Orthodynamic Roundup
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #26,896 of 27,141
A full size planar with actual soundstage??
I agree to some extent, but you don't think the uber large planars have soundstage? Hifiman Arya's have a very grand scale to the image and impeccable image depth and imaging, imho. I guess these look like HD800's which arguably put you further back in the stage than any other headphone to date, so if going by that definition soundstage I see your point. If these can create a sense of distance between you and the music that would be really really neat, and maybe in a way, in order to do that you need a physically smaller driver. My transplanted YHD-3's can do this to some extent given their small 40mm proportion and distance/angle from the ear.

And hard to tell if these are center pinned and/or non-tensioned.
I can't tell, either. Looks like much thicker tracing than the vintage boys, though. I hope they were able to recreate the YH-100's lush, thick, organic sound, as well as transparency and reactiveness to system changes such as amps, cables and DAC. A recent headphone I built seems to have less system dependency than YH-100's even though they are more detailed. I like being able to pick apart my gear through the headphones, actually a cool part of the hobby for me. 34 Ohm's and double sided neo magnets means probably amazing sensitivity. Somehow it's a little sad when stuff sounds great through your phone, haha, I like plugging into my "alter for music worship" and feeling like I built a good system. Maybe this is why some planars are seemingly built to be hard to drive. Maybe just a conspiracy theorist.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #26,897 of 27,141
I agree to some extent, but you don't think the uber large planars have soundstage? Hifiman Arya's have a very grand scale to the image and impeccable image depth and imaging, imho. I guess these look like HD800's which arguably put you further back in the stage than any other headphone to date, so if going by that definition soundstage I see your point. If these can create a sense of distance between you and the music that would be really really neat, and maybe in a way, in order to do that you need a physically smaller driver. My transplanted YHD-3's can do this to some extent given their small 40mm proportion and distance/angle from the ear.
Yeah, that was pretty much my trail of thought.
I always get the feeling the large planars have this slightly off 'wall of sound' which is nice in it's own way, but dynamic soundstage just feels more natural to me... maybe... it's not really that important anyway, I like all the flavours.

Oh, and I see you've got your custom title :thumbsup:
Been a long time since I've seen anyone got one of those.
What's a guy gotta do to get a custom title around here?... creating a website with vintage headphone measurements clearly doesn't cut it :p (jk)

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #26,898 of 27,141
Oh, and I see you've got your custom title :thumbsup:
Been a long time since I've seen anyone got one of those.
What's a guy gotta do to get a custom title around here?... creating a website with vintage headphone measurements clearly doesn't cut it :p (jk)
Hahaha. Thanks. And to answer your question, you need a good friend to beg a moderator. :laughing: I'm sorry your website is not getting the credit it deserves. Honestly I hadn't looked in your sig and noticed it until now, seems really really cool. To be fair, I think our little hole in the wall Ortho Roundup thread goes mostly skimmed over by mods and general members. Hard to get noticed in here.

Sep 19, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #26,899 of 27,141
Love everyone's Yamaha love (I do have three of them gifted by my audio friends)!

Here are a few observations and speculations about YH-5000SE.

1. Based on Yamaha's diagram, I do agree that their ortho drivers may share lots of similarities with Final Audio's D8000/D8000Pro -- although I am doubting direct collaboration.
2. Floating 50mm driver size can be equivalent to larger size tensioned planar drivers. That was initially claimed by Final Audio in their white paper. The empirical evidence more or less supported it. Both D8000 and D8000 pro had fairly good low bass extension. Very slightly attenuated in the lowest register (both in measurements and in my perception) compared to totls though. I'm also very curious if Yamaha comes up with something similar to Final's AFDS.
4. 320g weight is very welcoming from comfort perspectives.. but considering D8000's weight was around 520g, I am a little concerned with magnet strengths. While I agree with they use dual sided magnets, I'm pretty sure they're asymmetric. This is not bad per se (proven by modern planar totls). But how they skillfully mixed weaker magnets with stronger ones would matter.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #26,903 of 27,141
@Currawong ’s convention impressions:
My initial listen with the hybrid pad set from a Hugo 2/2go revealed a spacious sound with plenty of bass, and quite an amount of detail. They are also very light-weight and very comfortable.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-yamaha-yh-5000-orthodynamic-headphones.965099/

“Plenty of bass” is surprising considering its a relatively small driver in what looks like a very open enclosure like HD800. I bet the Yam is not as open as it appears.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #26,904 of 27,141
I really would have liked to have an hour with them at least. Only 46 people during the day got to try them. I should be able to do a full review once they start manufacture.

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #26,905 of 27,141
I barely am around here these days, but saw @Currawong 's post on facebook about the YH-5000. I am amazed this is happening and very excited to hear one if I can. I also contacted Yamaha probably close to a decade ago around them getting back into the ortho game. I tried (unsuccessfully) here to try build up a petition for them to start again so am so pleased this is happening.

In my opinion Yamaha are some of the very best orthodynamics around, and (until the YH-5000 proves otherwise) they had drivers which presented music in a way that no other ortho or headphone could. If they didn't lose all the lessons from the 1970s and 80s this could be very interesting.

Sep 30, 2022 at 8:01 AM Post #26,906 of 27,141
Agree, storage condition plays a huge role. My ECR400, 500, aurex 810, ATH-8 and K4 work just fine after all the years. It also depends on where the bias is stored as well, seems like backelectret are less likely to die in my experience (aka spending too much time browsing auctions sites)
Without derailing this thread too much... How does the ECR400 sound with respect to the ECR500?

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #26,907 of 27,141
Gentlemen, I am into sfi seventeens lately.

I have come across the following versions in the past weeks spent with research: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

They were made for more than a decade according to our favorite online database, so there may be other variants. If you have information about any further iterations, please, let me know. Thanks

Oct 6, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #26,909 of 27,141
Oct 6, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #26,910 of 27,141
@szerecsen Ive seen those variants pop up
on eBay every once in awhile. Sorry but Ive not kept track of the model names.

If keen you can still get NOS drivers (thanks @dBel84 for link):
https://speakeraddict.com/products/...bon-tweeters-or-orthodynamic-headphone-driver
well, indeed i am keen
this is where i stand so far
317.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back