Orthodynamic Roundup
Jul 24, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #26,866 of 27,137
Fostex T10
- the best stock vintage ortho
- its just not spectacular in any way, vanilla .... Outside of being remarkably flat. I guess besides that its biggest strength is being inoffensive.
- I've never reached for this headphone. However, the two I've owned have been in bleh condition. The first one had terribly worn pads that made it uncomfortable to wear. And this set has a messed up cable that makes it a pain to use. So, if they were in better condition then ya I might use. But in this case these are for donation pile.
- my fpc tends to measure things as a little less bassy compared to my EARS, its the compensation curve, but which is more correct - idunno.

Im going through and measuring my headphones on my rebuilt flat plate coupler rig to compare to the first iteration of this rig. This v2 tends to show a little less highs than previously. One cause for this difference could simply be in the position of the mic's depth in the coupler... I've experimented with different depths +- and result was highs are mainly and majorly effected even with just a difference of 1-2mm.

Before I move onto to the next headphone I will have a quick listen and maybe add some new subjectives from my current perspective.

Attachments

• Fostex T10 fpc.jpg
    Fostex T10 fpc.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 8:24 AM Post #26,867 of 27,137
If anyone thinking of getting vesper for their Sansui ss100 and wonder if he should (or any flat earpads to mimic the original fostex t50 earpads)
Got vesper earpads for my sansui ss100, it was made with the following: 85mm outer, 30 inner hole, 14mm thickness, cooling gel +memory foam

I would recommend just getting the normal soft foam, what I chose is not very soft and not ideal for this thickness.
also regarding the thickness, since memory+gel is less soft 14mm might work out just fine, but still imo 10-12mm would be more ideal even with softer foam, any more and you're risking the treble getting just hot enough to ruin the great tuning.
Important note specifically for the the ss100, tell them to make it 83mm and not 85, mine do not for perfectly on the recessed lip,
the actual dimeter of the earpad is 86-87mm
*this note might apply to any earpads from Vesper, but this might be an intentional oversize for headphones that fit their earpads with a "lip" rather than double side adhesive like the ss100.

Attachments

• IMG_20220724_152137.jpg
    IMG_20220724_152137.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #26,868 of 27,137
Before I move onto to the next headphone I will have a quick listen and maybe add some new subjectives from my current perspective.
They are cleaner sounding than Yamahas (stock). T10 bass is too tight and light. Id almost place Yamaha YH-2 as best stock vintage ortho. YH-2 has better tone (downward sloping). However, YH-2 suffers from mids resonance (stock) so for me that holds back my recommending YH2 over T10.

Im going to try padrolling T10 to get more bbbass.

Aug 20, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #26,869 of 27,137
Didn't want to to jump in conclusion but after few weeks can confidently say that the SR009 earpads I got from Vesper (along with the ss100 earpads) as a gamble works extremely well imo, did modify the outer size to 105mm (original is 110mm) but would recommend 102mm if anyone end up getting them after my post for some reason, see my earlier post on the page to understand why.
Leather and regular soft foam were the specs other than that.
In short about the change: much more pleasant on the ears to listen to, they will clamp you as much as the carbon headband Audeze headphones because of the thick earpad.

While Im at it on the RP18, i had to change the yellow biscuits at the back, after a lot of trial and error i found a cloth that seems to mimic the bass response of the original, but it does change the upper fr`s , and the change was for the better for me, here is a "do not actually trust this measurement" measurement to show the effect more or less, if anyone extra curious feel free to contact me I can send you some cloth I still have.

green is original yellow biscuits , purple is the new cloth

Attachments

• 1661041681972.png
    1661041681972.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 0
Aug 23, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #26,870 of 27,137
Hi all!

On air heading "Debunk the legends"
As we know, the world's first orthodynamic headphones were released by the Dutch company Peerless, after the takeover of the German company MB Quard. And at once 2 models Peerless PMB 6 with a 44 mm driver, and Peerless PMB 8 with a 55 mm driver.
There was an opinion that Yamaha in their Yamaha HP-1 models is a 55 mm driver. and in the Yamaha HP-2/HP-3, a 44mm driver. either copied the Peerless drivers or released those drivers under a Peerless license.
I just happened to have headphones at the same time:
1) Peerless PMB 6 with 44mm driver.
2) Yamaha HP-3 with 44mm driver.
Compare?

As we can see, the shape of the magnet and the holes in the magnet are different, and even if the radiating film itself is 100% the same, the sound will still be different.
So Yamaha released drivers, although similar to Peerless, but still of their own design.

P.S. As the Peerless PMB 8 and Yamaha HP-1 with a 55 mm driver will be on hand at the same time, I will definitely compare these headphone models.

Thank you all for your attention..

Attachments

• PXL_20220823_223842466.jpg
    PXL_20220823_223842466.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010779.JPG
    P1010779.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P1010781.JPG
    P1010781.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 0
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #26,871 of 27,137
Hi all!

On air heading "Debunk the legends"
As we know, the world's first orthodynamic headphones were released by the Dutch company Peerless, after the takeover of the German company MB Quard. And at once 2 models Peerless PMB 6 with a 44 mm driver, and Peerless PMB 8 with a 55 mm driver.
There was an opinion that Yamaha in their Yamaha HP-1 models is a 55 mm driver. and in the Yamaha HP-2/HP-3, a 44mm driver. either copied the Peerless drivers or released those drivers under a Peerless license.
I just happened to have headphones at the same time:
1) Peerless PMB 6 with 44mm driver.
2) Yamaha HP-3 with 44mm driver.
Compare?

As we can see, the shape of the magnet and the holes in the magnet are different, and even if the radiating film itself is 100% the same, the sound will still be different.
So Yamaha released drivers, although similar to Peerless, but still of their own design.

P.S. As the Peerless PMB 8 and Yamaha HP-1 with a 55 mm driver will be on hand at the same time, I will definitely compare these headphone models.

Thank you all for your attention..
I thought the world first was by Wharfedale

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #26,872 of 27,137
I thought the world first was by Wharfedale
I thought so too. Maybe he means this particular format of spiral trace/center pinched?

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #26,874 of 27,137
The Yamaha HP-1's sound more refined when I compare to B&O U70's, I'm guessing Yamaha's are similarly more refined compared to Peerless counterparts, but that's just a hunch. I feel transplanting these drivers away from stock enclosures reduces housing reflections and boosts clarity considerably so with careful modding makes comparisons much easier and more discerning. Will be interesting to hear your impressions @Promick .

Aug 30, 2022 at 10:53 PM Post #26,878 of 27,137
The Aurex are very pretty cans and Ive been tempted to buy before because of the looks. They are not ortho obviously, these pics might be better appreciated in the vintage headphone thread. btw are the cups metal or plastic?
Plastic and metal. Where's the thread or vintage headphone here?

Aug 30, 2022 at 11:22 PM Post #26,879 of 27,137
I got an Aurex vintage can. An Electret condenser headphone.
I once took an Audio-Technica electret that had transformers in the earcups and modified them to plug into a cheap electret energizer box for K-Mart electrets (Numark brand, I removed stock transformers entirely) and they actually sounded a fair bit better, imho. Might be worth a shot looking for cheap electret energizer for these and rewiring for a Stax plug or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back