Orthodynamic Roundup
May 1, 2014 at 5:09 AM Post #22,906 of 27,158

It was. Why?

Srajan, on 6 Moons site, is about to review the Oppos and in his preview had written this 
"If we establish a rough time line, first there were Pioneer and Yamaha and their lot way back when this type of headphone was still called orthodynamic."
I told him that I thought Wharfedales were first, but he didn't know for sure.
was just sticking up for Wharfedales as I love mine!

May 1, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #22,907 of 27,158
  Srajan, on 6 Moons site, is about to review the Oppos and in his preview had written this 
"If we establish a rough time line, first there were Pioneer and Yamaha and their lot way back when this type of headphone was still called orthodynamic."
I told him that I thought Wharfedales were first, but he didn't know for sure.
was just sticking up for Wharfedales as I love mine!

Well, you were right about that, and Pioneer did not make any planar magnetic phones. Srajan might want to head over to the wikiphonia?

May 1, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #22,915 of 27,158
I was thinking about your views about Bayerdynamic being better than he400 and was thinking after looking at your amp inventory that you may benefit from a more powerful desktop amp instead of fiio. Don't know much about fiio but it may not have the power needed for he to get the full range. IMO of course

May 1, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #22,916 of 27,158
The HE400 does well on the fiio and the little bear, as well as out of the Yamaha. However it's more of a bass head headphone, and delivers plenty of it. It just can't hold a candle to the 990pro. The t50rp handles treble and vocals better but doesn't really have the low end rumble the he400 or the 900pro does. In movies the he400 tumbles on vocals, sounding hollow. Games however is where the he400 shines. In skyrim fighting a dragon is very pleasing on the he 400. However that changed when the 900pro arrived. The 900pro is my top end, with the he400 coming in second for the full range of use. All depends on what I'm doing. To me and to my ears the 990pro is the best of what I have. Nothing wrong with the 400, it's not a bad phone at all. The only phone I truly regret buying is the koss ur55.

May 1, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #22,917 of 27,158
I'm just saying it may take something more like a desktop amp to make it shine. I'm sure the fiio is fine. I've never tried it. But try a more powerful desktop amp for some time before you make up your mind. I really like my Musical Fidelity v-can and it has no problem with my he5le, which need lots of power. I just think you should try. Who knows? You may think of the 400 differently.

May 1, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #22,918 of 27,158
Several ortho lovers told me that mids were recessed on the HE400, quite a disgrace for an ortho
tongue.gif

May 1, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #22,919 of 27,158
Both dt990 and trp50 are studio headphones. They should sound good, but are usually flatter or less colored than phones made for home use. I imagine when going from studio phones to home audio phones you will feel like you're missing or hearing higher levels of certain frequencies. I guess the modding of the trp is how people are giving color to a flatter phone. which is also why some people don't buy modded phones as the mod sound is best for the modder and maybe not so good for the buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back