Orthodynamic Roundup
May 31, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #10,786 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are 8ohm SFI's out there that are unipolar - I have toyed with the idea of buying a pair and then gutting them to make dipoles.

one day ........ dB

ps DAC - those look really great

This is a dipole through.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If it's not kind of bassy and dull sounding, let's hope it's got a leaky baffle or something that when fixed will make it bassy. Don't forget to damp the vents. Markse never got around to damping his, but the Eagle's internal design is clever-- there's a cone that bounces the backwave away from the diaphragm.

I've opened one cup now. There is no damping, and the driver is not sealed to the baffle. It is just placed in a recession in the baffle.
It looks like there is just about no room for driver damping, because of the cone. I could use something very thin, or make a hole for the cone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, pics will follow later. I have them, just need to upload them tomorrow morning. Crashing for the night.

Cool! Is headstage good?

May 31, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #10,787 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And the result was exactly what I hoped for! Great bass to go with the sweet mids and highs. I'm in awe of the sound, and most importantly for me, pianos sound like live pianos! WOOT! WOOT! Thanks Ludoo, cetoole, and dB, but especially Kabeer for pushing me to mod them!
beerchug.gif

Congrats!!
biggrin.gif

It's all part of my evil plan to convert you to the Yamaha side, mwahahaa
evil_smiley.gif
But really, hope you can succesfully mod all the others in your house too.

May 31, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #10,788 of 27,179
Those new planar magnetics that Head-Direct was showing off at CanJam are a winner. I think they are very expensive, maybe $800, but they sounded very nice. I need more time with them Sunday before going home, and the only impressions I can give is they are very clean, crisp, natural and transparent, and totally unlike a stock Yamaha or modded vintage ortho - they were better. They reminded me a bit of my Smegma Pros. They are also still harder to drive than dynamics, but the EF1 had enough power to deliver a warm full rich strong performance, while the EF2 struggled a bit and would not be my choice.

May 31, 2009 at 9:59 AM Post #10,789 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those new planar magnetics that Head-Direct was showing off at CanJam are a winner. I think they are very expensive, maybe $800, but they sounded very nice. I need more time with them Sunday before going home, and the only impressions I can give is they are very clean, crisp, natural and transparent, and totally unlike a stock Yamaha or modded vintage ortho - they were better. They reminded me a bit of my Smegma Pros. They are also still harder to drive than dynamics, but the EF1 had enough power to deliver a warm full rich strong performance, while the EF2 struggled a bit and would not be my choice.

Head-Direct?? Do you mean Audeze...as thats the only company we know of developing a new Planar magnetic.
And I dont like the sound of that $800....
frown.gif
(for us cheapo's wallet's), i'm hoping thats just a total guess you plucked out of the air....

How was the magnitude of deep bass/bass?

May 31, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #10,791 of 27,179
DAC , what is the diameter of that driver - looks awful like the YH5 driver structure.

Great news on the new planars HA , you have any pictures to share with us? I had heard a $400 figure mentioned at the other place but it was also here-say ( note how close that is to heresy
biggrin.gif
)

..dB

May 31, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #10,792 of 27,179
Quote:

DAC , what is the diameter of that driver - looks awful like the YH5 driver structure.
..dB

A closeup so that you can see more details :)
eagledrivercloseup.jpg

It's 38mm. (I did not measure so carefully, but I think that was it.)

May 31, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #10,794 of 27,179
Quote:

Great news on the new planars HA , you have any pictures to share with us? I had heard a $400 figure mentioned at the other place but it was also here-say ( note how close that is to heresy
biggrin.gif
)

..dB

these look to be head direct orthos:

3580285979_ebc36893a0.jpg

May 31, 2009 at 3:07 PM Post #10,795 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cool! Is headstage good?

It's good for a closed can, but not close to my K601s or cetoole's QP400s. I'm hoping a new cable helps a little...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats!!
biggrin.gif

It's all part of my evil plan to convert you to the Yamaha side, mwahahaa
evil_smiley.gif
But really, hope you can succesfully mod all the others in your house too.

Thanks.

Here are the pics, sorry the first is blurry,but the details show up well enough:

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2432.jpg

May 31, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #10,797 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those look great! (Two of them? More?)
Are there now two producers of orthos, or is head direct the same as the ones Kabeer has been talking about?

There seems to be two different models, the one in the pic looks to be head direct model. Not sure if it defiantly the one. Will need to wait for more pics from the front lines.

May 31, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #10,798 of 27,179
BMF - that stuff is not micropore - it's ophthalmic tape , not tried it but I anticipate it to be more of a reflex dot than micropore .

I didn't know head direct was experimenting with orthos - I am very curious now ..dB

May 31, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #10,799 of 27,179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
these look to be head direct orthos:

3580285979_ebc36893a0.jpg

That was the head-direct orthos, which I think were called HE5 I think. Fang was guessing on a ball bark price retail price talking to someone else and I was eavesdropping on the conversation. It sounded very nice on an EF1 amp, kinda like a more balanced sounding RS-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back