Orthodynamic Roundup
May 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #22,921 of 27,137
Also, this how XB600 pads looks like on T30:

Bit smaller than need to be, but very soft and comfortable.

look comfy enough, care to share other angle with the opening pads view ?

As much as I like beyerdynamic. And as much as I love planars, I wish Beyerdynamic made a planar. I doubt they will being dynamic is in their name. But so far my dt 990pro kicks the crap out of both my newer planars the t50rp and the he 400. Leaving only the Yamaha he2 to take it on.

You must be joking.

if saying planar in global (again), i believe Beyerdynamic have made a planar based cans back in 1976..an electrostatic, it is...
http://wiki.faust3d.com/wiki/index.php?title=Beyerdynamic_ET-1000_system

May 2, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #22,922 of 27,137
  Does it sound like the hp2 or 3?

I haven't had a HP50 (HP3) for quite some time, so I don't know - my audio memory is unreliable. On the O2 amp, The model 6 is somewhat bright, with sub-bass kicking in at a listening volume that is just slightly higher than I prefer.
I will try it with a bigger amp / dac later today.

May 2, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #22,924 of 27,137

I haven't had a HP50 (HP3) for quite some time, so I don't know - my audio memory is unreliable. On the O2 amp, The model 6 is somewhat bright, with sub-bass kicking in at a listening volume that is just slightly higher than I prefer.
I will try it with a bigger amp / dac later today.

You could bring the bass up by playing with the dampening materials. I really like my O2, I use it plugged into 18vac mains adapter. There were a few changes i made in part selection when i built it, used some larger caps in the power supply section and something else i don't recall but i think the outcome was a little bit of a bass boost over stock parts. It sounds great with my T50rp's (and T40rp which sound the same) but its not so good with my vintage Russian(Ukrainian?) EXO 16 Ortho, they are already so bass heavy I really have to use a EQ to make it sound good.

May 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #22,926 of 27,137
  You could bring the bass up by playing with the dampening materials. I really like my O2, I use it plugged into 18vac mains adapter. There were a few changes i made in part selection when i built it, used some larger caps in the power supply section and something else i don't recall but i think the outcome was a little bit of a bass boost over stock parts. It sounds great with my T50rp's (and T40rp which sound the same) but its not so good with my vintage Russian(Ukrainian?) EXO 16 Ortho, they are already so bass heavy I really have to use a EQ to make it sound good.

I could - since it's slightly hot now, bass can be slightly tuned up without the sound going all closed-in. 
The problem is the pads - they are about 30 years old so the seams could be a bit fragile.

May 3, 2014 at 12:06 PM Post #22,927 of 27,137
other angle with the opening pads view ?

Not shure if XB800 bigger than XB600, but if so, XB800 pads would fit T30 just perfect.

aha, i c..then XB series pads are the most comfy that available for replacement pads on T30's..
agree? :wink:

how about the sonic differences from the stock pads?

May 3, 2014 at 12:53 PM Post #22,928 of 27,137
I just like those memory foam on-ear type pads. Philips also have the same, not shure if they have that big though. Can't say that is much difference in sound between stock, Shure or Sony pads, but with Sony bass is bit deeper as they providing better sealing. Now I only need foldable headband. Can anyone suggest open-back cans that might fit T30s drivers?

May 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #22,929 of 27,137

I could - since it's slightly hot now, bass can be slightly tuned up without the sound going all closed-in. 
The problem is the pads - they are about 30 years old so the seams could be a bit fragile.

Well in that case maybe you just need new pads, you probably already know this but if the seal around your ear is broken then bass disappears. New pads and replacing the dampening materiel not only made my vintage othro's sound better, it also helps get rid of that old smell. The foam dampening in my YH-3 was goo when i swapped it out for some felt. 

May 4, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #22,930 of 27,137
I just like those memory foam on-ear type pads. Philips also have the same, not shure if they have that big though. Can't say that is much difference in sound between stock, Shure or Sony pads, but with Sony bass is bit deeper as they providing better sealing. Now I only need foldable headband. Can anyone suggest open-back cans that might fit T30s drivers?

i see, so its quite like mine with the XB500 pads..add beautiful lower extension&great sealing..

for the headband, i have try just yet but maybe you might want to replace the headband only than swap it to different housing..its gonna need a lot of work to put the T30 capsule driver since its already built-in with baffles&grill..cmiiw

May 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #22,932 of 27,137
  Well in that case maybe you just need new pads, you probably already know this but if the seal around your ear is broken then bass disappears. New pads and replacing the dampening materiel not only made my vintage othro's sound better, it also helps get rid of that old smell. The foam dampening in my YH-3 was goo when i swapped it out for some felt. 

I have heard about this effect of swapping pads (they are not broken though, just probably a bit fragile since they are old). Are there any particular pads that you recommend?

Great find, and probably the only PMB headphone with intact pads (except my U70, of course). Elevated midrange?

It appears that the highs are elevated on these - I need to do some more careful listening.

Did you post a picture of that U70 of yours?

May 5, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #22,933 of 27,137

Great find, and probably the only PMB headphone with intact pads (except my U70, of course). Elevated midrange?

Quote:

It appears that the highs are elevated on these - I need to do some more careful listening.

Did you post a picture of that U70 of yours?

Original pads of the B&O U70, got a feeling they gonna flake any minute:

Does anyone know a treatment for this moisture-attracting polyurethane pleather?

Pads from blatant, cheap WESC copies of Jacob Jensen's original design (the U70 is exhibited in the Museum of Modern Art), neither good sounding nor comfortable:

Custom made pads, decent but not perfect:

May return to these beasts when time permits, worked on them a couple of years ago. They need fine tuning of all registers. I believe someone made successful transplants of the drivers recently in this thread, so the potential is there.

May 5, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #22,934 of 27,137
The peerless U70 drivers themselves have A LOT of potential IMO - just NOT in the U70 shell. 
When I held naked the drivers against my ears, they sounded really quite good. 

May 6, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #22,935 of 27,137
  The peerless U70 drivers themselves have A LOT of potential IMO - just NOT in the U70 shell. 
When I held naked the drivers against my ears, they sounded really quite good. 

Well, agree with the first part - bought four of them just for drivers, made custom wooden shells etc. But one u70 remained, and I know what's the main problem with this - driver is totally closed and just needs some air - simple overdamping, there is even thick felt here already, two discs on each driver. Basically, few holes around perimeter, under aluminium cover, can make those sing. And new earpads, of course. Will post some pictures soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back