Orthodynamic Roundup
May 13, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #22,966 of 27,137
So I replaced the wool donut with arctic cotton today, unsealed the driver from the baffle and made a small hole in the pads. I'm going to reseal the driver later today along with drilling the above holes as I suspect that it's the main reason why the bass quantity hasn't really changed. I don't have any access to open-cell foam at the moment so I have to improvise with what I currently have.

All foam with reasonable density that I have had access to has been packing foam, such as the ones that hold some headphones in place inside their retail boxes (i.e. Grados).
You will likely be able to find the sponge wedges in the cosmetic aisle of the supermarket, the non-scratch scrubber too.

Cheers.

May 14, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #22,967 of 27,137
All foam with reasonable density that I have had access to has been packing foam, such as the ones that hold some headphones in place inside their retail boxes (i.e. Grados).
You will likely be able to find the sponge wedges in the cosmetic aisle of the supermarket, the non-scratch scrubber too.

Cheers.

Talking about foam, anyone knows where to find 1,5-2,5 mm black/grey open cell foam to put in front and back of the driver? Large sheets or roll would be preferrable. I've found sheets for drying dishes, but only white or yellow.

May 14, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #22,968 of 27,137
Continuation from my current project. I took some of the suggestions from all of you and used them in this mod.

I bent the metal headbands to increase the clamp as I noticed that pressing the cups on to my ears also improved the bass response. I also got sick of the anemic bass that I couldn't coax out so I drilled a hole in the cups in the place which I thought would least ruin them. I need some acetone to get rid of the white stains though...

Close-up of one of the cups.

Arctic bamboo in the back of the cup to damp the bass port.

A donut of foam I dredged up from packaging on top of the AB.

A donut of arctic cotton (sorry for the blur).

And a donut of arctic bamboo to round it off.

This is the front of the baffle. Sealed the holes I drilled into the baffle earlier, put a ring of paxmate along the driver diameter and put a piece of arctic bamboo in front of the driver.
Changes: much better bass (still sub-bass-light and obviously not comparable to my D2K but at least it can thump quite well with EDM now) and a darker sound signature.

May 15, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #22,970 of 27,137
Hi there !

Asking for your help here once again. Just acquired a DUAL DK 830. Anyone ever here opened the baffle on this enclosure?

I'd like to replace the original foam behind the driver, that is well known to decay with time.

Tried to search for this, but no luck.

Here is how it looks:

Could any of you tell me how am I supposed to lockpick this without breaking the plastic baffle?

A nice drawing with paint on this above picture is the best I can hope for...

Thanks in advance!

szerecsen

edit1: forgot to mention that I have found the manual, it is just that it won't help me see how this thing is assembled exactly

edit2: ooops, I did found help in this thread: link

May 15, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #22,972 of 27,137
My maximum respect to you, MDR30.

I already used your pics posted earlier in this thread to disassemble this beauty. Was pretty hard to do it.

before:

after:

I am putting them together at this moment.

Best, and thank you again!

edit: Can I ask why did you glue the driver to the baffle? 
szerecsen

May 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #22,973 of 27,137
I'm designing a new baffle in sketch-up for my latest project as the current ones are getting rather sad, worn and broken. I'm going to drill the holes for the yokes once I actually get the things in the post.

I'm thinking of reinforcing the circular upright ring further but keep debating whether that would be necessary or not.

May 16, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #22,975 of 27,137
That's blutak. I also used thick tape to cover the holes on front of the baffle. Improves bass response markedly.

That it does.

HP 10000 headphones coming up in a little bit, a mod yes but to my mind it is always something I always wanted to use as a shell since it looks like a logical progression to the modern day of the Yamaha HP 100.
Since I got the donor shell free, and since I have a filthy HP-50S imported from Japan here simply in need of a new TRS end, why not, the Planar Dimensional gods are shining on me here. Let's see what happens.

Stock this thing has 40 mm angled drivers. HP1 or YH1 will not fit without serious baffle tweaking. There is a gap around the perimeter of the baffle-to-cup joint where the pad lip slides into. I will use that gap to an advantage by applying a ring of black felt using that area as similar damping found in the HP-1 vents. Might work might not. Then there is the driver variation in the HP-50 series will have to see what happens there also with this particular set of drivers, I do have some other HP-50S  drivers to try if it comes down to it. ( Japan is nice for those..
ph34r.gif
)
Either treating the inside of the shallow cups with Plasti-dip spray or Dynamat overlaid with thin adhesive felt and the obligatory bit of Twaron Angel Hair. Plus whatever is on the driver rears.Maybe try a round version of the T50rp mod damper pads I came up with?
Donor shell is this, already ripped off the extendable microphone, and will remove white writing possibly replaced by proper looking Yamaha HP 10000 decal if i can convince a sign maker pal to do that up.
The top of the headband is a silvery metallic band. What the heck its on the cheap this one. If it is no good for a shell at least i got this silly little idea/ dream out of my system .

May 16, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #22,976 of 27,137
That's blutak. I also used thick tape to cover the holes on front of the baffle. Improves bass response markedly.

Oh, I see now, Blu-Tack it is.

Would you, guys, suggest only to cover the holes marked with the red circles on MDR30's drawing, or all of the larger ones, or even those small ones around the centre hole on the baffle?

From what you say, I feel you suggest to cover all the holes, like this:

Am I correct?

szerecsen

May 16, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #22,977 of 27,137
I ended up covering all the holes.
My reasoning aside from the typical "seal off the baffle as much as I can " type of thinking, 
was that sealing those smaller round holes in that ring on the edge of the driver hole would act as a sort of small bass lens to focus and bring up the bass more. The outer holes on the driver there are still able to slightly breathe because  if I recall correctly the driver sits up on some raised bits that are on the baffle rears.
At least that mod of covering varying degrees of holes is easy to tweak by simply taking off the pads and changing it . No need to open them up for that if you do it from the outside with tape or decals.

May 16, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #22,978 of 27,137

Oh, I see now, Blu-Tack it is.

Would you, guys, suggest only to cover the holes marked with the red circles on MDR30's drawing, or all of the larger ones, or even those small ones around the centre hole on the baffle?

From what you say, I feel you suggest to cover all the holes, like this:

Am I correct?

szerecsen

I tried several different ways, but they are also dependant of the pads - most PMB pads have lost their pleather, and it's difficult to find good replacements.

I kept the "white pads" (pleather gone) and made sure the blutak covered all openings around the driver. Taped over all holes in the baffle, covering also the small crack between the baffle's two plastic parts,  except the small round ones around the inner rim. This sounded best to my ears. I also tried fixing the pads with double sided tape, but this made the sound too closed in - the pads need to breath a Little.

May 16, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #22,979 of 27,137
Think I ended up using HM5 pads. From the old  catalogs the modern MB Quart pads sure look the same as stock. Thomann has them I think as do MB Quart or whatever their company is called now. I lose track on that one.
Photo courtesy of Wikiphonia:

On a side note be careful if you decide to bypass that inline volume control the wiring in the cable is strange and doesn't like different solder very much.

May 16, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #22,980 of 27,137
My pads too have lost the pleather.

(One of the most beautiful phones I own)

I always keep a stock of cheap ebay replacement k240/DT880 pads in my cabinet. You need'em quite often when collecting vintage cans. :) They do fit quite well on the DK 830, too.

For info: I used 6mm thick black open cell foam for dampening replacement.

Well, I am going cover all the holes from the otside with duct tape. I do not wish to disassemble them once again.

Thanks for you help, guys, once again!

Best,

szerecsen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back