Orthodynamic Roundup
May 31, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #10,801 of 27,158
The Eagle H4300 cups. As Wualta said, there is a cone in the middle, and then vents around the edges. Ther is also a recession for the driver.
eaglepartscup.jpg

The baffle, with a recession for the driver.
eaglepartsbaffle.jpg

The driver in the recession in the bafle.
eaglepartsbaffledriver.jpg

The driver is mounted in the two recesions, in the cups and in the baffle.

A first mod attempt:
eaglemod.jpg

Damping over the vents, with springy foam to keep it in place. A slightly too small piece of felt to damp the driver. Blutak to seal the baffle. I am still evaluating this mod, but first impression is that it did not work too well. They sound dark but still not deep-bassy. At the same time, they sound closed-in, which means lack of high treble.

EDIT: The Eagle is now on the wikiphonia ( http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki//index....le=Eagle_H4300 )

EDIT2: Now I tried a different damping scheme. They sound a lot airier. I replaced the damping strip with a solid foam strip. I don't know if it seals compeltely but more than felt, for sure. I left one vent hole open with felt in front. I replaced the felt circle with a piece of synthetic cloth for cleaning glasses. It's extremely thin (woven), very dampy, and probably reflects treble too.

May 31, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #10,802 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they look outstanding. Too bad I am team budget ortho.

I remember you asked about NJ meet. I am not sure if I am going to make it, most likely not. I meant to answer but somehow forgot.
frown.gif

May 31, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #10,803 of 27,158
What an interesting day for Orthodynamics!!!

Here is another curiousity, a mono Yamaha HP-50 with a mic! I'm trying to get the owner to give me the model number.
2694283655_e8aaae7ed2_b.jpg

May 31, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #10,805 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^

"Orhtodynamic hotline how may I help you?"

Pretty cool that there are 2 new orthos in the wild. I guess some more info will come forth in time.

Yup those are pretty cool!! Best skype headset around
tongue.gif

Cant wait for more substantial info on the two orthos as well

May 31, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #10,806 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Audeze Planars

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0106.jpg

Also listened to the Head-direct planars side-by-side using the Headamp GS-X and Neko Audio DAC. I slightly prefered the Audeze on sound alone and with price factored in (Audeze: $350-$4000; Head-Direct: $700-1000). Remember, however, that both of these are prototypes. The first 25 Audeze units will look like the above, using the off-the-shelf housing. The housing limits the driver and I was told they will also sell the drivers, but pricing was indeterminate. If you angle the drivers so the front is closer to the skull than the back the sound improves and IMO that is the direction they need to go with these.

There was another quote of how they "msotly" kept pace with the O2's but I can't seem to find it now

Proof that our lads are there but just having too much fun

dsc02433.jpg

trust Kab to sneak in before I could finish typing
smily_headphones1.gif
..dB

May 31, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #10,809 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BMF - that stuff is not micropore - it's ophthalmic tape , not tried it but I anticipate it to be more of a reflex dot than micropore .

Hmmm... well it has small holes in it and it really dampens the drivers. Oh well, it worked!

May 31, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #10,811 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, those Audeze prototypes look like they've led a harsh life.

Man,they couldn't spring for a brand new foster phone? At CanJam to make their debut?

There are features I like on head-direct's orthos, but others I don't. Are we assuming he's using SFI drivers like everyone else? But angle closed cell foam pads? To Grado sandpaper'ish for me...

Jun 1, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #10,815 of 27,158
Quote:

Originally Posted by troopers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've got this item from Ebay last night.... Sansui SS-L55
it's look like my ATH-2... is this item orthodynamic?

It says dynamic stereo headphones not sure if that means it has to be dynamic but just pointing that out. Guess the only way to tell is to open them up and see?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back