Orthodynamic Roundup
Jun 1, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #10,846 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by sachu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say it is about 2 inches x 2 inches

The baffle is sealed properly I think. The white material on which the driver is mounted is the baffle and it looks like some kind of rigid plastic (?). The pads are actually very nice..very comfortable.

but foam pads tend to kill all bass with planars! i wonder if they would turn in to a T30 style bass monster with leather pads
ph34r.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #10,847 of 27,158
That driver looks killer - did they give you any specs on the magnet or paterial ( other than it being mylar? - I don't really see traces etched / printed on it ) .

Does someone want to hit up Fang to post a little splurb here ?? ..dB

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #10,848 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That driver looks killer - did they give you any specs on the magnet or paterial ( other than it being mylar? - I don't really see traces etched / printed on it ) .

Ahh so you noticed it
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does someone want to hit up Fang to post a little splurb here ?? ..dB

I am sure he will ..though it seems he is filing for patents as well before he can release details..Expect it to happen more or less at the same time Audeze gets their stuff going.

And Don..the Audeze driver is pretty ****ing sweet and big too
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #10,849 of 27,158
ummm..and guys..do keep in mind that the Audeze LCD-1 is being sold for about half that of the head-direct. Sankar has said that the bare drivers will be made available to those interested. They have 30 pairs of drivers ready. I am sure they are all going to be snapped up pretty fast once they are released.

Also, unless I heard it wrongly, Sankar and Alex have decided to sell the headphone for 399$. A kick ass deal if there ever was one. You better shoot those emails to Sankar if you want a pair from the first rn. I half wonder if they have already been spoken for
tongue.gif

This also has the best potential to tune it to our own ears. The Head-direct one is going to be a PITA to tune (maybe) or really really hard in its current build structure.
I am just really happy to see new orthos out there.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #10,851 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$400 is still a lot of cash though
wink.gif

how did it compare to the nad rp-18 undamped and in the stock housing?

The NAD RP18 was too bright for my tastes..lacking bass as well (compared to the Yamahas and the Audeze)..though the NADRP18 that I heard (cetoole's) was supposedly heavily damped.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #10,852 of 27,158
Quote:

$400 is still a lot of cash though
wink.gif

how did it compare to the nad rp-18 undamped and in the stock housing?

Well yes it is...however you will understand why it costs so much after Sankar reveals details on the driver. It really i a cool looking driver to which they already are implementing upgrades contingent on material availability.

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #10,853 of 27,158
its at times like these i regret becoming a freelance animator, so much to buy yet so little money
frown.gif

i just found what might be a sweet deal on a pair of quad esl 63, but i also want to buy an EHHA kit, and some new orthos.
its so hard to choose
floatsmile.png

Jun 1, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #10,854 of 27,158
Quote:

its at times like these i regret becoming a freelance animator, so much to buy yet so little money
frown.gif

i just found what might be a sweet deal on a pair of quad esl 63, but i also want to buy an EHHA kit, and some new orthos.
its so hard to choose
floatsmile.png

hahah...I feel for you man..make a choice..I am sure you won't be disappointed with which ever you decide to go with..anyways its time I got some sleep..see you chaps later.

Oh and regarding production of Audeze drivers..they can make drivers no problem. They are limited to only 30 headphones. Drivers they can sell 'any number' is what Sankar told me.
Seems they might sell a pair of bare drivers for about 200-225$.

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:00 PM Post #10,855 of 27,158
Quote:

hahah...I feel for you man..make a choice..I am sure you won't be disappointed with which ever you decide to go with..anyways its time I got some sleep..see you chaps later.

Oh and regarding production of Audeze drivers..they can make drivers no problem. They are limited to only 30 headphones. Drivers they can sell 'any number' is what Sankar told me.
Seems they might sell a pair of bare drivers for about 200-225$.

What is the size and shape of the drivers, do you know and can you tell us that? I am thinking foster enclosure here
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #10,856 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by xsankar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wanted to post the near field spectral decay plot of the Audeze LCD-1 headphone.

VERY nice looking waterfall plot, guys, especially for your first try.

$400? That's less than the 1978 NA market Fostex T50 would be in today's dollars-- much less.

I'm pickled tink that you guys have your ears tuned so well that you can immediately spot an underdamped main resonance. It's been one of my pet peeves for years that the average audio consumer is bamboozled by underdamped bass.

Looking forward to getting more info, of course. The Head Direct driver photos look like we're looking at a decorative grille covering a dust shield such as would be found in an electrostat, so that one's a puzzle. Where are the magnets? If they're under that grille they must be quite thin. And yeah, where's the voice coil?

Bjarne, you found the NAD RP18 too bright? did you ever hear it in stock form?

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #10,857 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bjarne, you found the NAD RP18 too bright? did you ever hear it in stock form?

that was sachu, not me
wink.gif

i havent heard the rp-18 myself, but i was wondering how they compared to the Audeze, as they were one of the other orthos present at the meet.
never heard of a bright rp18 though, i always thought they were pretty dark and rolled off at the top, even when heavily damped
confused_face(1).gif

Jun 1, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #10,858 of 27,158
Quote:

And Don..the Audeze driver is pretty ****ing sweet and big too
biggrin.gif

Well, above average size - but if you do the math, 5 square inches means the diameter of the driven surface is about 65mm. Which is T30 territory, iirc.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #10,859 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, above average size - but if you do the math, 5 square inches means the diameter of the driven surface is about 65mm. Which is T30 territory, iirc.

So, its a big instrument that plays deep and tight?

I just removed the driver damping from the rather small instrument in the Eagle, but not the blutak that seals the driver to the baffle, and not the damping over the bass port. Now, it's dark and bassy. It got more of the deeper bass too that's needed for Radiohead - House of Cards.

Jun 1, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #10,860 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to getting more info, of course. The Head Direct driver photos look like we're looking at a decorative grille covering a dust shield such as would be found in an electrostat, so that one's a puzzle. Where are the magnets? If they're under that grille they must be quite thin. And yeah, where's the voice coil?

I thought the magnets were the spiderweb type structure - it looks cast , be surprised if it were just a grill. The shiny dust cover did remind me of the ESP950 dust cover - just never seen anything like it in an ortho and then I assumed that the "thing" we were looking at was the magnet so it made no sense for anything to be spaced between magnet and driver.

I guess we wait and see if anything is ever released for our curious minds..dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back