad change will really brighten them up and I can remove the tape on the six remaining holes to pick up the bass. Though I'm really not looking forward to the time it will take t carefully remove the stock pads without ripping them. I'll have to do that upstairs where I can listen to the YH100s while peeling them off.

The question is, to improve sound stage, is it better to apply tape to the driver to dampen them and remove the cotton, or vice versa?

And if the YH-100 drivers are the same size, they definitely have different and more numerous holes! I'll take side by side pics next week when I have the time. I'll be away over the weekend up in Chicago, but no time to meet up with any other Head-Fi'ers which sucks because I'd like to meet Doug.

Jun 5, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #10,899 of 27,179
Quote:

A face for a million words

he forced me at guilt point to open up the care package which didn't make it's way to wualta today ( tomorrow I promise
wink.gif
)

..dB

It was oh so worth it..you know you would have felt guilty sending away that headphone without me hearing it.
tongue.gif

And yeah..the picture says it all doesn't it.

O2s were awesome, but this was a total another kind of wow..this was the wow I got when listening to the JH13pros and then some.

Truly she is "the Goddess"

i mean the bass its just phenomenal..its like peeling away the layers on an onion..it just goes on and on..and the mids can't be any sweeter..the best I have heard so far..nothing can touch it
the highs however i feel the stats perhaps do a better job..but the rest is just unparalleled

Thanks so much dB.
L3000.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #10,901 of 27,179
Quote:

u're welcome, it gives me great joy to wantonly share other folks' toys with whoever stops by for coffee
wink.gif
..dB

aah that's what I forgot...thanks for the great coffee again...thanks
beerchug.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:27 AM Post #10,902 of 27,179
Quote:

A face for a million words

Picture272.jpg

When am I gonna get to hear it
images

Nice impressions though Sachu, I wasnt expecting the trebles to be mind blowing, but the bass & mids
very_evil_smiley.gif

Team Yammy!!

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #10,903 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impressions though Sachu, I wasnt expecting the trebles to be mind blowing, but the bass & mids
very_evil_smiley.gif

Team Yammy!!

Man you got the deal of the century.. Your gamble paid off and how... Donald's just awesome..things come to life with his magic touch.

I am so very J of you...trade my ESP-950s for the YH1K?
tongue.gif

Btw, listening to the Whrfedale ID2..have the Leak beside me..surprisingly they sound much better out of the EHHA than the stacker.

After listening to the Yh-1000 on the stacker, the ID2 and Leak sounded like crap. Much better out of the EHHA.

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #10,904 of 27,179
Kabeer has really looked under every rock to find an Yh1K, so its great to hear they sound as good as they should!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed my stock pads cover the two outer most rings of holes under the earpad, so I suspect a pad change will really brighten them up and I can remove the tape on the six remaining holes to pick up the bass. Though I'm really not looking forward to the time it will take t carefully remove the stock pads without ripping them. I'll have to do that upstairs where I can listen to the YH100s while peeling them off.

The question is, to improve sound stage, is it better to apply tape to the driver to dampen them and remove the cotton, or vice versa?

My Grundig also had a pad that muffled the treble. After quick-padding it, I had to redo the damping completely. No discs, dots, tape or other reflexive materials, just good felt. It did wonders to headstage too. Although the Grundig doesn't have so much deep bass. So far, the same mod has not given the Dual that same headstage, and the Dual has more bass, but also is currently vented rather than half-open (It's convertible though).

Jun 5, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #10,905 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am so very J of you...trade my ESP-950s for the YH1K?
tongue.gif

Hehe
tongue.gif
nah, i'm in the process of trying to aqquire a used ESP950 to finally hear what a stat is like. I will then have ESP950 and YH1k.
BUT I will have sucky amplification according to headfi standard (Mini3, SS and stock Koss amp)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kabeer has really looked under every rock to find an Yh1K, so its great to hear they sound as good as they should.

Thanks! Yup searched pretty frikkin hard!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Grundig also had a pad that muffled the treble. After quick-padding it, I had to redo the damping completely.

I'm so glad the pad mod I discovered from T50 has translated as a general rule! Considering most orthos have limp trebles this is definately an avenue ALL of use should look at when modding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back