Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1521

post #22801 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

Very interesting, I can't seem to find it again. I noticed it a while ago on these forums but the search isn't turning anything up. He drew a trace on the foil with a sharpie, glued it to the plastic, then melted it off with trace etcher. He made two of them and made a headphone out of it...

 

Seems like the process is kinda simple,you just need to have the right equipment, so it may be possible to doo.

post #22802 of 23596

 

 

 

 

well, made some custom orthos too - sfi (ath) and pmb drivers, elm wood (european version of zelkova), non-reflective earpads - soft felt inside, real leather outside. that se40 has some added mass to support the driver too. rca detachable cables - can recable them on my head, very easy to compare cables.


Edited by ballhead - 4/13/14 at 2:07pm
post #22803 of 23596

^ incredible stylings there thanks for the inspiration.:beerchug:

 

 

 

I know someone who is developing a driver ( nobody from here ) and to make anything decent it sure is a lot more involved than that, much more than food wrap and horsegrease, unless you want it to sound like it would look.

If there were that many doing it as you say in here:"in fact quite a few users have done so", then a search should turn those up.


Edited by nick n - 4/13/14 at 2:24pm
post #22804 of 23596

i don't see any point in doing driver from scratch, if it will be nothing better or different. it could be done as photoprint, by hand it's just nonsense. but ancient orthos are relativelly cheap, and their drivers are really good (shells and earpads crappy).

post #22805 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballhead View Post
 

 

 

 

 

well, made some custom orthos too - sfi (ath) and pmb drivers, elm wood (european version of zelkova), non-reflective earpads - soft felt inside, real leather outside. that se40 has some added mass to support the driver too. rca detachable cables - can recable them on my head, very easy to compare cables.

 

i must say the idea of using RCA cables directly on headphone is amazing, they are pretty easy to find and seem like they can support a good amount of power.

post #22806 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballhead View Post
 

i don't see any point in doing driver from scratch, if it will be nothing better or different. it could be done as photoprint, by hand it's just nonsense. but ancient orthos are relativelly cheap, and their drivers are really good (shells and earpads crappy).

 

The orthodynamic technology seem to not have changed so much since it's invention...

post #22807 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post
 

^ incredible stylings there thanks for the inspiration.:beerchug:

 

i was thinking about acoustics as a priority, stylings just a side effect :) they are quite complicated inside, and sounding really good. my friend has a specialized headphone shop,

i can compare with anything. few pictures of the insides at testing state, no empty space and no internal reflections in finished headphones.

 

 

 


Edited by ballhead - 4/13/14 at 2:42pm
post #22808 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creato938 View Post
 

 

The orthodynamic technology seem to not have changed so much since it's invention...


basic idea is similar but materials and designs still seem to be going through changes.

 

The top picture there is that a PMB driver? From?


Edited by nick n - 4/13/14 at 2:42pm
post #22809 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post
 


basic idea is similar but materials and designs still seem to be going through changes.

 

The top picture there is that a PMB driver? From?

pmb from b&o u70, 55mm, small holes. there seems to be a bad oppinion about this version, just because u70 sounds really ****ty. most ancient orthos need dampening, but u70 has two layers of thick felt already. just some air, few small holes at the perimeter can do wonders. and this driver can be bassy as hell, if needed. so - secret revealed, prices will go up:)


Edited by ballhead - 4/13/14 at 3:06pm
post #22810 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballhead View Post
 

pmb from b&o u70, 55mm, small holes. there seems to be a bad oppinion about this version, just because u70 sounds really ****ty. most ancient orthos need dampening, but u70 has two layers of thick felt already. just some air, few small holes at the perimeter can do wonders. and this driver can be bassy as hell, if needed. so - secret revealed, prices will go up:)

 

Interesting how small the driver really is, and who good these vintage drivers can be with some dampening, seem like a good DIY project.

post #22811 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creato938 View Post
 

 

Interesting how small the driver really is, and who good these vintage drivers can be with some dampening, seem like a good DIY project.


pmb's are 55mm, russian clones from tds too, and yamaha's yh-1 or hp-1 about that; smallest and most sensitive are ath-2 drivers or sawafuji (sfi) tweeters - about 39mm. you can find sfi at germanbay, easiest way to start tinkering. they are good enough, no worry.


Edited by ballhead - 4/13/14 at 4:02pm
post #22812 of 23596
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballhead View Post
 


pmb's are 55mm, russian clones from tds too, and yamaha's yh-1 or hp-1 about that; smallest and most sensitive are ath-2 drivers or sawafuji (sfi) tweeters - about 39mm. you can find sfi at germanbay, easiest way to start tinkering. they are good enough, no worry.

 

The most complicate part of a headphone, is in fact the driver, but if you can but it, is a good start, and making a custom one, using your own parts and styling, like ballhead did, even using RCA connectors, it's a nice DIY project for a good time.

post #22813 of 23596

@ballhead - Welcome to head-fi and nice work on those complex wooden cups.

 

 

post #22814 of 23596

Still he has a valid point.

 Tyll Hertsens:  "The correct term to refer to this type of headphone is planar magnetic. Unfortunately, all of Headphonedom calls them Orthodynamic"

post #22815 of 23596

I sometimes call planar magnetics "orthos" because there's no way to abbreviate "planar magnetic". "Planar" can mean planar electrostatic too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup