Orthodynamic Roundup
May 6, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #22,936 of 27,137

The peerless U70 drivers themselves have A LOT of potential IMO - just NOT in the U70 shell. 
When I held naked the drivers against my ears, they sounded really quite good. 

Well, agree with the first part - bought four of them just for drivers, made custom wooden shells etc. But one u70 remained, and I know what's the main problem with this - driver is totally closed and just needs some air - simple overdamping, there is even thick felt here already, two discs on each driver. Basically, few holes around perimeter, under aluminium cover, can make those sing. And new earpads, of course. Will post some pictures soon.

Hmm.... I also tried the U70 out with new pleather earpads and just left the aluminium backs off (stuck the drivers down with a bit of tack around the edges) and it didn't sound so good to me. More airy, yes... but nothing worthy of praise.
I also tried out some light damping with open backs, but no good came of it. I'm interested to see what you came up with - they're ridiculously easy to mod, so I might try something out inspired by your work.

May 6, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #22,938 of 27,137
May 6, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #22,940 of 27,137
Sealed the driver to the baffle using blu-tak.
Replaced the dynamat with paxmate to fill the hole in the back of the cup.
Put a circle of Arctic Cotton (thanks Nick N) on top of the paxmate.
Put a merino wool felt donut on top of the AC.
Cut out part of the baffle. (I lost some of the screws)
Overall improvements:
Less muffled sound and more airy-sounding.
Tighter bass and more of it.

So now it's pretty much a semi-open-back pair of headphones 
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #22,941 of 27,137

Well, agree with the first part - bought four of them just for drivers, made custom wooden shells etc. But one u70 remained, and I know what's the main problem with this - driver is totally closed and just needs some air - simple overdamping, there is even thick felt here already, two discs on each driver. Basically, few holes around perimeter, under aluminium cover, can make those sing. And new earpads, of course. Will post some pictures soon.

just some persistence needed:)
and I meant real leather memory foam earpads, with soft felt inside.

I would like to see these custom wood hp's. How about a couple pictures of the leather pads too.

May 6, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #22,942 of 27,137
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket 

Sealed the driver to the baffle using blu-tak.
  Replaced the dynamat with paxmate to fill the hole in the back of the cup.
  Put a circle of Arctic Cotton (thanks Nick N) on top of the paxmate.
  Put a merino wool felt donut on top of the AC.
Cut out part of the baffle. (I lost some of the screws)

Overall improvements:
Less muffled sound and more airy-sounding.
Tighter bass and more of it.

So now it's pretty much a semi-open-back pair of headphones 
biggrin.gif

If you are playing around with materials don't forget to hold them up to a light and look through them. It's fun. Blowing through them also ..just don't let people see you in stores doing that/. Makes me want to look into some of that style also.

May 11, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #22,948 of 27,137

Is that brown blutak? You also mentioned holes to make the drivers breathe, would be interesting to know where you put them. In my U70, the damping felt was circular, not square, and I think only one each of them. Ear pads look like a perfect solution, not to thick, not airtight, and with a controlled central opening (not too large, causing cavity resonances).

So how do they sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back